What do the different settings for "breakableHandling" mean?

ereinion

Currently, I am trying to figure out how to not have mafia abort when e.g. my garbage shirt breaks. From searching this forum a bit, it appears that what happens when breakable equipment breaks is determined by the setting "breakableHandling". For some items it is handled by looking at the setting "breakableHandling####", where #### is the item number of the item in question. Doing a prefref for breakable, I learn that my current settings are

breakableHandling
user
breakableHandling1964
user
breakableHandling9691
user
breakableHandling9692
user
breakableHandling9699
user

However, I have no idea what the numbers mean. I assume 1 means abort, since that is what most commonly happens when one of my breakables break :p

Is there any way to determine what valid settings there are for these preferences? I assume I could dive into the source or data files to try to figure it out, but I would have no idea where to start. Can someone please help me?

I was wondering the same a little while back because my garbage shirt was breaking my automation.
The numbers correspond to the options in the dropdown menu: https://puu.sh/CmJwR/ff03d49466.png
Though, none of those were what I wanted (if my script can get another garbage shirt it will already do so, and otherwise I want the slot to remain empty so the maximizer can fill it for me). So I set breakableHandling9699 to 0, and that seems to work nicely.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
// 1: abort
// 2: equip previous
// 3: re-equip from inventory, or abort
// 4: re-equip from inventory, or previous
// 5: acquire & re-equip

Above is from a comment in the code (Equipment Manager). The code looks like anything less than or equal to one is treated as one. If breakableHandlingXXXX is set and item XXXX is being checked, the specific setting will override the general setting. The settings in the OP appear to be the only ones defined by mafia and look to be at their defaults.

If you have an IDE or a tool that will search for text in flies across an entire directory tree, a search for "breakableHandling" will get you pretty much what I just did. This is not one of those snarky "let me Google that for you" comments. It is a hopefully helpful answer to "where do I start?".

Merry Christmas to those who celebrate. One service down, one to go.

Hmm, you're right, 0 does seem to be handled like one, I just hadn't managed to make the shirt fall apart during automation since making that change.
Oh well, I guess I'll set it to 4 and see if that works.

ereinion

Thanks for the help :) My issue is the same as the dictator's btw, I guess I'll follow his example, and try to set it to 4.