Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Mafia Slowness

Oh, so you were running at 100% *underclocked* cpu? That makes some sense ...
    Originally Posted by xKiv View Post
    I was running with a factory default CPU configuration, which I'd venture a lot of people use.

This is interesting. It should probably do absolutely nothing with kolmafia, though. Unless java now uses 3D when doing 2D operations.
    Originally Posted by xKiv View Post
    Yeah, I hadn't started pulling parts out of it yet. I want to get to a certain optimization level and then scale back. My first step was getting the Minecraft stuff in there and working.

I was running with a factory default CPU configuration, which I'd venture a lot of people use.
    Originally Posted by Boondoggle View Post
    That's probably a no then. Unless your distro does some cpufreq stuff for you by default. Mine didn't, I had to set it up by hand.

Yeah, I hadn't started pulling parts out of it yet. I want to get to a certain optimization level and then scale back. My first step was getting the Minecraft stuff in there and working.
    You probably don't need all of that anyway. I am running with 512M heap and it's fine. It's probably too much, even.

I'm also getting some mafia slowness/unresponsiveness, but on a windows machine (and a rather new one). How do I go about troubleshooting it?

Typical case would be running auto-adventure via GCLI. Mafia will be slow to respond, or unresponsive. (for example when trying to scroll up the GCLI, or switching between tabs in mafia. To be clear I'm not chaining commands- just looking at other things while it adventures)

Alternatively, I'll finish a combat in the relay browser (firefox), and when I switch back to mafia, the GCLI will take a few seconds to display the combat results, and freeze up during these seconds (the browser already displayed the results)

Not sure what other info I should note, so just a couple of things-
    Win 10, amd 5 2600, 16GB RAM, SSD obviously, using a wired connection.
    During these periods, my PC will running at its usual speed.
    It gets worst the longer mafia is open. Restarting it makes things better, for a while.
    I'm not running any high-demand programs in the background, other than firefox.
    Last edited by PartyBasher; 08-05-2019 at 11:14 AM.

I'm also getting some mafia slowness/unresponsiveness, but on a windows machine (and a rather new one). How do I go about troubleshooting it?

Typical case would be running auto-adventure via GCLI. Mafia will be slow to respond, or unresponsive. (for example when trying to scroll up the GCLI, or switching between tabs in mafia. To be clear I'm not chaining commands- just looking at other things while it adventures)

Alternatively, I'll finish a combat in the relay browser (firefox), and when I switch back to mafia, the GCLI will take a few seconds to display the combat results, and freeze up during these seconds (the browser already displayed the results)

Not sure what other info I should note, so just a couple of things-
    Win 10, amd 5 2600, 16GB RAM, SSD obviously, using a wired connection.
    During these periods, my PC will running at its usual speed.
    It gets worst the longer mafia is open. Restarting it makes things better, for a while.
    I'm not running any high-demand programs in the background, other than firefox.
    Originally Posted by PartyBasher View Post
    I don't know much about Windows, but I suggest looking at the minecraft community's suggestions for optimizing Java. The options they have (plus some experimenting of my own) have been what I have been using for my script.

Alternatively, I'll finish a combat in the relay browser (firefox), and when I switch back to mafia, the GCLI will take a few seconds to display the combat results, and freeze up during these seconds (the browser already displayed the results).
    Originally Posted by PartyBasher View Post
    I have issues with Firefox as my relay browser. I’ll click something and Kolmafia will send it to KoL and the browser will be “Waiting for 127.0.0.1” for a looooong time. Eventually, KoLmafia will get the response - or Firefox will accept it - and the browser will unfreeze. If I close the browser window, the results will show immediately in the gCLI, so KoLmafia obviously has the response.

I’ve meaning to look into it. Or maybe ditch Firefox if it doesn’t behave like that in Safari or Chrome.
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu
    R'lyeh wgah-nagl fhtagn.

The issue Veracity describes is why I stopped using Firefox as the relay browser for KoLmafia more than a year ago. That and Firefox would, seemingly, crash for no discernible reason at semi-regular intervals outside of KoLmafia use. I could never figure out the problem and moving to Chrome for the relay browser fixed both issues for me.

I suffer through similar issues with Firefox because I am not prepared to let Chrome into my environment. I have noticed that disabling addons, running in safe mode and/or whitelisting 127.0.0.1 sometimes helps.

I have also noticed that network conditions will bring KoLmafia to a halt or appear unresponsive. In my case, my ISP throttles upload speed and if something, Dropbox, for example, decides it is going to upload something that takes a couple minutes, mafia will be unusable.

An obvious question is how much memory does KoLmafia report using and how does that compare to the maximum available - both of which are to the left of the Collect Garbage button on the "buttons bar".

If mafia is using most of the available memory and/or garbage collecting a lot that could explain the lack of responsiveness. I recall in the distant past, a new feature was implemented in a way that created a lot of objects that persisted longer than they needed to and some folks with limited memory got the point where everything was in use and garbage collection freed very little. Perhaps a recent addition introduced something similar?

Just an FYI, while running java from the terminal, I notice this error right before the biggest slowdowns:

WARNING: An illegal reflective access operation has occurred
    WARNING: Illegal reflective access by org.tmatesoft.svn.core.internal.util.SVNSocketFact ory (file:/home/rugrat/Desktop/GameStuff/KoLMafia/KoLmafia-19470.jar) to method sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.setHost(java.lang.S tring)
    WARNING: Please consider reporting this to the maintainers of org.tmatesoft.svn.core.internal.util.SVNSocketFact ory
    WARNING: Use --illegal-access=warn to enable warnings of further illegal reflective access operations
    WARNING: All illegal access operations will be denied in a future release

An obvious question is how much memory does KoLmafia report using and how does that compare to the maximum available - both of which are to the left of the Collect Garbage button on the "buttons bar".
    Originally Posted by fronobulax View Post

I saw mafia take up around between 700 to 1800 MB of ram (it builds up over time) according to taskmanager.
    The numbers next to the garbage collect button are around 15% or so, no where near the max.
    Last edited by PartyBasher; 08-06-2019 at 01:04 PM.

I’ve meaning to look into it. Or maybe ditch Firefox if it doesn’t behave like that in Safari or Chrome.
    Originally Posted by Veracity View Post
    Huh, I'm surprised you aren't having issues with Chrome. Both Firefox and Chrome historically have issues w/ accessing localhost w/ IPv6 settings enabled.

Turning off IPv6 setting in both the browser and on the system usually helps.