Unable to buy cooking ingredients from the mall

T_E

Hello~

I'm trying to have Mafia craft Olive Lo Meins for me but it will not purchase the spices needed.

I have the box "buy items from the mall whenever needed" in Preferences/General checked, I've checked to ensure that I do indeed have a dramatic range (and the meat to purchase the items needed), but I'm still unable to buy spices. If I manually buy spices from the mall Mafia will craft the Olive Lo Mein for me.

I've had this issue before and manually bought the items rather than ask how to solve it. I'm in aftercore for a few days so I thought I'd check and see if there's an easy fix/setting I'm missing. I'm running Daily Build 8674.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

xKiv

FWIW, I had mafia craft lo meins without a hitch yesterday.

Are you at the end of a oxy/booze/BM run? Did you try closing mafia, reopening and trying again?

Also, what does CLI say at the point where you expect it to buy the spices? Prices have been destabilized recently, maybe mafia has a slight problem with that (doubtful, but can't think of anything definitive)?

Do you also have buying from NPCs enabled in preferences (that shouldn't be it, but I do and it works for me)?

What's your autoBuyPriceLimit preference? It's 20000 by default (i.e. when get autoBuyPriceLimit "doesn't print anything" in the CLI), but if you have it set below the price of spices, they won't get autobought.

Can't think of anything else ...

T_E

Thank you for responding (despite my stupid typo in the thread title which I can't seem to fix- I'd change it to "Unable to buy cooking ingredients from the Mall" if I could).

I am in aftercore following a HCNP run.

I have tried closing Mafia and opening again. I've even downloaded a different build (the latest) and still no luck.

I do have buying from NPCs enabled, and it will purchase the olives from the Hippies so the issue is with Mall purchasing only, it seems.

I am trying to cook them from the Item Manager tab, in the Useable/Food area OR in the Creatable/cookable area.

They can only be cooked in the Useable/Food area if I manually buy the spices from the mall.

I cannot type Olive Lo Mein into the Creatable/Food area at all.

When I try to cook them in the GLI it works, however it purchases the Olive Stir Fry from the mall rather than spices.

My get autoBuyPriceLimit returns 20000 as expected.

I'd like Mafia to craft my consumables from the Creatable/Cookable area so that I may choose the best options for adv/full. This trouble is keeping me from doing this.

I'm baffled.

Last edited:

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Thank you for responding (despite my stupid typo in the thread title which I can't seem to fix- I'd change it to "Unable to buy cooking ingredients from the Mall" if I could).
I changed the thread title.

I am in aftercore following a HCNP run.
The Usable/Food tab is/was an experimental feature added to help you out in-run to decide what you can make with currently available ingredients.

I do have buying from NPCs enabled, and it will purchase the olives from the Hippies so the issue is with Mall purchasing only, it seems.
In-run, the NPCs stores are available - and the price of everything they sell is known and fixed. With that checkbox, KoLmafia can accurately decide how many of a particular item you can afford to make by using items in inventory and items purchasable from NPCs.

I am trying to cook them from the Item Manager tab, in the Useable/Food area OR in the Creatable/cookable area.
They can only be cooked in the Useable/Food area if I manually buy the spices from the mall.
I cannot type Olive Lo Mein into the Creatable/Food area at all.
Bingo. The feature is working as designed/intended.

When I try to cook them in the CLI it works, however it purchases the Olive Stir Fry from the mall rather than spices.
Uh huh. See the discussion on the current page of the main forum about a similar "problem". The issue is that KoLmafia looks at whether it cheaper to buy ingredients or the final product and chooses the cheapest alternative - and items in inventory are NOT considered to be "free" for this determination.

I'd like Mafia to craft my consumables from the Creatable/Cookable area so that I may choose the best options for adv/full. This trouble is keeping me from doing this.
It sounds like you want KoLmafia to show you every single food in the game, complete with adv and stat gains, showing cost to "acquire". That could be a useful or interesting aftercore feature, but we don't have it.

The "trouble" you are having is lack of a feature, not a bug in an existing feature.

T_E

Thank you, Veracity- that clears up my question quite nicely. I had a feeling that it was something I had either incorrectly configured or was approaching from an erroneous perspective/expectation. It appears to be the later on my part, and I'll switch over to using the functionality as intended. I appreciate your answer (and Mafia!). :)