Problems with the daily build

linguinelad

Hi, I've downloaded daily builds 8199 thru 8204.

I always have Windows Task Manager to watch for things and I've noticed that when I do right-click and choose open the dailybuild with java(TM) platform SE binary the javaw.exe shows up on the list in Windows Task Manager like it's supposed to, but then disappears and the daily build doesn't open. What's going on? This happens with dailybuilds for me sometimes, so then I have to use the latest version of Kolmafia (.exe) instead.

If it helps, I have Microsoft Vista and I don't have much running. I have all that useless crap closed like the sidebar and stuff.

Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

***edit****

just checked my programs to see what the latest Java I have and notice its Java(tm) update 17 installed. I'm going to try downloading version 6 update 18 and hopefully this will fix my problem.

***edit***
ok so I've downloaded and installed and Java version 6 update 18 won't fix the problem. Still can't open build 8204. I'll see if downloading the newest java(TM) platform SE binary will help.

***edit***

so it appears I have the latest version of java platfrorm se binary. idk. this sucks.

****edit****

I just tried version 8607 and it STILL won't open. Could I get some help here?

Thanks.

xKiv

I have seen systems where "open with java ..." on file X just executed java X; jar files need to heave java -jar X executed on them. I think I fixed that with total commander - standard windows tools don't make it exactly intuitive ...

Idran

Try the solution in this post, linguinelad - http://kolmafia.us/showthread.php?3187-jar-file-issues-with-windows-7&p=21662&viewfull=1#post21662. Though skip the "path\to\your\javaw.exe" line; that's just its way of saying "if it's not installed in the usual place, type this instead". This solution is for windows 7, but the same thing should work for Vista.

The problem is you can't just open it with Java, javaw requires command line options to open a JAR file correctly. This tells Windows what options to use so you can just double-click on the file afterwards. After you try this fix, don't try the right-click method for the JAR file, try just double-clicking on it.

(If you don't know how to open a command prompt with "Run as administrator", type "cmd" into the start menu bar, right-click on cmd.exe, and choose "Run as administrator" there.)

Last edited:

linguinelad

Try the solution in this post, linguinelad - http://kolmafia.us/showthread.php?3187-jar-file-issues-with-windows-7&p=21662&viewfull=1#post21662. Though skip the "path\to\your\javaw.exe" line; that's just its way of saying "if it's not installed in the usual place, type this instead". This solution is for windows 7, but the same thing should work for Vista.

The problem is you can't just open it with Java, javaw requires command line options to open a JAR file correctly. This tells Windows what options to use so you can just double-click on the file afterwards. After you try this fix, don't try the right-click method for the JAR file, try just double-clicking on it.

(If you don't know how to open a command prompt with "Run as administrator", type "cmd" into the start menu bar, right-click on cmd.exe, and choose "Run as administrator" there.)

Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You !!!!!!
I right-clicked it and selected "Choose Default Program" and I selected the appropriate program. Now all I do is double-click on the Daily Build and it works!!!!!!!!! Thanks again!!!!! :)