Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Update faxbots?

Default Update faxbots?

The faxbot command is, in a sense, bugged, in that nowadays it almost never works. It pings EasyFax, waits 60 seconds, and then times out, approximately 99% of the time. Technically it is not bugged, as it is doing what it is supposed to do and really EasyFax is the one dropping the ball, but still, the command basically is just a "wait 60 seconds and then abort" right now, so I'll opt to call it a bug for the purposes of a thread prefix.

It's possible there's a way to change the default faxbot or the timeout duration, but I poked around and couldn't find anything. If I could just swap the default to CheeseFax, this would not be an issue, as CheeseFax always responds to me within about 10 seconds. As it stands, my run-once daily automation script requires me to instead manually retrieve and fight the fax monster every single day since the command always fails, which is quite irritating :<

Is chat open before you request the fax? Easyfax has been working just fine for me. The behavior you described used to happen to me a lot and then I realized I had gotten the fax I expected but KoLmafia could not report success because the success message was only available via chat which I never use or open.

Is chat open before you request the fax? Easyfax has been working just fine for me. The behavior you described used to happen to me a lot and then I realized I had gotten the fax I expected but KoLmafia could not report success because the success message was only available via chat which I never use or open.
    Originally Posted by fronobulax View Post
    I had the same experience.

Works every time for me. As stated above, it cannot work if you do not have a chat window open, either in KoLmafia or in the browser.

it cannot work
    Originally Posted by Veracity View Post
    My experience has been that it will still attempt to get the fax, whether the chat is open, or not. However, in the absence of chat, the only way to know that it worked and you got the expected monster, is to actually visit the fax machine and receive a fax. There were many times when I did that and the expected monster was there. But the certainty provided by having chat open is worth it.

There is discussion elsewhere to the effect that there is no easy way to script opening and closing chat. I personally manually open it prior to a fax operation and manually close it after. Other folks just make chat a tab or window that opens at start up. I don't do that because of an anecdotal, undocumented and unresearched belief that on my machine having chat open eventually causes problems related to high resource usage. But that is me. No one else has reported something similar enough to make me dig in again and see if there really is something to my belief.
    You just vehemently agreed with me
    I agree with frono.

By "it cannot work", I was talking about the faxbot command, which "cannot work" at recognizing when the fax has arrived without chat being open.

The reason it tries, whether or not you have chat open, is that we have no way of knowing that chat is currently open in the Relay Browser. We can tell if you have the chat GUI open in KoLmafia, but some people prefer to use the browser's chat. Therefore, we ask for the fax regardless and assume that the user knows you have to have chat open somewhere.

I suppose the "fax receive" CLI command could print an informative message reminding you that chat must be open, before sending.

Note that the FaxRequestFrame does this:

Code:
    		// Make sure we can receive chat messages, either via KoLmafia chat or in the Relay Browser.
    		if ( !( ChatManager.isRunning() || true ) )
    		{
    			FaxRequestFrame.statusMessage = "You must be in chat so we can receive messages from " + botName;
    			KoLmafia.updateDisplay( FaxRequestFrame.statusMessage );
    			return false;
    		}
    I don't know if that is 100% reliable; I'm pretty sure that if you open chat and close it, ChatManager will still be running.
    Which is why there is "|| true" following the check; you'll never see that message.

The faxbot command is, in a sense, bugged, in that nowadays it almost never works. It pings EasyFax, waits 60 seconds, and then times out, approximately 99% of the time. Technically it is not bugged, as it is doing what it is supposed to do and really EasyFax is the one dropping the ball, but still, the command basically is just a "wait 60 seconds and then abort" right now, so I'll opt to call it a bug for the purposes of a thread prefix.

It's possible there's a way to change the default faxbot or the timeout duration, but I poked around and couldn't find anything. If I could just swap the default to CheeseFax, this would not be an issue, as CheeseFax always responds to me within about 10 seconds. As it stands, my run-once daily automation script requires me to instead manually retrieve and fight the fax monster every single day since the command always fails, which is quite irritating :<
    Originally Posted by Malurth View Post
    If you are requesting right after rollover, EasyFax is simply not online (I think that can't happen with the faxbot command, but I'm not 100% sure).

Regarding chat being open, I have code in cc_ascend that works around chat having to be open.

Hm. I see. I was unaware of this limitation, though in retrospect it makes sense.

I suppose I'll have to scour cc_ascend to figure out how to work around it, then. Thanks for the info.

In addition to this - I wrote a very crude script for faxing in a specific monster that uses some of CheeseCookie's code and was helped by this community (thanks for the consult Cheese).

here if you need it:
    https://kolmafia.us/showthread.php?23...orker-(female)