Feature - Implemented Just an idea - spadingScript?

gausie

D̰͕̝͚̤̥̙̐̇̑͗̒e͍͔͎͈͔ͥ̉̔̅́̈l̠̪̜͓̲ͧ̍̈́͛v̻̾ͤe͗̃ͥ̐̊ͬp̔͒ͪ
Staff member
The new choiceAdventureScript got me thinking, we could start to classify some of the session log output as information that might be useful to spading efforts, and then send it to a spading script that could work as follows:

Code:
void main(string topic, string log) {
  string me = my_name()
  if (topic == "signalpuzzle") {
    visit_url("https://somewebsite.com/signal.php?user=" + me + "&log=" + log);
  } elseif (topic == "multiusable") {
    // etc etc etc
  } elseif (topic == "nohookah") {
    // etc etc etc
  }
}

Does this seem useful? I'd be happy to do the actual work for it.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
You might want to look at the preferences meatDropSpading and spadingData and how they are used in the code base. I don't recall that the feature was ever publicized or used much but it might be of interest.

I am not a spader. I will gladly collect data and share data that other people can analyze or use but it needs to be a trivial process for me - maybe a toggle and then a button press and I'm done.

gausie

Staff member
You might want to look at the preferences meatDropSpading and spadingData and how they are used in the code base. I don't recall that the feature was ever publicized or used much but it might be of interest.

I am not a spader. I will gladly collect data and share data that other people can analyze or use but it needs to be a trivial process for me - maybe a toggle and then a button press and I'm done.

I'll take a look at those now.

The idea with this is that it would be completely trivial for most users. Once this is in place, the community could make a relay script to manage what data goes where. So your install process could then be something like

Code:
svn checkout https://github.com/somedev/spadeTogether/whatever
set spadingScript = spadeTogether.ash

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
I can over engineer this with the best of them.

But as a submitter I'd want something I could stick in a login script to configure and something else to put in a logout script to distribute.

gausie

Staff member

Oh that's actually pretty useful. meatDropSpading is the sort of thing that would benefit greatly from the change I'm suggesting. Rather than spaders themselves grepping their logs for that output, data from lots of users could be processed, filtered and submitted to some data collection point.

spadingData is a totally different approach that could also be extended.

It's clear then that we have three different ways data discrepancies are handled in mafia:

1. Flagged to the session log (and sometimes saved to the relevant database if it exists)
2. Stuff saved to spadingData pref can be kmailed
3. Mall prices are sent completely separately

So maybe we should try to consolidate once we have decided on the best approach.

gausie

Staff member
I can over engineer this with the best of them.

But as a submitter I'd want something I could stick in a login script to configure and something else to put in a logout script to distribute.

Just to clarify you wouldn't need to do either of those things, my proposal is a lot simpler for the submitter. It would require a one-time setup and would submit the data as it is collected (or chunk/batch it in whatever way the people who write the script prefer).

gausie

Staff member
Haha yes. I think there will be more to it but lets mark this as fixed.