Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Indicate that something is running in gCLI

Default Indicate that something is running in gCLI

A feature I only realised recently is that you can know the status of a running task by the colour of the character pane. Obviously I knew green and red showed the result of the last command, but I hadn't appreciated that i can tell if a command has finished because it has transitioned from grey to either green or red.

I use the gCLI a lot and it would be really nice to have this feature replicated there. I'd be happy to write the code to do so but not sure how we'd like to do the UI. Perhaps a coloured box, or background colour of the text input div?

I'm not sure I understand your request or use case. Vocabulary problem on my part, perhaps?

Specifically how do you have your screen arranged/mafia windows tabbed so that you can interact with the gCLI but not see the character pane and status? Perhaps the relay browser is involved and you are running on one screen but hosting mafia elsewhere (which I think is possible)?

Thanks.

I'm going to use Occum's Razor and guess gausie means CLI, not gCLI. My gCLI (graphical command line interface) has a colored character pane. My CLI doesn't have any color, but could in theory.

I'm going to use Occum's Razor and guess gausie means CLI, not gCLI. My gCLI (graphical command line interface) has a colored character pane. My CLI doesn't have any color, but could in theory.
    Originally Posted by Crowther View Post
    Ah... Running headless? "text input div" sort of threw me off.

If I had a cli command that told me scripts were running, I might find it useful, especially if it were coupled with a Stop command for those times when bashing the abort button didn't work because the scriptwriter was too clever and restarted on an abort.
    You just vehemently agreed with me
    Originally Posted by Veracity View Post
    I agree with frono.
    Originally Posted by Veracity View Post

Nope, I meant the relay CLI. Sorry, I somehow got it into my head that gCLI meant relay CLI which it of course doesn't. And yeah, using it over the internet while it's running headless on a different computer.
    Last edited by gausie; 01-15-2019 at 07:11 PM.

Ah... Running headless? "text input div" sort of threw me off.

If I had a cli command that told me scripts were running, I might find it useful, especially if it were coupled with a Stop command for those times when bashing the abort button didn't work because the scriptwriter was too clever and restarted on an abort.
    Originally Posted by fronobulax View Post
    Ha! Yeah, that's the terrifying part of running it over CLI. If worse comes to worse, you hit control-C and kill the mafia process.
    Nope, I meant the relay CLI. Sorry, I somehow got it into my head that gCLI meant relay CLI which it of course doesn't. And yeah, using it over the internet while it's running headless on a different computer.
    Originally Posted by gausie View Post
    Now I'm confused again. There's a relay browser, a gCLI and a CLI, but I don't know any relay CLI.

I'm guessing it is Preferences->Look & Feel-> Relay Browser -> Add command-line interface to right side pane

although checking it didn't do anything I could see in 15 seconds of playing. (My browser is locked down and the character I just checked does not have access to chat which may b a factor).

That said, what is wrong with positioning the GUI so only the char pane is visible? Are you allowing network devices to access relay browser and thus on a different device?

I've probably had that preference enabled for 10 years so I may have forgotten it wasn't baked in!

Yes, I am running an nginx configuration that lets me do a basic HTTP auth and access it from another device. I realise this is not what most people do, and I don't do it all the time, but I'm also very happy to write the code to support it.

Now that we understand...

This is really niche but if you feel like writing the code I will at least look at it.

Patch attached!

Its immediate requirement is niche but it's a pretty nice feature for anyone who uses the Relay CLI I think.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by gausie; 01-16-2019 at 08:13 PM. Reason: both type of "it(')s" in one sentence??