Scripting the birth of a new life.

Bale

Minion
I wish.

Well... since it last round set them to "skip" I wasn't sure if that was intended or not. It does after all prolong your ascension a bit by not doing optimal killings.

It seems that optimal Fisting requires going slightly slower through three zones of the Cyrpt. Once you have enough meat to avoid future farming you can switch those non-combats to skip. Have you done a fast hardcore fist run without getting any meat in the Cyrpt? (I'm defining fast as five days or less.) Perhaps if you got your hardcore fist run down to three days you'd want to skip those non-combats, I don't know. I do know that I got meat in the Cyrpt for my four and five day runs.

Last edited:

Winterbay

I don't do fast... My runs are all along the lines of 6-7 days no matter what sort of restrictions I choose (my last softcore run was 5 days which made me realise that SC karma gathering wasn't for me...). It's a bit odd really...

Bale

Minion
Perhaps if your run is that slow you'll have enough time to farm meat in fistcore that you won't need to spend those turns garnering it from the Cyrpt non-combat. On the other hand a few extra turns doesn't really matter for your runs.

Well that's my spirited defense of my newLife settings for the Cyrpt. I don't keep the non-combats set to meat though, once I garner enough I change the settings. ("Enough" means all I will need, minus 500 or so that I expect to farm later.)

Winterbay

I like the settings, so no complaint really. I generally keep it on meat all the way since as my run is slower I generally feel the need to buy more NPC stuff to cover my food and booze requirements :)

Winterbay

I think they should ban all items created before a year ago, would make playing as an AT slightly more difficult though I guess... :)

Bale

Minion
Oh. Oops. That was an accident 'cause I didn't want it to happen multiple times while I was testing stuff. :(

I'll fix that and re-upload it now. All HCN clannies should re-download it.

Bale

Minion
Updated newLife to v1.8.4

• Added more choice adventures
  • Fixed HCN ascension greeting

I changed a few of the choice adventures during aftercore farming at the pirate's cove. I was surprised to discover the hard way that this script didn't reset them for me! Fixed. Added choice adventures for a few other outfits also, just in case.

Bale

Minion
Updated newLife to v1.8.6

• Refactored some code so that I can easily add new challenge paths.
  • Added user_confirm() to abort and download a new version if the user's challenge path is unknown to this script.
  • Added one more choice adventure

I will thank myself for this update in 2.5 months when the next challenge path is released. Now all items are simply run through a be_good() check so that I can check for the new challenge path by simply adding rules for the new challenge path to the be_good() function. Some other stuff may need to be added to adjust choice adventures, but at least part of this is streamlined now.

Winterbay

A small typo in the latest version:
Code:
Pork Elf stones are being autosold now to garner a stolen accordion, seal toothdetuned radio.

Seems to be missing either a comma or an "and a", or is there a new cool seal toothedetuned radio around that I was hitherto unaware of? :)

Last edited:

Bale

Minion
Seems to be missing either a comma or an "and a", or is there a new cool seal toothedetuned radio around that I was hitherto unaware of?

Thanks. Fixed it.

Updated newLife to v1.8.6.1

• Properly acquire "seal toothdetuned radio"

Winterbay

I'd say both, but don't get me started on the Oxford comma. I was hoping to have a relaxing evening at home.

Also, I love this: "Reason: Add bad joke" :D

I won't then. I've never studied that much English writing so I have no sense on when to use what so I use the rules I would in Swedish which works most of the time, and the ones where it doesn't are often rather obvious :)

Bale

Minion
I've never studied that much English writing so I have no sense on when to use what so I use the rules I would in Swedish which works most of the time, and the ones where it doesn't are often rather obvious :)

I've noticed that people for whom English is a second language frequently write (on the internet) with better English than those for whom English is their native tongue. And when their grasp of the language fails, their mistakes are less anoying. (playhavock excluded for I suspect he's actually a very good writer who does it on purpose -- he makes the wrong errors.)

stannius

Four requests, in decreasing order of how useful I think non-stanniuses would find these features:

Open your pack of astral consumables.

Can we get a preference for check_breakfast()? Sometimes that starting MP is too precious to burn on summons.

I like to set sail for virgin booty manually (so I can hand in the volcano map if I've acquired it). In Fist one should probably never set sail, but that ship has sailed (groan).

Finally, I would love some support for 100% familiar checking. I would definitely prefer something that sets both the bcasc_100familiar preference and the is_100_run var. And what I would really like is to something that will somehow cause an abort (forcing me to fix it before continuing). Too many times I have run bumcheekascend or macguffin.ash or whatever, and had it change from my current 100% familiar to the one from a previous run that I never changed, turning my 100% run into a tour guide run.

Code:
void familiar100(string touristfamiliar)
{
	if(touristfamiliar != "none")
	{
		string norm = normalized(touristfamiliar, "familiar");
		if(norm == "none")
		{
			abort("do not understand familiar " + touristfamiliar);
		}
		touristfamiliar = norm;
		use_familiar(to_familiar(touristfamiliar));
	}

print("100% familiar will be " + touristfamiliar, "green");

// bcasc setting
	set_property("bcasc_100familiar", touristfamiliar);

// zlib setting (shared across scripts)
	setvar("is_100_run", touristfamiliar); // create var if it doesn't exist
	cli_execute("zlib is_100_run = " + touristfamiliar); // set var no matter what
}

Last edited:

Theraze

The is_100_run variable should get set as part of your preAscension script, not postAscension. Especially because newLife will equip your new is_100_run familiar, if it's set. My little preAscension script sets my current familiar as my new 100% run familiar automatically when I ascend, which works beautifully with newLife. Additionally as a problem... if touristfamiliar isn't set, it will leave your is_100_run set but not necessarily what you want it to be.

Basically, I think 100% run stuff, besides equipping familiar, is best outside the scope of this script.

Bale

Minion
Four requests, in decreasing order of how useful I think non-stanniuses would find these features:

Open your pack of astral consumables.

I already do this. (Lines 329-331.) Do you have experience of it not happening?

I like to set sail for virgin booty manually (so I can hand in the volcano map if I've acquired it). In Fist one should probably never set sail, but that ship has sailed (groan).

I understand... I'll think about if I want to add a zlib var to allow this.

Finally, I would love some support for 100% familiar checking. I would definitely prefer something that sets both the bcasc_100familiar preference and the is_100_run var. And what I would really like is to something that will somehow cause an abort (forcing me to fix it before continuing). Too many times I have run bumcheekascend or macguffin.ash or whatever, and had it change from my current 100% familiar to the one from a previous run that I never changed, turning my 100% run into a tour guide run.

There has been some similar discussion in this thread. Nothing will be done because some people like to set their 100 variables before the ascending, some people set their 100 variables after ascending. Other people just don't like to be bothered by the whole thing. Please set up a preAscension script for that, just as Theraze suggests.

stannius

My suggestions were not as helpful as I had intended.

I already do this. (Lines 329-331.) Do you have experience of it not happening?

I had commented out "handle_starting_items()" long ago because it failed in Fist runs. I was also wondering why newlife had stopped equipping starting items. Duh.

I understand... I'll think about if I want to add a zlib var to allow this.

Thanks. How about the breakfast request?

There has been some similar discussion in this thread. Nothing will be done because some people like to set their 100 variables before the ascending, some people set their 100 variables after ascending. Other people just don't like to be bothered by the whole thing. Please set up a preAscension script for that, just as Theraze suggests.

Sorry about that... I think I might have been part of that (or a similar) discussion. My mind is like a steel sieve.

Can a preAscension script have a required argument? e.g.
Code:
void main(string touristfamiliar)
{
}
Thus forcing me to set the proper familiar.

I don't use newLife as a post-ascension script. I just run it manually after ascending and when I switch between computers. That's why a pre-ascension script doesn't help me as much as having it in newlife. But, I recognize that I have unusual preferences and/or am doing it wrong, and that changing a public script for my unusual requirements is not good.

I think what I need to do is combine a preascension script and a post-login script. The latter can warn me if is_100 doesn't match my currently equipped familiar.

Not related to your script but, what's funny about is_100_run and bcasc_100familiar is that it seems they can actually subvert mafia's built in 100% familiar run protection.