Scripting the birth of a new life.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I liked Bees Hate You well enough, but I got sort of burned out when I did 10 fast-ish softcore ascensions on the path so that I could simultaneously get my last softcore tattoos and HC perm the last skills. I just finished another BHY run so I could have a Crow in my Terrarium, and I was astonished how much I'd forgotten about what changes it required - and I screwed up a lot. I added at least a day to my run because, for example, I forgot to use Inigos to compensate for lack of box servants, I carefully planned a Wossname war plan so I could test my "detect Wossname win and log stats and item drops" fix, only to remember that the Junkyard and Arena sidequests were impossible, and on and on. I say Good riddance.

I love Fistcore. I have Kung Fu Hustler permed, which made things easier, the new clip art halos seem made for the path, I loved the flavor (ah, if only there were wandering martial artists to fight, a la bees in BHY!), and it was just a whole lot of fun.

I really dislike Trendy. I suppose it is intended to let people (who have all the old stuff) constantly have a different set of restrictions, since each month adds a new set of old content you can't use - and it means that a newish player only has to have the last year's worth of IOTMs and such to compete - but I found it irritating, rather than challenging and fun.

I look forward to something fun coming in a couple of days.

zarqon

Very much agreed, Veracity. Also:

I just finished another BHY run so I could have a Crow in my Terrarium

I would like to point out that my 99% Blackbird and 99% Crow runs were completed before this trivial update that practically negated all my hard work. Grrrrrrrrr! On the flip side, no one else has a chance to experience that unique challenge anymore.

xKiv

I would like to point out that my 99% Blackbird and 99% Crow runs were completed before this trivial update that practically negated all my hard work. Grrrrrrrrr! On the flip side, no one else has a chance to experience that unique challenge anymore.

Except people in Bad Moon.

zarqon

Except people in Bad Moon.

I thought the biggest part of the challenge was minimizing the amount of combats after losing the bird, and being able to accurately estimate that number beforehand so as to accrue enough combats with the bird to offset them. Knowing that number already when you get the bird is too easy. I stand by my comment.

xKiv

I thought the biggest part of the challenge was minimizing the amount of combats after losing the bird, and being able to accurately estimate that number beforehand so as to accrue enough combats with the bird to offset them. Knowing that number already when you get the bird is too easy. I stand by my comment.

How is anybody prevented from not knowing that number, in an ascension mode that has different (more?) restrictions (like no permed skills, no familiars from previous runs, and no completed 99% run on koldb)?

stannius

How is anybody prevented from not knowing that number, in an ascension mode that has different (more?) restrictions (like no permed skills, no familiars from previous runs, and no completed 99% run on koldb)?

Before the change to the blackbird (and crow), at some point you would have to let the bird fly free. That point was before you were given the rest of the level 11 quest, and both the level 12 and 13 (sorceress) quests. So you had to estimate how many turns combat turns those would take, and fit that in your 10%.

Of course it was a lot harder before the fax machine existed.

Bale

Minion
KoLmafia doesn't yet support being an Avatar of Boris, but newLife does!

Updated newLife to v1.9

• Support new challenge Path: Avatar of Boris

Last edited:

AlbinoRhino

I see that visit_toot() has been disabled in this version. Which means it didn't get the gems, or the items dependent on them. Was there some reason for that change ?

Bale

Minion
I see that visit_toot() has been disabled in this version. Which means it didn't get the gems, or the items dependent on them. Was there some reason for that change ?

Nope, no reason at all. I just didn't want it doing that while I was debugging it. Then I forgot. Oops. I'll go fix it now.

Updated newLife to v1.9.1

• I didn't give a toot about the Toot. Now I do.

Bale

Minion
Updated newLife to v1.9.2

• Made a boo-boo which causes incompatibility with r10499 which was just released.

Theraze

Thought... how about automatically clearing is_100_run if it's a Boris run? Since there's never going to be a time when you want that to stay, even if you'd considered doing a 100% run before, I don't think clearing that should be an issue.

Bale

Minion
It would be smarter for scripts that use is_100_run to check if they are in a Boris run before trying to change familiars. That'd be a bug which affects people who aren't using newLife.