Scripting the birth of a new life.

Bale

Minion
I usually visit the hermit if I plan to open the Moxie Guild. Otherwise I do not. Incidentally, with the hatter, the pail is more valuable than the meat from rat tails.

That will not be included in this script. Deciding to visit the artist is a player's decision.

stannius

I usually visit the artist if I plan to open the Moxie Guild. Otherwise I do not. Incidentally, with the hatter, the pail is more valuable than the meat from rat tails.

That will not be included in this script. Deciding to visit the artist is a player's decision.

FTFY.

Visiting the artist is very run-dependent.
Fist - always
Moxie class - usually
Myst/Muscle - usually not
Trendy - probably not (since the hatter isn't available)
Speedy run - probably not
Lazy run - probably

Unless there is some way to detect if the run is a contest or other speed run (hint: there is no way to detect this) I agree, it's something the player should have to do.

AlbinoRhino

I am curious. I had 175 bricks in my display case which I transferred to my closet before ascending. I notice that the script pulled them all. Is there some reason for that ?

Winterbay

I thought the brick-pulling code was only for HCN, or was that announcing that you had ascended perhaps?

AlbinoRhino

I thought the brick-pulling code was only for HCN, or was that announcing that you had ascended perhaps?

Looking at the code I see it pauses before using the tent based on the clan, but pulls the bricks along with the VIP key independent of that.

Bale

Minion
I figured that since bricks are a free pull there isn't any harm in pulling them for everyone, clannies and non-clannies alike. Is there a reason they should stay in Hangks?

New Seasonal Challenge next week!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm looking forward to updating this script once I know the details.

Last edited:

StDoodle

Minion
Ooh please! Brick anyone in HCN if you can, we'd love you forever! (Bale is a good bet, as the script's author, but I could distribute them well.)

AlbinoRhino

I figured that since bricks are a free pull there isn't any harm in pulling them for everyone, clannies and non-clannies alike. Is there a reason they should stay in Hangks?

No reason. I was just curious as to why they were pulled.

Ooh please! Brick anyone in HCN if you can, we'd love you forever! (Bale is a good bet, as the script's author, but I could distribute them well.)

Will do.

StDoodle

Minion
Feature request! One minute is a short window for clannie-bricking... except near rollover, when it's a long window. Any chance the amount could be set to 30 seconds when gametime_to_int() > 84600000 (ie < 1/2 hour until rollover) and 3 minutes otherwise? Pretty please? (For reference, three minutes is the amount I've found that other HCN'ers have modified their script to use in some cases.)

Bale

Minion
Sure. I'll have to update this script in a few days for the new challenge path. When I do, it might contain this line:

Code:
wait(gametime_to_int() > 84600000? 30: 180);

Does anyone actually ascend 30 minutes before rollover? Seriously! Should I really do that instead of just 180 seconds?

zarqon

I've definitely done -- short on time to play down turns, but don't want to lose the day's turns for the next run. Even more likely if I were ascending to Oxy. I'm not HCN, though. :)

Also looking forward to the new challenge path -- I didn't find Trendy particularly exciting. So far, I think I liked Fistcore the best -- the skills were cool, the meat limitation was just challenging enough, and the flavor was excellent. Plus, yay passive skill!

Winterbay

Also looking forward to the new challenge path -- I didn't find Trendy particularly exciting. So far, I think I liked Fistcore the best -- the skills were cool, the meat limitation was just challenging enough, and the flavor was excellent. Plus, yay passive skill!

Interestingly enough I've found trendy to be very fun (my sub-optimal playing style is very adaptable to what I have and gettign things removed doesn't really matter) and found fistcore to be not very interesting as the fighting was way too simple and nothing really fun was added after you had gathered all the skills once. That said, BHY is still the most fun :)

Bale

Minion
I have to put in my vote for Bees Hate You as the best path so far. I loved the fact that it made me play the game in new and interesting ways. It's fun when I realize I cannot do something because that item/familiar/whatnot has a B in it. I hadn't realized how often I didn't really know the proper name of something until discovering that it has a B in it. I can't recall the last time I solved the War as a hippy until Beecore. Plus the wandering Bees were interesting and challenging.

By contrast, Fistcore only changed a few things. The addition of easy-mode combat skills rather canceled out the challenge of the meat limitation. I liked it and it was fun, but it wasn't as stellar as BHY.

Trendy gave me some of what I was looking for by blocking off some of the easy answers of my older familiars and skills, but honestly it didn't really change enough about how the game is played. In softcore I found it even less interesting than hardcore since I only play softcore to enjoy the neat toys. Fortunately Jick also knows it was a lame path, so I'm sure the next one will be better.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Jick has said that the crimbo-overlapping challenge paths will be more about basic restrictions that a smaller number of people will enjoy (there were two trendy contests before the valhalla revamp, and there will certainly be more in the future) so that most people can be okay skipping them in favor of crimbo content and such. The other three challenge paths each year are supposed to be more along the line of bees and fist as far as interesting mechanics and flavor.