Global Preferences don't load at startup

RogerMexico

When I started mafia up this morning, it opened up the global preferences setting as if I had never run it before. It appears that it is not loading the global preferences or any of the character settings. This has happened to me multiple times in the past and I'm wondering if there is an easy way I can fix it once and for all.

I run mafia from a usb drive, sometimes under Windows (sometimes XP, sometimes 7) and Ubuntu linux (almost always the current version). Under ubuntu, .kolmafia is a symlink to the folder on the USB drive. Most days this works just fine. About once a month or so, mafia just loses all my settings. Log files are no longer recognized by the AscensionLogVisualizer when this happens. It doesn't really interfere with me playing, but it is annoying to have to reset all those settings.

I had backed up mafia to another folder a couple months back, and can see that the savestate.charname lines are missing from Global_prefs.txt. Using diff to compare the two files I find no other differences.

I'm currently running 8411, I update mafia infrequently, usually major releases and when there is support for new content or some problem gets fixed.

Suggestions?

RogerMexico

After shutting the computer down and returning a few hours later, mafia now loads the correct settings. Initially I didn't think it had, because it did not have the most recently logged in character filled in at the login screen, but there they were in the pull down list, and it remembers at least my bang potion list.

In the past when this has happened, restarting mafia has not helped. I don't know if something has changed to make this work better or if I just got lucky this time, but I'm still curious what causes this to happen at all.