Feature Chatbots and talkie

icon315

A while ago (r14815) chatbots were given the ability to retrieve messages posted in /talkie channels, but they weren't ever given the ability to actually post. Like that update states, talkie channels are essentially private channels so it'd be neat to be able to interact with them.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Would this make more sense to me if my social, out of game, interactions with KoL were not limited to KoLmafia.us? :)

There are also in-game announcements, such as:
January 29
The MMG can now only be played by accounts with registered e-mail addresses, and the house cut has been increased to 1%. Stop playing the MMG.
There is also a thread longer than 1 page about the MMG change, with plenty of people saying it should be removed completely.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
There are also in-game announcements, such as:

There is also a thread longer than 1 page about the MMG change, with plenty of people saying it should be removed completely.

I saw the announcement but what I don't know is why it is considered detrimental to the game, beyond the ability to make meat fast, why registered and unregistered accounts are different for the MMG and the mechanics of a chat bot that appears to work around the new restrictions. But I guess I will go to GD and establish my context.

Darzil

Developer
There was talk that people could create bots using /talkie channels to effectively evade scrutiny and provide an MMG-like service, if MMG was removed.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Thanks. I waded through the GD thread. My only remaining question concerns the differences between registered and unregistered accounts and how that enables/reduces "being a jerk" kinds of behavior.

I'm trying to decide if there are moral and ethical arguments for not implementing this but so far what I get are weak and/or inconsistent with other dev actions.

icon315

To catch the zeitgeist, I guess that would let you build hidden MMG-like bots !

I don't really look at the kol forums so hadn't seen discussion about it. I guess my timing for the request isn't the best. My intention was mainly clan announce sorta stuff related, but i can see where you're coming from. Though really someone could just do it in a random clan /hobopolis or something. Wonder who would trust a bot with millions of meat, that'd be so sketchy.