autoscend - a sl_ascend fork/continuation

Malibu Stacey

It has came to my attention that this thread doesn't exist and probably should.

Back in September 2019 when certain details about the KoL dev team were made public, some of the people working on sl_ascend decided to step back from KoL. However there were some of us contributors who wished to continue contributing so a new fork was created with a team owner as this allows people to join and leave without affecting development velocity or requiring users to switch to new forks periodically.
As most of the contributors who left back in September 2019 have returned, autoscend can be considered more of a continuation of sl_ascend than a fork (even soolar himself has updated the sl_ascend repo to indicate this and has been contributing to autoscend since he returned to KoL).

It can be found at https://github.com/Loathing-Associates-Scripting-Society/autoscend

• We recommend reading the ReadMe as it contains important information regarding in-game requirements and recommendations. It is the landing page on the GitHub repo link above.
  • We would prefer issues to be reported through the issue tracker on GitHub (see link above) or in the #autoscend channel in the ASS Discord server. Posts in this thread are much less likely to get a timely response.
  • Contributing code is open to anyone and very much appreciated regardless of skill or ability. Information on how to submit a pull request can be found in the GitHub repo under the docs directory.
  • Keep in mind that our support for paths and IotMs depends entirely upon the volunteers who contribute code changes. If it isn't supported yet, it's because no one has written that code yet. Support for newly released IotMs and challenge paths will generally lag behind their release while spading is conducted by the wider KoL community but we very much appreciate feedback on bugs or potential improvements once we have some basic functionality in place.
  • We primarily target Standard and the current challenge path (whatever that is) for our development efforts. However this does not mean other paths have no support, it means they are a lower priority. Some older paths will receive more support than others for various reasons and we will endeavour to fix any egregious issues in older paths. However bear in mind that the older the path is, the less well supported it will likely be (cc_ascend was originally created to script Actually Ed the Undying which was the Spring 2015 path).

Malibu Stacey

1.4.0 release which adds support for Low-Key Summer along with a great many other changes was just pushed to master.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I might add this to the official list of scripts.

The fact that you outright say you are releasing it here but wil not look at bug reports on this thread is problematical,.

Yes, I have all the info needed to publish it - including s forum thread - but your statement that people in THIS community are second class citizens doesn't sit well.

I'll think about it.

Malibu Stacey

I might add this to the official list of scripts.

The fact that you outright say you are releasing it here but wil not look at bug reports on this thread is problematical,.

Yes, I have all the info needed to publish it - including s forum thread - but your statement that people in THIS community are second class citizens doesn't sit well.

I'll think about it.

I didn't say we won't look at bug reports on this thread. Autoscend is maintained by a team of volunteers, it's not my creation I just "oversee" the management of it as the person who forked it from sl_ascend gave me the appropriate permissions so I continued in his absence.
If people post in here, it'll get looked at eventually I just don't check this part of this forum very regularly (or anywhere that isn't the Bug Reports forum really) and am not about to ask any of the other devs to make it their job either as I don't want anyone to feel like working on autoscend is a job.
I actually only posted this thread because of the response fredg1 got here. fred's one of the main contributors to the only Guide fork (TourGuide) that's had any actual development since Ezandora stopped supporting her scripts last September and I thought I would head off that sort of response to any feature request myself or any other autoscend contributor has before it happens.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I actually only posted this thread because of the response fredg1 got here. fred's one of the main contributors to the only Guide fork (TourGuide) that's had any actual development since Ezandora stopped supporting her scripts last September and I thought I would head off that sort of response to any feature request myself or any other autoscend contributor has before it happens.
Have I not fixed a lot of bugs and implemented a variety of features specifically because YOU wanted them for autoscend? ;)
Not to mention doing the same for fredg1; they asked for my_path_id() - which I did, breaking a bunch of Ezandora scripts as a result, including Guide.
I notice that fredg1 already submitted a fix to TourGuide.

Well, I am glad you submitted autoscend here, since I suspect a lot of people might like it and would otherwise not hear about it.

I hear that there is a KoL ascenders Discord channel (whatever that is) and I imagine that all the cool kids hear about the latest and greatest scripts and strategies and such there. But I am intentionally not cool. :)

gausie

D̰͕̝͚̤̥̙̐̇̑͗̒e͍͔͎͈͔ͥ̉̔̅́̈l̠̪̜͓̲ͧ̍̈́͛v̻̾ͤe͗̃ͥ̐̊ͬp̔͒ͪ
Staff member
I think its extremely reasonable to ask for discussion on the forum and bug reports via the issue tracker, that doesn't seem like an abandonment of the community to me.

Magus_Prime

FWIW - I used to be think, somewhat, along the same lines as Veracity but, over the last two years, have moved in the direction that gausie expressed. Not a fan of Discord though. :)

Just don't abandon the forum for bug reports.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
I think its extremely reasonable to ask for discussion on the forum and bug reports via the issue tracker, that doesn't seem like an abandonment of the community to me.

The first time the requirement was created to report bugs elsewhere, a new account had to be made to do so. Anonymous bug reporting may be available now but at the time it was a barrier to entry.

gausie

D̰͕̝͚̤̥̙̐̇̑͗̒e͍͔͎͈͔ͥ̉̔̅́̈l̠̪̜͓̲ͧ̍̈́͛v̻̾ͤe͗̃ͥ̐̊ͬp̔͒ͪ
Staff member
The first time the requirement was created to report bugs elsewhere, a new account had to be made to do so. Anonymous bug reporting may be available now but at the time it was a barrier to entry.

As far as I'm aware, having a github account is still a requirement to posting an issue. But I still stand by my opinion that it's extremely reasonable to prefer issues be submitted to an issue tracker.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I can see that.

For KoLmafia itself, the "issue tracker" is the Bug Report forum. We used to have an issue tracker on Sourceforge, but we disabled it, since no KoLmafia dev ever looked there. Additionally, once this site strted providing hourly builds, one would hope that fewer people thought that only sourceforge provides a good executable file to run. We do break things, now and then, here - but we tend to fix things quickly. Surprisingly (to me) sourceforge is reporting over 100 downloads per week of version 20.4 - which was published almost 6 weeks ago...

Regarding autoscend, if I understand correctly, there are two branches - one for relesed code and one for beta code. Is the link that is posted here for the released code? If so, "svn update" in KoLmafia will be fetching "major versions", so to speak, just as downloading KoLmafia from sourceforge does. How often is the beta branch pushed to the released branch?

Malibu Stacey

Regarding autoscend, if I understand correctly, there are two branches - one for relesed code and one for beta code. Is the link that is posted here for the released code? If so, "svn update" in KoLmafia will be fetching "major versions", so to speak, just as downloading KoLmafia from sourceforge does. How often is the beta branch pushed to the released branch?

Yes the link posted is for the master branch which is the current public release. You're correct on the "major versions" assumption.

There's no real schedule for pushing to master. Right now both branches are almost identical as I pushed the 1.4.0 release to master since we'd finished the Low Key Summer support (as in, the path can be run without interruption, there's no guarantee on how well it runs). It really depends on what is in development on the beta branch, how stable we think it is and how badly we think users want the changes.

taltamir

How to report bugs:
If you are experiencing a bug. It is best if you send us a full session log of that day (even if the bug only happens in a specific spot). The session log would be a dated text file found in
mafia/sessions/username_yearmonthday.txt
so for example for me, the log for may (5th month) 9th 2020 would be
mafia/sessions/taltamir_20200509.txt

Said session log is pretty useless without first enabling proper logging. we usually do not care about mafia debug logging. What we want is mafia preference logging and autoscend debug logging. You can enable both by copy pasting the following two lines into the CLI and hitting enter (one at a time)
Code:
set logPreferenceChange = true
set auto_logLevel = debug
note that we need both

Crowther

What goal would you expect from the script when you can do nothing and pick up the rewards anyway?
I suspect that was a rhetorical question and I don't plan to do any more Grey Goo, but day start things like free pulls, collecting clovers, using cursed microwave, etc. Day end things like unused free turns... *shrugs* I'm not coming up with much.

matt.chugg

using r20482

Code:
Function 'debugPrint(string)' overrides a library function. (autoscend.ash, line 2306)

Works fine on 20473, was a function debugPrint(string) added to KoLmafia? possibly in r20476

EDIT: have reported on github as #626

Last edited: