Bug - Fixed Angry Ghost drops not specified

Saklad5

Right now, the only drop listed for the “angry ghost” enemy is a single ghostly ectoplasm with no known drop rate.

However, the wiki shows that it drops three ghostly ectoplasm: the first has a rate of 100%, the second has a rate of 10%, and the third has a rate of 1%. As this particular monster is very relevant to Standard right now, there’s been a lot of spading done on that.

I’m not quite sure how to add item drops for monsters (it appears to be in multiple places, and I’d probably miss a few), so I’d appreciate it if someone made this change on my behalf.

Saklad5

Would it be helpful if I wrote a program that automatically checked the wiki entry of every monster with an unspaded drop rate for new info?

It wouldn’t be comprehensive, of course, and I’d have to check the results manually. But if there’s a lot of missing drop rates like this, it could be useful.

Last edited:

Darzil

Developer
The wiki drop rates are generally hideous, at least for old monsters. We know that most drop rates are a factor of 5, and very few have decimal places, as that requires special code, but there are loads on there which don't match that. They are usually wrong.

Ryo_Sangnoir

Developer
Staff member
I've been checking a few: the topiary pestopiary drops are 15%, the fun-guy playmate's spore is 5%, I have the higher drops for the Airborne Commander and Sky Captain and all the drops for Green Ops and Heavy Kegtank; Aenimus checked the 151 infantryman. There's no guarantee that the existing Mafia rates are correct, either (though whether that's inaccuracy in the original spading or historical changes I don't know), though they're generally very good (all I recall is the fleet woodsman's Green Manalishi being 20, not 15 as originally estimated).

The war drops tended to assume that anything with two drops had one high and one low: this was sometimes right, but sometimes it was two of the same. It's looking likely that the windchimes / phone are always 3%, though.

There are an awful lot of missing drop rates like this, I'm heading through ~1 per aftercore day using the perfectly fair coin. The only spading note I have is that Macrometeorite causes the coin to not work (or I was doing something else wrong), and that Mafia sets the location of copied combats to the last place you spent an adventure (I was using spooky putty), so the Florist plant will show up in your item drops, and you need to either remember that when computing item drop or set_location manually to something else before every fight.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
I've been checking a few: the topiary pestopiary drops are 15%, the fun-guy playmate's spore is 5%, I have the higher drops for the Airborne Commander and Sky Captain and all the drops for Green Ops and Heavy Kegtank; Aenimus checked the 151 infantryman. There's no guarantee that the existing Mafia rates are correct, either (though whether that's inaccuracy in the original spading or historical changes I don't know), though they're generally very good (all I recall is the fleet woodsman's Green Manalishi being 20, not 15 as originally estimated).

The war drops tended to assume that anything with two drops had one high and one low: this was sometimes right, but sometimes it was two of the same. It's looking likely that the windchimes / phone are always 3%, though.

There are an awful lot of missing drop rates like this, I'm heading through ~1 per aftercore day using the perfectly fair coin. The only spading note I have is that Macrometeorite causes the coin to not work (or I was doing something else wrong), and that Mafia sets the location of copied combats to the last place you spent an adventure (I was using spooky putty), so the Florist plant will show up in your item drops, and you need to either remember that when computing item drop or set_location manually to something else before every fight.

I know I caught one of those data points recently, because it was mentioned in /hardcore, but generally the new spading doesn't make it anywhere that is likely to get mafia's values updated. I just pulled up all the wiki pages for monsters you mentioned, so those are updated now.

Ryo_Sangnoir

Developer
Staff member
Yeah -- I didn't mean it as an indictment, sorry if it came off that way. I note these down in a notepad file and post them in chunks on this forum occasionally, but the slight effort that takes means that I don't do it often, but only after I've collated a bunch. I don't mean to propose a solution -- I'm not sure how it could be made easier, really.

Thanks for the updates. It looks like you missed the War Frat 151st Infantryman -- that line would be
Code:
War Frat 151st Infantryman	423	warfrata.gif	Atk: 170 Def: 157 HP: 185 Init: 40 E: sleaze P: orc	beer bomb (5)	beer helmet (10)	bejeweled pledge pin (10)	bottle opener belt buckle (10)	flask flops (5)	distressed denim pants (10)	keg shield (5)	perforated battle paddle (10)
with some values updated and the flask flops added.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member

Where are you publishing this info?

When you say "the windchimes/PADL phone are always 3%" - you mean except for the War Hippy Windtalker and the Sorority Operator?

Ryo_Sangnoir

Developer
Staff member
Where are you publishing this info?

I just add it to the wiki. If I think Mafia might want it as well (i.e. it's ascension relevant), I'll create a thread. There's not so much of it -- I didn't sustain the initial pace. I think the last two I hit were the musical and magical fruit bats.

When you say "the windchimes/PADL phone are always 3%" - you mean except for the War Hippy Windtalker and the Sorority Operator?

I've got no idea what I meant by this :p

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I know what you meant - almost all creatures that drop the communications windchimes and PADL Phones were list at 3%, but there were a handful listed at 2% or 4%. Much more rational to expect that the KoL devs would always use 3% - and your testing indicated that.

I updated monsters.txt with that.
I also noticed that "class rings" and "clay beads" were always 30% - except the War Bosses, where they almost always drop. I looked at my session logs for years, and they always dropped their special item and rarely did not drop the token.

Revision 19884 adds the fruit bat data and rationalizes the Island War drops.

Actually, I set the Hero tokens to 100% - and they are clearly not that. But, I only have 15-20 data points for each with, perhaps, 2 encounters each that did not drop the token. So, 100% is clearly not right - especially if it is taking my Item Drop into account. I bet they are 30%, like all the other combatants. I'll fix that.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Revision 19885 adjusts the War Hero token drops.

We like having genuinely spaded Item/Meat drops. The WIki is horribly untrustworthy for those things - except when people like you update them. So, a wholesale import of WIki data is very much NOT desired - but I (we) are happy to update our data in monsters.txt when reliable data is added to the WIki.

If you are interested in poking us here, now and then, when you update drop data in the Wiki, we'd certainly act on the info.
Perhaps I should make a pinned thread for people to add spading results to - Item Drops, Meat Drops, Consumption data for booze & food, etc.?

I'm marking this thread done.