autoBasement.ash - Better basement automation

Lady Kirie

Posting to list a few problems that I'm finding with the script, but before I do that, I do want to say that this is a wonderful script, and I'm so glad it's here. I've been using Mafia and a few other scripts for some time now, but I came to the forums specifically to look for something like this, joined to download it, and I love it. So, thanks. <3

However, I am experiencing a few small issues that I was thinking should be brought to your attention:

1) (this being the most annoying one) MP Draining. For some reason, the script keeps equipping a Moxie Magnet in my off-hand for the MP draining levels, even going so far as to buy one after I autosold it to be rid of it. This wouldn't be a problem except that WITHOUT the magnet, my Mysticality is enough to give me more than the necessary about of MP, but WITH the magnet I get a "unable to buff mp to X, quitting" message and then the script quits. I am a DB, for what it's worth, but I'm not quite sure how to get around this without just doing those particular adventures manually and then just resuming the script afterwards.

(less annoying from here on out)

2) For whatever reason, the script displays:
Fernswarthy's Basement (Level 46)
Elemental Resist Test: +11 cold 76% (249 hp), +9 spooky 70% (312 hp)
Whenever the CLI displays my number of turns. Not a big deal at all, just kind of weird. This continued to happen after I quit and re-opened Mafia.

3) Often times, when I have to start the script back up (either from a white screen error or from the above listed MP Draining error), it will go and check my outfits again, but will try to equip a Sugar Shield on my familiar, only for the script to quit because I don't have a familiar equipped for whatever reason. Simple to fix, since I can just take a familiar out of the terrarium and start up again, but just weird.

4) Not a problem with the script, but I think you might want to be a bit more obvious about your explanation of Modifying Settings on the main page. I know I'm not the most script-literate person around, but that line made no sense to me when I was reading the first post. However, I noticed myself having troubles altering the script (every other script I've changed has been done by altering the text in the script file itself), and it wasn't until I read through this thread that I found the solution about typing things into the CLI. It was only after that that I understood the statement on the top of the first post, so clarifying that for future Basement-divers who are not as script-savvy (like me), might solve some problems for them down the road.

Anyway, thanks again for making and sharing this with us! <3

Rinn

Developer
Posting to list a few problems that I'm finding with the script, but before I do that, I do want to say that this is a wonderful script, and I'm so glad it's here. I've been using Mafia and a few other scripts for some time now, but I came to the forums specifically to look for something like this, joined to download it, and I love it. So, thanks. <3

However, I am experiencing a few small issues that I was thinking should be brought to your attention:

1) (this being the most annoying one) MP Draining. For some reason, the script keeps equipping a Moxie Magnet in my off-hand for the MP draining levels, even going so far as to buy one after I autosold it to be rid of it. This wouldn't be a problem except that WITHOUT the magnet, my Mysticality is enough to give me more than the necessary about of MP, but WITH the magnet I get a "unable to buff mp to X, quitting" message and then the script quits. I am a DB, for what it's worth, but I'm not quite sure how to get around this without just doing those particular adventures manually and then just resuming the script afterwards.

(less annoying from here on out)
I'll remove the moxie magnet thing, I didn't want it included in the first place honestly.

2) For whatever reason, the script displays:
Fernswarthy's Basement (Level 46)
Elemental Resist Test: +11 cold 76% (249 hp), +9 spooky 70% (312 hp)
Whenever the CLI displays my number of turns. Not a big deal at all, just kind of weird. This continued to happen after I quit and re-opened Mafia.
The cli displays the incorrect basement level because mafia only updates the level it thinks your on when you actually visit the basement in the relay browser.

3) Often times, when I have to start the script back up (either from a white screen error or from the above listed MP Draining error), it will go and check my outfits again, but will try to equip a Sugar Shield on my familiar, only for the script to quit because I don't have a familiar equipped for whatever reason. Simple to fix, since I can just take a familiar out of the terrarium and start up again, but just weird.
I also suppose I have to do -familiar if you don't own a disembodied hand.

4) Not a problem with the script, but I think you might want to be a bit more obvious about your explanation of Modifying Settings on the main page. I know I'm not the most script-literate person around, but that line made no sense to me when I was reading the first post. However, I noticed myself having troubles altering the script (every other script I've changed has been done by altering the text in the script file itself), and it wasn't until I read through this thread that I found the solution about typing things into the CLI. It was only after that that I understood the statement on the top of the first post, so clarifying that for future Basement-divers who are not as script-savvy (like me), might solve some problems for them down the road.

Anyway, thanks again for making and sharing this with us! <3
I don't know how much clearer I can be besides specifying that editing the settings in the script file it self does nothing, you have to use the cli.

Anyway new version up give it a try.

Last edited:

Lady Kirie

Thank you for responding so quickly, and with a new version, too! Hopefully this will help everyone, and not just myself. I'll give it a try tomorrow morning after rollover.

Thanks again~

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
The cli displays the incorrect basement level because mafia only updates the level it thinks your on when you actually visit the basement in the relay browser.
I should probably look into this.

Rats. I thought I was done with the basement; I am SO tired of it...

tgetgel

Yeah so am I, this is my 7th run actually I'll be glad to be finished.

This is my first run! Thanks for your efforts and for sharing!

I have had trouble with some of the monsters. I found out through chat how to deal with them - divine party favors, but I was half expecting/hoping that either SS, FTF, or autoBasement would have figured out what was needed and purchased/used the appropriate items for the combats. Before knowing about using diving party favors on them, they would kill me before I could kill them.

I have updated my CCS to deal with this. May be overkill for some of the monsters.
[ fernswarthy's basement ]
1: consult SmartStasis.ash
2: item divine noisemaker
4: skill spectral snapper
6: item divine noisemaker

Maybe something like use the divine party favor that corresponds to the highest buffed stat?

Last edited:

Rinn

Developer
You have to finish this script first, because I have one more left on my sc, and four more on my hc character. :)
For all intensive purposes this script is done. I've used less refined versions to do several basement runs with minimal hassle already.

This is my first run! Thanks for your efforts and for sharing!

I have had trouble with some of the monsters. I found out through chat how to deal with them - divine party favors, but I was half expecting/hoping that either SS, FTF, or autoBasement would have figured out what was needed and purchased/used the appropriate items for the combats. Before knowing about using diving party favors on them, they would kill me before I could kill them.

I have updated my CCS to deal with this. May be overkill for some of the monsters.
1: consult SmartStasis.ash
2: item divine noisemaker
4: skill spectral snapper
6: item divine noisemaker

Maybe something like use the divine party favor that corresponds to the highest buffed stat?

I wouldn't use SmartStasis, divine favors are probably your best bet unless you have a lot of skills and nice items. Personally I always just buff muscle and kill everything with spectral snapper, but I also have a navel ring so I'm avoiding a ton of damage. It's my opinion that muscle is the way to go even if you're using divines so you have enough hp to survive.

This is my CCS if you're curious.
Code:
1: skill entangling noodles
2: skill spectral snapper
Even before I had the navel ring this practically never failed me until extremely high basement levels as long as I was buffing muscle to an amount near what a muscle test of the same basement level would call for.

Last edited:
Personally I always just buff muscle and kill everything with spectral snapper, but I also have a navel ring so I'm avoiding a ton of damage. It's my opinion that muscle is the way to go even if you're using divines so you have enough hp to survive.

Code:

hmmm. That's so much easier than mine.

Code:
basement.ccs

[ bottles of beer on a golem ]
2: item divine can of silly string

[ default ]
2: skill saucegeyser

[ ghost of fernswarthy ]
2: item love song of smoldering passion

This was the issue my last run, I wanted to buff myst (my mainstat) and spell sling but it just didn't want to do that.

Now, hey, I'm totally grateful, and if the script is written to buff muscle, I can probably comply with that next time. I find that at a certain point, I have to buff muscle to have the hp for the elemental tests anyway, especially when muscle is an offstat.

I'm also super intrigued by spectral snapper now and may perm it soonerish.

Rinn

Developer
I actually put the stat to buff for combats on the setting 'autoBasement_combat_stat' so if you're inclined you could change it to Moxie or Mysticality.

Code:
zlib autoBasement_combat_stat = Mysticality

tgetgel

divine favors are probably your best bet unless you have a lot of skills and nice items. Personally I always just buff muscle and kill everything with spectral snapper, but I also have a navel ring so I'm avoiding a ton of damage. It's my opinion that muscle is the way to go even if you're using divines so you have enough hp to survive.

This character has not yet ascended, so not so many skills, and not much nice stuff.
Code:

I guess I need something else for the entangling noodles skill so that I can survive long enough. I now have to figure out how to get to 5000 MP for level 396! I guess I can change the break level from 5000 to something higher and let the script do it.

carlwebb

I just installed zlib and autoBasement for the first time, and ran autoBasement. During the optimization phase, I noticed a couple of messages to the effect that an outfit couldn't be equpped. Then in the first combat, against a hydra, it went enough rounds that it timed out. While trying to figure out what happened, I noticed that I no longer seem to have my Brimstone Bludgeon, which I'd been using in many of my basementing outfits when basementing by hand. I checked inventory, my closet, and my display case, and did so not using Mafia as well, in case it was some sort of display issue. Can anyone think of any circumstances where any of the scripts would try to smash equipment?

Rinn

Developer
I'm going to assume you have a disembodied hand and it's equipped on it. It should probably unequip the hand before maximizing every time to make sure whatever is equipped on it is used when the hand isn't in use. I've never noticed this problem because I'm always using Whackin' Sticks and I have 3 of them so there's never a conflict.

Last edited:

tgetgel

Keep some fullness to use Dr Lucifers. The script will do that for you.

Good to know! :D

Updated CCS. Using kneebutt since I don't have entangling noodles to stun opponents.
1: skill head + knee + shield combo

carlwebb

Thanks, Rinn! That is precisely the case. Not having ever given my disembodied hand the use it deserves, my terrarium was one place I didn't think to look.

I think I may be able to breathe again now...

slyz

Developer
Can anyone think of any circumstances where any of the scripts would try to smash equipment?

I don't think anyone on these forums would release a script that contains even the remotest possibility of destroying anything without printing it in big red bold flashing letters in the opening post.

tgetgel

Can anyone think of any circumstances where any of the scripts would try to smash equipment?

I have a script that cleans up some of the castle stuff - smashes (if able) or sends to wadbot for smashing. I run that every time I farm the castle. Not released - just personal. If you are OCD about inventory control, there are ways though.

Last edited:

carlwebb

I don't think anyone on these forums would release a script that contains even the remotest possibility of destroying anything without printing it in big red bold flashing letters in the opening post.

Oh, it didn't seem likely to me, either, and I didn't mean to suggest malice. It's just that after eliminating what I *thought* was every other possibility, I was wondering if some obscure interaction in the software might have smashed the item as an unintended consequence. I've certainly had Mafia surprise me before, though never quite as unpleasantly as what *seemed* to have happened here.

I was certainly hoping I'd be proven wrong, and I don't think I can remember a time where I was this glad that I was.