Problem after trying to update Java

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
I went down another rabbit hole but have to wonder - are the working and non working cases identical in terms of startup - i.e. which things are created as tabs and which are opened as windows?

MCroft

Developer
Staff member
Here's the debug log. Doesn't look like there's anything there. Steps to produce.
1. Double click mafia .jar file
2. Help menu -> Start Debug Log
3. Click login button
4. Wait for something to happen
5. Nothing does
6. Help menu -> Stop Debug Log
7. Quit kolmafia

What's really interesting to me about the attached debug log is what isn't there.
When I run a debug log while logged out, I get
Code:
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
           KoLmafia v20.7 r20454, Mac OS X, Java 13.0.2
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
 Please note: [...]
 Timestamp: Sun Oct 11 21:04:00 CDT 2020
 User: 
 Current run: 916
 MRU Script: Unknown

but Ethelred doesn't have the last part of that.

Code:
         KoLmafia v20.7 r20283, Mac OS X, Java 1.8.0_261
 Timestamp: Wed Aug 05 18:00:47 PDT 2020

Now that's all a block from LogStream.java openStream, so it's weird that it gets that far stops adding lines, and still returns. But it's also the case that the very first line that doesn't show up is
newStream.println( " User: " + KoLCharacter.getUserName());
and that it's fine with me having it blank, but not with Ethelred.

I'm not sure what this all means, but I'm suspicious. Not sure what I'm suspicious of, just suspicious.

Ethelred

I went down another rabbit hole but have to wonder - are the working and non working cases identical in terms of startup - i.e. which things are created as tabs and which are opened as windows?

I'm not quite sure what you're asking here, but I'll try to answer as best I can, perhaps too verbosely.

On the "non-working" system, double-clicking a .jar file only leads to the login window. This login window is the same as the one that appears when double-clicking a .jar file on the "working" system. It has 3 tabs: "KoL Login", "Connection", and "Proxy Settings". The contents of the "Connection" and "Proxy Settings" are the same in both cases. Only "Forcibly time-out laggy requests" is checked in the "Connection" tab and all the fields in the "Proxy Settings" tab are blank.

After a successful login (via double clicking the .jar file on the "working" system, or executing "java -jar <.jar file name>" via a command line on the "non-working" system, the 2 resulting mafia windows are the same: A "Main Interface window" and a "Graphical CLI" window. The "Main Interface window" contains 5 tabs: "Adventure", "Item Manager", "Daily Deeds", "Museum Display", and "Modifier Maximizer". I think that the 2 windows and the 5 tabs are results of configeration decisions I made, but since that hasn't changed in over a decade, my memory is a bit hazy. Modulo any difference due to different KoL characters on the 2 systems, the windows and tabs are the same.

It occured to me a couple of days ago, that perhaps my settings file(s) on the "non-working" system had been somehow corrupted, so I've been going through those. I've been concentrating on "GLOBAL_prefs.txt" since neither of the other GLOBAL files have changed since before the beginning of the year, long before the problem started. So far I haven't found a smoking gun. I got excited when I found that "coinMasterIndex=2" on the "working" system and "coinMasterIndex=26" on the "non-working system", but changing the 26 to 2 didn't change the behavior at all. There were other minor differences, but nothing that struck me as suspicious.

Thanks again for devoting some brain power to this and let me know if I failed to answer your intended question.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
What's really interesting to me about the attached debug log is what isn't there.
When I run a debug log while logged out, I get
Code:
           KoLmafia v20.7 r20454, Mac OS X, Java 13.0.2
 Timestamp: Sun Oct 11 21:04:00 CDT 2020
 User: 
 Current run: 916
 MRU Script: Unknown

but Ethelred doesn't have the last part of that.

Code:
         KoLmafia v20.7 r20283, Mac OS X, Java 1.8.0_261
 Timestamp: Wed Aug 05 18:00:47 PDT 2020

Now that's all a block from LogStream.java openStream, so it's weird that it gets that far stops adding lines, and still returns. But it's also the case that the very first line that doesn't show up is
newStream.println( " User: " + KoLCharacter.getUserName());
and that it's fine with me having it blank, but not with Ethelred.

I'm not sure what this all means, but I'm suspicious. Not sure what I'm suspicious of, just suspicious.

I added that data to the log "recently". It is possible that Ethelred's version and log predate that.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
You answered the question but the settings are in Preferences->Look & Feel->Main Interface . Are the things in "Startup as Windows" the same on both and "Startup in Tabs" similarly the same? (You said Yes).

I found some code that suggested what threads are used or created and the order differs if something is Window instead of a Tab. That could have been a straw to grasp at.

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
Hi! I went looking for this thread since you referenced it briefly in your most recent one.

1. Can you still reproduce this?

2. I agree that it's suspicious that your debug log terminates abruptly before fetching the character name. But that could be a red herring if it's a matter of not flushing writes to disk.

For a point of comparison, do you get the full header if you click "Start Debug Log" immediately followed by "Stop Debug Log"?

The AWT-Event-0 thread is actually not stuck, it's waiting for the next event. None of the other threads look fishy, it's just not doing anything...

After you click log in, is the UI non-responsive? Or can you still click around onto other tabs?

It's fascinating that it doesn't run normally. How is MacOS launching it? Internet suggests there's something called Jar Launcher that's used by default, but you also may be able to select Java to launch it directly. There's also something about the MacOS Console (that's separate from Terminal) which may or may not have additional logs? I don't know if I can help more, I don't own a Mac.