Scripting the birth of a new life.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
There's a special on pickled eggplant

Is there a need for this to be updated?

I seem to recall that there are parts of it that are conditional on the path and it doesn't do everything if it doesn't recognize the path. That could be updated and there may be settings that have better options for these unsupported paths.

Pazleysox

Despite basically working in kids' English curriculum, I had to look this up. Looks like a great retelling of the story.

It's a fun story. I have young children at home, and when I saw the comment by fronobulax, I knew exactly where it was from. I had also recently read this book too.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Hehe. My kids have been reading by themselves for a couple of decades. At least I think they had to to that to get college degrees ;-)

I remember a telling of the story that follows a question and answer format for much of it.

Who will help me plant the wheat?
Not I said the dog.

and so on.

In the retelling I recall the final question is asked by one of the slackers:

I'm hungry. Who will give me some bread?
Not I said the little red hen.

So I use the phrase idiomatically to mean "No". Sometimes there is an implied "heck no" or a suggestion that the No answer was obvious without asking the question. The former applied for me in the context of this thread since I am not prepared to take on the task of maintaining this script.

Pazleysox

Hehe. My kids have been reading by themselves for a couple of decades. At least I think they had to to that to get college degrees ;-)

I remember a telling of the story that follows a question and answer format for much of it.

Who will help me plant the wheat?
Not I said the dog.

and so on.

In the retelling I recall the final question is asked by one of the slackers:

I'm hungry. Who will give me some bread?
Not I said the little red hen.
My kids are 11, and 6. No college degrees here yet! (lol)

There must be a few stories based around these characters. In the book I have, the little red hen wants to make a pizza, and spends the day buying what she needs, and asking for help, to which the response is (of course) Not I said the dog... When the meal is finished, she says "Who will help me do the dishes", to which everyone except the hen responds "I will"

The reference to the pickled eggplant is she has one in her fridge, and a few pages later they are listed as "Super Savings on pickled eggplant". She buys a bunch of pizza toppings "But no pickled eggplant".

It's interesting to see the little red hen getting her just deserts. I will have to start using that line.

EDIT - my 6 year old is beaming ear to ear to hear someone else knows about the book. She has your copy at her school

Last edited:

Magus_Prime

The only thing I can think of right now is to add all the newer paths to newlife so that it doesn't pop up the unrecognized path warning when it runs.

philmasterplus

The only thing I can think of right now is to add all the newer paths to newlife so that it doesn't pop up the unrecognized path warning when it runs.

Yes. Though I don't know if existing choice configurations are actually applicable/optimal for these newer paths. A compromise would be to display a warning popup that auto-closes after ~30 seconds, which provides the option to abort newlife2.ash.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
zarqon has made reference to changes he has made. Some other discussion suggested it would be ok if NewLife just said it didn't recognize the path and asked if it should continue or abort.