Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: ASH Plural Typed Constants

Default ASH Plural Typed Constants

r7525 introduces an experimental new ASH feature: plural typed constants. These allow you to easily do something with a list of specified objects, without having to replicate code or laboriously build up an array of the objects so that you can iterate over it. Here's a quick example:
    Code:
    foreach weapon in $items[star sword, star staff, star crossbow] {
    	if (available_amount(weapon) > 0) {
    		equip(weapon);
    		break;
    	}
    }
    The syntax is basically the same as the existing typed constant feature, but with an "s" or "es" after the type name. (The "es" case is there so that you can properly pluralize "class".) The text between the square brackets is interpreted as a comma-separated list of elements, each of which is converted to the specified type as if it were an individual constant. More details:
    * The list can span multiple lines.
    * Whitespace before or after elements is ignored.
    * Completely empty elements are ignored (so that you can leave a comma at the end of the list).
    * You can include a comma or closing square bracket in an element by writing it as "\," or "\]".
    * All the other escape sequences allowed in strings are possible, such as "\n" (newline), "\t" (tab), and "\uXXXX" (Unicode character value). To put an actual backslash in an element, you have to write it as "\\".

The value generated by a plural constant is of type boolean[type], with the keys being the specified elements, and the boolean value always being true - although you won't normally do anything with the boolean, you'd use a foreach loop to iterate over the keys. You can assign a plural constant to a variable declared as that type, but note that the value differs from a normal map in three important respects:
    * Since the expression that generates it is syntactically a constant, the value has to be immutable. If you were allowed to change it in any way, those changes would appear in every future use of the same constant.
    * There can be multiple instances of the same key - $ints[1,1,2,3,5,8] is perfectly valid, and will result in the value 1 appearing twice in a foreach loop.
    * The keys will appear in the order you wrote them, rather than being sorted alphanumerically as maps usually do.

In addition to being used in a foreach loop, plural constants also efficiently support membership testing via the 'contains' operator. Here's another example:
    Code:
    for hour from 1 to 12 {
    	print("It's " + hour + " o'clock.");
    	if ($ints[10, 2, 4] contains hour) {
    		print("Time to drink a Dr Pepper!");
    	}
    }
    (Yes, that example could just as easily have been done with a switch statement.)

Iterating over an empty list is rather pointless, so plural constants with no elements are given a different meaning: they represent every value of the specified type, where this is practical. (The 'none' value, if defined for a given type, is omitted.) The biggest benefit here is $items[], which lets you loop over every defined item, more efficiently than you could otherwise write in a script (since the list is generated once per session and then cached), and without having to hard-code a maximum item ID number in your script. Example:
    Code:
    foreach it in $items[] {
    	if (autosell_price(it) == 42) print(it);
    }
    Enumeration of all possible values works with the following types:
    * $booleans[] - false and true.
    * $items[]
    * $locations[]
    * $classes[]
    * $stats[] - Muscle, Mysticality, Moxie: the substat values are omitted.
    * $skills[]
    * $effects[]
    * $familiars[]
    * $slots[] - includes sticker slots and fake hands, which you might not want to consider as normal slots.
    * $monsters[]
    * $elements[] - includes slime now, and possibly other not-quite-elements like cute in the future.

The remaining types that can be used in plural constants require an explicit list of elements, since there are too many possible values:
    * $ints[] - you don't have enough RAM to store a list with 4 billion elements.
    * $floats[] - ditto.
    * $strings[] - nobody has that much RAM.

Trivia: here are some KoL details that can now be easily determined.
    > ash count($items[])

Returned: 4003

> ash count($locations[])

Returned: 196

> ash count($skills[])

Returned: 238

> ash count($monsters[])

Returned: 649
    (but note that these counts include some historical locations and monsters that probably no longer exist.)
    Last edited by jasonharper; 08-06-2009 at 09:13 PM.
    In game: Seventh (#363053), originally a Seal clubber. I am the Ap'ostle of Ak'gyxoth! (Or is that Ap'ostrophe?)

There's a script I'm working on right now where it was annoying that I didn't have this feature. Excuse me while I go replace my work-around with plural typed constants. This does make my life happier.
    Last edited by Bale; 08-06-2009 at 09:45 PM.
    If people like my scripts, please send me stuffed Hodgmen.
    Universal Recovery, OCD Inventory Control, CounterChecker, newLife, ChIT.

This is freakin' awesome! Great job!

It's a shame I can't do this

Code:
    have_equipped($items[beer helmet, distressed denim pants, bejeweled pledge pin])
    to return true if I have the entire outfit equipped, since there is no command to test if you are currently wearing an outfit. But at least I can do this:

Code:
    boolean frat_warrior() {
    	foreach gear in $items[beer helmet, distressed denim pants, bejeweled pledge pin]
    		if(!have_equipped(gear))
    			return false;
    	return true;
    }
    PS. You seem to have forgotten to add the constant $zodiacs
    Last edited by Bale; 08-06-2009 at 10:11 PM.

You can tell what (standard) outfit you're wearing via string_modifier("Outfit").

There is no ASH zodiac type, and therefore no $zodiac[...] constants, and therefore no possibility of a $zodiacs[] list. How often do you care about the exact sign, beyond what you can already determine via in_muscle_sign(), etc.?
    In game: Seventh (#363053), originally a Seal clubber. I am the Ap'ostle of Ak'gyxoth! (Or is that Ap'ostrophe?)

Well, I've never actually used $zodiac constants, but I assumed that there was an ASH zodiac type because of this.

Thanks for the info on the string_modifier(). I overlooked that amidst the rest of your modifier maximizer updates.

Huh. I recently put back put_closet_meat() and get_closet_meat(). It looks like I should use polymorphism and just make them put_closet() and get_closet() and depend on int vs. item as argument to decide which one you get.

Tomorrow.
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu
    R'lyeh wgah-nagl fhtagn.

Could we have variables containing a plural typed constant? It would be nice if I could do this...

Code:
    strings players = $string[player1, player2, player3];

void main() {
    	string [string] vars;
    	file_to_map("vars_.txt",vars);

if(vars["daily"] != today_to_string()) {
    		foreach p in players
    			vars[p] = "false";
    		vars["daily"] = today_to_string();
    		map_to_file(vars,"vars_.txt");
    	}
    	foreach p in players
    	if(!to_boolean(vars[p])) {
    		string player_function = replace_string(p, " ", "_");
    		call player_function();
    		vars[p] = "true";
    		map_to_file(vars,"vars_.txt");
    	}
    }
    That way I'd only have to define my list of constants once to be able to reference it as many times as I want instead of having to be careful to change it separately each time it would be referenced.

I'm trying to make a multiple character automator for a friend which can be easily maintained despite her lack of ability at ash programing. It would be nice if she could add another character by adding that character's name in a single place. That way I can just keep all the stuff she doesn't understand at the bottom where it can quietly do the task of making sure that each character is only automated once in case she has to abort the script and restart it later.
    Last edited by Bale; 10-06-2009 at 06:24 AM.

Could you not have the character names in a file and then map that file?