New Content January 2019 IotM - Kramco Sausage-o-Matic™

Saklad5

The value would be the number of turns to a guaranteed Sausage Goblin, which is believed to be deterministic based on _lastSausageMonsterTurn and _sausageFights. I’ve been designing my own counter script to do this, and it is working pretty well so far.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
So we just hard-code some numbers, some of which are probably too large by a little bit, and then at some point stop handling it because there are no numbers to use?

Saklad5

Since the number appear to be deterministic, and this is going to be extremely ascension-relevant for a few years, it is likely that a formula will be spaded eventually. Once that happens, a counter should be added.

In the meantime, I have a complaint to make: counters for “wandering monsters” don’t actually work as documented. They’re all hard-coded, so putting “type=wander” in my Sausage Goblin counter doesn’t make the counter stop when a Sausage Goblin is actually fought. If this could be adjusted to allow for arbitrary monster IDs (or sets thereof, to cover all existing cases and eliminate the need for hard-coding), that’d be great.

Darzil

Developer
That isn't a complaint, that's a feature request.

Or if it is a complaint, you might want to reword it so you don't get ignored.

(Oh, and for my money, for Sausage Goblin, I wouldn't want a counter, I'd want an encounter % chance, I think. Though I admit my knowledge of it's mechanics may be incorrect)

Ezandora's guide now supports this. It will let you know the current % of meeting a goblin, and if you are in-run, it will remind you when you have a guaranteed encounter (same as the semi-rare & asdon martin banish reminders).
It would be great if mafia had the option to do this natively, I'm just pointing out an immediate solution for end users like myself.

Ezandora

Ezandora's guide now supports this. It will let you know the current % of meeting a goblin, and if you are in-run, it will remind you when you have a guaranteed encounter (same as the semi-rare & asdon martin banish reminders).
It would be great if mafia had the option to do this natively, I'm just pointing out an immediate solution for end users like myself.

I would not repeat guide's data anywhere else, as it's incomplete, especially after the early fights. It'll likely take my automatically-spading multi a long, long time to fully spade.

The percentage in particular is almost certainly wrong. It's just a rough approximation.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Since the number appear to be deterministic, and this is going to be extremely ascension-relevant for a few years, it is likely that a formula will be spaded eventually. Once that happens, a counter should be added.
Having seen the actual formula (on dev), I doubt it.

In the meantime, I have a complaint to make: counters for “wandering monsters” don’t actually work as documented. They’re all hard-coded, so putting “type=wander” in my Sausage Goblin counter doesn’t make the counter stop when a Sausage Goblin is actually fought. If this could be adjusted to allow for arbitrary monster IDs (or sets thereof, to cover all existing cases and eliminate the need for hard-coding), that’d be great.
Unfortunately, the people that write documentation are not the same people that write the code most of the time. I updated the documentation to match existing behavior.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Unfortunately, the people that write documentation are not the same people that write the code most of the time. I updated the documentation to match existing behavior.

Thanks.

For everyone else, all you need to edit the wiki with documentation is an account here. There may be an administrative step needed but I recall it as being trivial. Much of the current documentation was written by people who felt the existing documentation was inadequate but choose to ask the question "how can I help fix that?" rather than complain. Sadly many of them have moved on from the game but maintaining documentation is a way to make a positive contribution to the community.

Can "_sausageFights" & "_lastSausageMonsterTurn" be changed to count goblin fights started, rather than won?
It seems to me that the chance to encounter is based on this, and if so- there's no advantage to specifically counting fights won.
This matters because losing to a goblin throws off ezandora's guide, which is what I'm using to approximate the next encounter.

Thanks to all mafia devs!

P.S is there a specific documentation thing that needs to be written? I want to give back something.

Last edited:

Saklad5

I used your numbers to update my own counter script, once I noticed it doing that. I’m assuming that the ceilings are definitely not too high, and possibly too low. Since my script already uses a CCS with free runs in aftercore in case the numbers are wrong, that’s perfect for the moment.

Saklad5

I’ve done that in the past, when it is clear which is incorrect. In this case, I thought that the code simply didn’t line up with the intended behavior, rather than the documentation. It might have worked that way in the past, for all I know.

I might submit a patch in the future to actually implement that originally-documented functionality, along the lines of “type=wander{monster ID}”.