Feature Comprehensive Cartographic Compendium choice adventure spoilers

3BH

In honor of me screwing up and selecting the wrong choice adventure in The Dark Neck of the Woods I propose adding choice adventure spoilers to the Map encounters.

This should provide helpful spoilers to :
  • Choice 1427 is The Hidden Junction
  • Choice 1428 is Your Neck of the Woods
  • Choice 1429 is No Nook Unknown
  • Choice 1430 is Ghostly Memories
  • Choice 1431 is Here There Be Giants
  • Choice 1432 is Mob Maptality
  • Choice 1433 is Hippy camp verge of war Sneaky Sneaky
  • Choice 1434 is frat camp verge of war Sneaky Sneaky
  • Choice 1436 is Billiards Room Options

<attachment removed because of typo, see below>

I have not actually been able to finish testing this with all choice adventures given that I am currently in a run and need to do both frat and war hippy war start to test both versions of Sneaky Sneaky.

Not to derail this patch request, but also, its now very difficult to track neck of the woods progress. What is the reason to not track progress in the individual Friars zones? If it's just that no one has done it yet that's a fine answer.

Last edited:

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Are you proposing a change to questL06Friar?

Looks like it has four values: unstarted, step1, step2 and finished.

Looks to me that step1 is set after the initial visit and step2 after visiting with all three items. Finished means the ritual can be performed.

Since the three items are known, are quest items and drop at the same place it seems to me fairly trivial to do something in ash that checks for which items are needed and thus which locations need to be visited.

So to answer the question I think it is because there is no reason for more/better tracking. Is there a mechanic that has been discovered that suggests this needs to be revisited?

3BH

Since the three items are known, are quest items and drop at the same place it seems to me fairly trivial to do something in ash that checks for which items are needed and thus which locations need to be visited.

Its hard to know how many NCs you have left before you get the item. Say you did 2 noncombats day 1 so you are half done with the neck but you forget by day 2 how many you already had and were trying to allocate your resources optimally. You could have tracked them using ash $location[Dark Neck of The Woods].noncombat_queue looking for the number of noncombats, but "Your neck" skips one. So you have some scenarios where you need 3, like when you have a map skill, and some scenarios where you need 4, like avatar paths where you don't have the map skill.

You are right though, something that can be solved in ash.

Last edited:

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Its hard to know how many NCs you have left before you get the item. Say you did 2 noncombats day 1 so you are half done with the neck but you forget by day 2 how many you already had and were trying to allocate your resources optimally. You could have tracked them using place.locationSeenNoncombats() but for some reason the friars neck cartography adventure doesn't increment place.locationSeenNoncombats().

So might you be saying this is new content because the NC tracking doesn't know about the new NC in the neck?

3BH

Yes I was. I'm still getting used to thinking through how I think mafia ought to behave, because it shouldnt necessarily behave the same way I would write an ash script. I appreciate the questions and responses!

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Yes I was. I'm still getting used to thinking through how I think mafia ought to behave, because it shouldnt necessarily behave the same way I would write an ash script. I appreciate the questions and responses!

In general and historically, mafia devs have been more interested in implementing mafia features for things that benefit much of the user base and cannot be easily scripted. That's a generalization with enough holes to be analogous to Swiss cheese but you get the idea. So if something can be scripted the preferred solution tends to be to help someone write the script. When it is not as easy as first thought then there is motivation to change mafia to make things easier.

With that in mind, the first thing is to wait until the new NCs are properly tracked. Then I would try scripting tracking that was aware of turns and areas. If that was hard, or too broken if users did things outside of mafia then we could flesh out and implement additional tracking.