Answer: Why do the lines get combined when I copy paste from the gcli?

A question I have been asked many times.

There are a few methods of addressing what happens when a user is typing a document and presses enter.
Some Macintosh computers put an invisible control character into the document called a carriage return or cr for short.
Most simple Windows based applications use 2 control characters called carriage return/line feed or cr/lf for short.
There are other methods based on the application running.

If kolmafia uses Macintosh format (or a format not listed), then when you copy the text from kolmafia to a windows application the text has no cr/lf combination (only cr is used) so the windows application recognizes everything pasted into it as 1 string. Other possibility: The control characters are just not there for some reason.

The simple explanation...kolmafia and the program you are pasting to speak 2 different languages which are close to the same, but different enough to make a mess of things.

I will be pointing others to this thread when the question is asked of me later, so if this answer is wrong please correct me.

holatuwol

Developer
The real reason is actually not so straightforward:

http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=4988885

Actually, I guess it is straightforward. Line breaks aren't line breaks -- they're spaces. Unfortunately, there's no clear way to fix this (as far as I know, anyway), but if there is, I'd certainly like to know about it. I keep investing hour after hour following the wrong path, and the lack of productivity is really, really disheartening.