New Content - Implemented Bird-A-Day calendar

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I don't have this yet, since it is not in Mr. Store yet, although it is in the mall:

Code:
--------------------
10434	Bird-a-Day calendar	510437377	birdcal.gif	usable		0
# Item Bird-a-Day calendar: Receive a blessing from a different bird each day
--------------------
--------------------
10433	unopened Bird-a-Day calendar	382877115	birdcal_unopened.gif	usable	t	0
# Item unopened Bird-a-Day calendar
--------------------
I bet the unopened Bird-a-Day calendar will soon become a Free Pull; they always do that for bind-on-use IOTMs and they always forget to put it on when it is first released.
I also bet that the Bird-a-Day calendar is actually reusable and has a daily use limit. Like 1.

Malibu Stacey

Code:
cast 1 null
--------------------
2551	Blessing of the Northern Mauve-Crowned Mana-Crow	findbird.gif	8de6fb855433dc4b90fb4dbc2a5c919d
Effect	Blessing of the Northern Mauve-Crowned Mana-Crow	Mysticality Percent: +100, Item Drop: +30, MP Regen Min: 10, MP Regen Max: 20
--------------------
You acquire an effect: Blessing of the Northern Mauve-Crowned Mana-Crow (10)

From the skill it gives. MP cost starts at 5 and doubles every cast.

On the 7th cast (320MP) I got to choose it as my favourite

Code:
You learned a new skill: Visit your Favorite Bird
--------------------
190	Visit your Favorite Bird	favoritebird.gif	3	50	20
--------------------
--------------------
2552	Blessing of your favorite Bird	favoritebird.gif	e9c3b4f9a7f9b24166b835481f15c875	cast 1 Visit your Favorite Bird
Effect	Blessing of your favorite Bird	Mysticality Percent: +100, Item Drop: +30, MP Regen Min: 10, MP Regen Max: 20
--------------------

cast 1 Visit your Favorite Bird
--------------------
2552	Blessing of the Northern Mauve-Crowned Mana-Crow	favoritebird.gif	e9c3b4f9a7f9b24166b835481f15c875
Effect	Blessing of the Northern Mauve-Crowned Mana-Crow	Mysticality Percent: +100, Item Drop: +30, MP Regen Min: 10, MP Regen Max: 20
--------------------
You acquire an effect: Blessing of the Northern Mauve-Crowned Mana-Crow (20)

Last edited:

Crowther

The 7th cast sends you to a choice adventure, but it doesn't show up correctly in the relay browser. Confused me at first, but you can click just about anywhere and you'll see the choice. I didn't check if this is a native KoL problem.

matt.chugg

my first one was

Code:
--------------------
2551 Blessing of the Sharp-Eyed Stylish Magnolia-Swallow findbird.gif 8de6fb855433dc4b90fb4dbc2a5c919d
Effect Blessing of the Sharp-Eyed Stylish Magnolia-Swallow Moxie Percent: +50, Item Drop: +50, Damage Absorption: +100, Damage Reduction: 5
--------------------
You acquire an effect: Blessing of the Sharp-Eyed Stylish Magnolia-Swallow (10)

some kind of name -> effect type thingy

Crowther

my first one was

Code:
--------------------
2551 Blessing of the Sharp-Eyed Stylish Magnolia-Swallow findbird.gif 8de6fb855433dc4b90fb4dbc2a5c919d
Effect Blessing of the Sharp-Eyed Stylish Magnolia-Swallow Moxie Percent: +50, Item Drop: +50, Damage Absorption: +100, Damage Reduction: 5
--------------------
You acquire an effect: Blessing of the Sharp-Eyed Stylish Magnolia-Swallow (10)

some kind of name -> effect type thingy
There are lots listed on the spading spreadsheet.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Code:
[color=green]> test neweffect 8de6fb855433dc4b90fb4dbc2a5c919d[/color]

--------------------
2551 Blessing of the Bird findbird.gif 8de6fb855433dc4b90fb4dbc2a5c919d
# Effect Blessing of the Bird
--------------------

[color=green]> test neweffect e9c3b4f9a7f9b24166b835481f15c875[/color]

--------------------
2552 Blessing of your favorite Bird favoritebird.gif e9c3b4f9a7f9b24166b835481f15c875
# Effect Blessing of your favorite Bird
--------------------
Those are the actual effect names. If you replace "Bird" or "your favorite Bird" with particular bird names, there are appropriate modifiers that apply.

Eventuslly I expect we'll be able to synthesize the modifiers given the adjective adorned bird name. Perhaps we should save "_currentBird" and "favoriteBird" properties? I think there is a lot to learn before we get deep into supporting this thing.

fredg1

Those are the actual effect names. If you replace "Bird" or "your favorite Bird" with particular bird names, there are appropriate modifiers that apply.

Eventuslly I expect we'll be able to synthesize the modifiers given the adjective adorned bird name. Perhaps we should save "_currentBird" and "favoriteBird" properties? I think there is a lot to learn before we get deep into supporting this thing.

There also may be changes, as the response to this IOTM has been quite negative so far.

Malibu Stacey

Code:
cast 1 null
--------------------
2551	Blessing of the Chilling Enchanted Treasure Warbler	findbird.gif	8de6fb855433dc4b90fb4dbc2a5c919d
Effect	Blessing of the Chilling Enchanted Treasure Warbler	Mysticality Percent: +50, Cold Resistance: +2, Item Drop: +30, Damage Absorption: +100, Damage Reduction: 5
--------------------
You acquire an effect: Blessing of the Chilling Enchanted Treasure Warbler (10)

You need to click the use link on the IotM every day to acquire the new skill. I would suggest adding this to breakfast as a QoL upgrade.

Actually scratch that, apparently just using the IotM changes any remaining turns of the buff to the new buff.

Last edited:

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
There also may be changes, as the response to this IOTM has been quite negative so far.

Just out of curiosity, what is your source? Is this based upon clan or GD discussions or public pronouncements from Asymmetric employees or what? Any chance you have access to ITOM sale data and it is trending lower than usual?

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I bet the unopened Bird-a-Day calendar will soon become a Free Pull; they always do that for bind-on-use IOTMs and they always forget to put it on when it is first released.
it's an auto-pull
I just ascended with an unopened Bird-a-Day calendar in inventory.
It is now in storage, just as I predicted.
It is not an auto-pull.

It is also not yet a Free Pull. I submitted a Bug Report to KoL about that, since all previous bind-on-use IOTMs are Free Pulls.

Malibu Stacey

Just out of curiosity, what is your source? Is this based upon clan or GD discussions or public pronouncements from Asymmetric employees or what? Any chance you have access to ITOM sale data and it is trending lower than usual?

I think it's probably a combination of

Aenimus has been quite open about it's lack of power in the #iotm-discussion channel.

Personally I think it's fine. Not everything has to be Source Terminal/Smithsness level of brokenness but there's no pleasing some people.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
I think it's probably a combination of

Aenimus has been quite open about it's lack of power in the #iotm-discussion channel.

Personally I think it's fine. Not everything has to be Source Terminal/Smithsness level of brokenness but there's no pleasing some people.

Thanks. Underpowered makes sense especially if you have lots of shineys but I have not seen a lot of cases where TPTB makes significant changes in response to complaints. Since that possibility was implied it made me wonder if there were places I should pay attention to :)

Malibu Stacey

Thanks. Underpowered makes sense especially if you have lots of shineys but I have not seen a lot of cases where TPTB makes significant changes in response to complaints. Since that possibility was implied it made me wonder if there were places I should pay attention to :)

I think people are recalling what happened with the rune spoon getting the ability to change your moon sign after it had been out a few months and thinking since the level of whelmedness of this IotM is similar to how that was, (even though the rune spoon was intended as a path specific IotM for 2CRS) then there may be some buffing also happening to this if they whine enough about it. Certainly there's been grumbling of that ilk in the #iotm-discussion channel on ASS Discord.

Hell someone in my clan wanted a refund on the Mr A they used to get the Beach Comb because the Beach Combo skill was changed to 1/combat rather than unlimited so maybe I'm the weird one.

Code:
cast 1 null
--------------------
2551	Blessing of the Southern Illinois Scream Firebird	findbird.gif	8de6fb855433dc4b90fb4dbc2a5c919d
Effect	Blessing of the Southern Illinois Scream Firebird	Hot Resistance: +3, Monster Level: +20, Damage Absorption: +100, Damage Reduction: 5
--------------------
You acquire an effect: Blessing of the Southern Illinois Scream Firebird (10)

Code:
cast 1 null
--------------------
2551	Blessing of the Great Speedy Lizard Owl	findbird.gif	8de6fb855433dc4b90fb4dbc2a5c919d
Effect	Blessing of the Great Speedy Lizard Owl	Mysticality Percent: +150, Initiative: +50, MP Regen Min: 10, MP Regen Max: 20
--------------------
You acquire an effect: Blessing of the Great Speedy Lizard Owl (10)

Code:
cast 1 null
--------------------
2551	Blessing of the Jaunty Fire-fronted Scream Tanager	findbird.gif	8de6fb855433dc4b90fb4dbc2a5c919d
Effect	Blessing of the Jaunty Fire-fronted Scream Tanager	Moxie Percent: +50, Hot Resistance: +3, Monster Level: +15, Damage Absorption: +100, Damage Reduction: 5
--------------------
You acquire an effect: Blessing of the Jaunty Fire-fronted Scream Tanager (10)

Code:
cast 1 null
--------------------
2551	Blessing of the Merlin's Furtive Corpse Thrush	findbird.gif	8de6fb855433dc4b90fb4dbc2a5c919d
Effect	Blessing of the Merlin's Furtive Corpse Thrush	Mysticality Percent: +75, Spooky Resistance: +1, Combat Rate: +0, MP Regen Min: 10, MP Regen Max: 20
--------------------
You acquire an effect: Blessing of the Merlin's Furtive Corpse Thrush (10)

Code:
cast 1 null
--------------------
2551	Blessing of the Fashionable Speedy Tomato Quail	findbird.gif	8de6fb855433dc4b90fb4dbc2a5c919d
Effect	Blessing of the Fashionable Speedy Tomato Quail	Moxie Percent: +75, Hot Resistance: +1, Initiative: +75, Damage Absorption: +100, Damage Reduction: 5
--------------------
You acquire an effect: Blessing of the Fashionable Speedy Tomato Quail (10)

Last edited:

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
This is a pain. I have stuck in the bare minimum to support it:

I added the skill "Seek out %birdname%" as "Seek out a Bird"
When you visit the bird-a-day calendar for the first time, parse the bird name into "_birdOfTheDay".
Each time you seek a bird, increment "_birdsSoughtToday"
-> Mana cost is 5 * (2 ^ <_birdsSoughtToday> )
(Is there a limit? On the seventh, you set a favorite bird, but can you keep summoning?

Code:
[color=green]> cast Seek out a Bird

Casting Seek out a Bird 1 times...
--------------------
2551	Blessing of the Southern Japanese Velocity Eagle	findbird.gif	8de6fb855433dc4b90fb4dbc2a5c919d
Effect	Blessing of the Southern Japanese Velocity Eagle	Muscle Percent: +100, Initiative: +75, HP Regen Min: 10, HP Regen Max: 20
--------------------
You acquire an effect: Blessing of the Southern Japanese Velocity Eagle (10)
Seek out a Bird was successfully cast.

[color=green]> get _birdOfTheDay[/color]

Southern Japanese Velocity Eagle

[color=green]> get _birdsSoughtToday[/color]

[color=green]> ash mp_cost( $skill[ Seek out a Bird ] )[/color]

Returned: 40
Nothing yet for fsvorite birds.
When you log in, api.php returns something like this:

Code:
"effects":{"8de6fb855433dc4b90fb4dbc2a5c919d":["Blessing of the Southern Japanese Velocity Eagle","10","findbird","skill:7323","2551"]}
We look up the effect descid and get Blessing of the Bird.

Notice that when you cast it, we find "Blessing of the Southern Japanese Velocity Eagle". But if I log in again:

Code:
[color=green]> test neweffect 8de6fb855433dc4b90fb4dbc2a5c919d[/color]

--------------------
2551	Blessing of the Bird	findbird.gif	8de6fb855433dc4b90fb4dbc2a5c919d
Effect	Blessing of the Bird	Muscle Percent: +100, Initiative: +75, HP Regen Min: 10, HP Regen Max: 20
--------------------

[color=green]> ash string_modifier( $effect[ Blessing of the Bird ], "Modifiers" )[/color]

Returned: Muscle Percent: +100, Initiative: +75, HP Regen Min: 10, HP Regen Max: 20
Should probably recognize when Blessing of the XXX is unknown and (temporarily) override Blessing of the Bird's modifiers based on the item description.

The goal is to have the skill and effect names be constant, to make scripting rational.

What a pain.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Revision 19701 does this:

- When you log in, if you have a Bird-a-Day calendar, read the effect descriptions of Blessing of the Bird and Blessing of your favorite Bird and override the modifiers
- The first time you use your calendar per day, add the "Seek out a Bird" skill and set the modifiers for Blessing of the Bird (and mark them as "known" for today).
- If you receive the Blessing of the Bird effect, don't be fooled by the bird name. If we don't know the modifiers, read them and mark them as known.

If you do everything within KoLmafia, this should work well enough. If you do some things outside KoLmafia, or log in and out, it should still work, but we won't know your favorite bird, for example.

I could parse the favorite bird when you receive the "Blessing of the XXX" effect. Maybe later.

Here's what I did today when I logged in for the first time:

Code:
[color=green]> ash have_skill( $skill[ seek out a bird ] )[/color]

Returned: false

[color=green]> ash string_modifier( $effect[ blessing of the bird ], "Modifiers" )[/color]

Returned: Muscle Percent: +100, Initiative: +75, HP Regen Min: 10, HP Regen Max: 20

[color=green]> use Bird-a-Day calendar[/color]

Using 1 Bird-a-Day calendar...
You learned a new skill: Seek out a Bird
Finished using 1 Bird-a-Day calendar.

[color=green]> ash have_skill( $skill[ seek out a bird ] )[/color]

Returned: true

Hasty Liechtensteiner Enchantment Firebird

[color=green]> ash string_modifier( $effect[ blessing of the bird ], "Modifiers" )[/color]

Returned: Mysticality Percent: +100, Hot Resistance: +2, Initiative: +25, HP Regen Min: 10, HP Regen Max: 20

[color=green]> cast seek out a bird[/color]

Casting Seek out a Bird 1 times...
You acquire an effect: Blessing of the Bird (10)
Seek out a Bird was successfully cast.
Notice that when I logged in, it parsed the modifiers for Blessing of the Bird - leftover from yesterday.
I used the item, got a new daily bird, learned the skill, and parsed the modifiers.
I cast the skill and got the blessing.

There are undoubtedly tweaks needed for this, but next up is support for Favorite Bird.
(parse bird of the day from gaining effect "Blessing of the XXX")
(correctly calculate mana when multicasting "Seek out a Bird". It calculates a single cast correctly, but the cost goes up, like Libram skills, and no code yet to determine total mana needed to cast it X times. The fact that there is a choice presented on the seventh cast of the day is a wrinkle...)

(Does your Favorite Bird persist over ascension? I'll find out, by and by, since today's modifiers look interesting enough to save as a Favorite, for now.)