The "complain to Jick" issue

Hey guys.
(hope this is the right forum for this)

So, I'm continiously getting the complain to Jick error whenever I go adventuring. Practically every adventure I get the error, and get a "request synch" when I try again.
Now, since I can't see anyone else complaining about this, I assume I'm the only one suffering from this, which means it's probably on my end.
This occures with all versions of mafia, including the new and spiffy 13.8
Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Are you using greasemonkey? My guess is that you have a greasemonkey script (or possibly a mafia script) trying to visit a kol page you don't have access to after every adventure. That's only speculation though.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
The "complain to Jick" error should tell you exactly which page it tried to visit. So, which is it?

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Interesting. I suppose if you try to visit fight.php after the fight is all over, you might get that. When you say you "go adventuring", what are you doing? Using KoLmafia's GUI and saying "go to the castle for 10 turns", for example, or in the relay browser, or what? Since you say you get a Request Synch (i.e. Mini-Browser), I assume it's the former, but details would help...

linguinelad

Hey guys.
(hope this is the right forum for this)

So, I'm continiously getting the complain to Jick error whenever I go adventuring. Practically every adventure I get the error, and get a "request synch" when I try again.
Now, since I can't see anyone else complaining about this, I assume I'm the only one suffering from this, which means it's probably on my end.
This occures with all versions of mafia, including the new and spiffy 13.8
Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Complain to Jick.

This is wierd- it happens less often the last couple of days. I actually got through a whole session without error. Happened several times today though.
Anyways- yes, I'm using the GUI, not the mini browser.

edit: (a minute later) aaaand it happens every adventure again. Blech.

Last edited:

CookiMonster

Complain to Jick.

I know it says "complain to Jick" but I'm having this issue too, just in mafia. If it were something wrong with KoL wouldn't I have the same issue in Google chrome? Because I don't. I don't even have any extra scripts downloaded, just installed Mafia 13.8 two days ago and trying to learn how to use it. Everytime I log in or try to do something I keep getting "Server www7.kingdomofloathing.com returned a blank page from inventory.php. Complain to Jick, not us." but if I log out of mafia and just use my regular web browser my inventory loads in 3 seconds so is it really Jick's fault?
It changes anytime I try to do something depending on where it is I'm trying to access. It just changes to that url with the same message like "Server www7.kingdomofloathing.com returned a blank page from campground.php. Complain to Jick, not us." or "Server www7.kingdomofloathing.com returned a blank page from closet.php. Complain to Jick, not us." etc.
So I'm wondering how to fix this?

transwarp

I have the same issue.
It persists as long as I'm logged in, but if I log out and back in I can usually access the page again.
I've also seen it happen for using the Arena, shrugging off buffs in the charsheet, and making purchases in the mall.
Using the relay browser, if I click on a link that isn't working in Mafia (e.g., "shrug off"), Firefox prompts me to download the php file as plain text.

I'm also using 13.8.

Next time it happens, I'm going to run wireshark and see what's going on.

tgetgel

I had the problem with a blank page from submitnewchat.php with a character I am running for someone else. Turns out that the character had not been to the alter of literacy yet.

Most of the issues I have had with blank pages are because some precondition had not been satisfied. Once that was resolved (although it is not always easy to find out what it is) the blank pages went away.

Other occasions I have received page unavailable errors in the browser. I give assymetrix a while to fix the issue and try again.

When I get wide spread issues, I do as transwarp said - exit and try again.

tgetgel

I have hit this issue again. Different servers, different pages: server 7, charpane.php (after 15th adventure in castle), and server 2, searchmall.php (BaleCC checking counters and searching for cube of billiard chalk). Also from server 2, inventory.php (updating consumable items right after logon).
Running latest daily build (r8713) and script from command prompt. Script unchanged.

What I wish would happen is that mafia would attempt to reload or refresh the blank page and not abort the script/automation. This would be especially useful if running unattended, i.e. vacation script or stepped out for a while.