Bug - Fixed Bird form attack without MP causes freeze and more

Hi! I've brought this up twice, I think, in the Forums of Loathing; but I hadn't seen a response.
If I use a CCS like this:
[ default ]
1: try to steal an item
2: skill vicious talon slash
5: attack with weapon
and I run out of MP to do the slash, KoLmafia freezes, still trying to adventure. Infinitely, I assume (since I don't wait forever, just maybe several minutes at most). It will stop with the "Stop Now" button or ESC. However, after that it will not adventure at all. No CCS. No "Attack with weapon." Nothing. If I try to adventure in the Main Interface or relay browser, it begins and gets stuck again. Not only that, it will generally only do one thing, then get stuck in its red-face mode. I guess I pissed it off. Like it might make & use 2 Hell ramen from the Item Manager tab, but then it goes reds (holding its breath?) and will not do anything else until I perform some action in the relay browser (like go to inventory or terrarium, manually adventure, just about anything). Main Interface green again, and I can do onething in it again. Then it's red. Over and over.
Sometimes, I have adventured or done other things in the relay browser, and tried automated adventuring through the Main Interface again, and it... sort of works. Kind of. The progress bar stays where it got stuck, even though it counts adventures; and after the last adventure is finished, it says it's still on it (20 of 20, or what have you). Or the progress bar stays solid white, or solid black with the same counting and getting-stuck-on-last behavior.

Sometimes all I have to do is exit KoLmafia, and then log back in.
Other times it seems I have to restart my computer. Restarting KoLmafia doesn't fix what's wrong. But after I reboot, it works normally.
This has been happening for... years? How long has the llama been out? On two different Windows XP computers.

Since I only do Hardcore runs, I often don't want it to restore MP at all; so I have KoLmafia set to not do that. This choice works very, very well for me except when I run out of MP while auto-adventuring in bird form. It occurs to me that I could change this setting. I would rather have KoLmafi abort out of adventuring if I run out of MP while tryign to do bird form attacks, to give me control over what comes next.

Was this post too long? Maybe you didn't read it due to length? I'll summarize: Bird form attack without MP causes freeze and more.

Spiny

It might help to know what build of mafia you're using. It may also help to capture the occurence in a debug log and post that. Someone else may come along with something more helpful to say.

jasonharper

Developer
A current mafia build would have avoided this problem, although it would have just skipped the talon slashes and gone directly to the attack when MP ran out, rather than aborting as you wanted. r8463 will cleanly abort if you run out of MP in Birdform and have in-combat restoration turned on.

The combination of Birdform + insufficient MP + in-combat restoration enabled was actually crashing the program; it's not at all surprising that things weren't working quite right afterwards. However, I find it hard to believe that anything more than a mafia restart would be required to fix things.

Sorry I neglected to mention my current build / version number. I nearly never use daily builds, just the versions from kolmafia.sourceforge.net. Since it had been happening for as long as I could remember, and the llama came out in June 2008, I might have assumed it wasn't relevant. Ha! Silly me -- since the behavior had already been changed as jasonharper notes.
I noticed the change to abort in v14.1, and I have been very grateful. It was exciting the first time it popped up the mini-browser for me!
As far as maybe needing more than a mafia restart... well, I am using Windows. :D
Thank you so much for KoLmafia, for all the fixes and improvements and added features, for the support and help!