Bug - Not A Bug "dusty bottle of Port" shows up as "dusty bottle of vinegar port" in mafia

taltamir

"dusty bottle of Port" shows up as "dusty bottle of vinegar port" in mafia

The item:

dusty bottle of Port
http://kol.coldfront.net/thekolwiki/index.php/Dusty_bottle_of_Port

shows up in mafia item manager as:

dusty bottle of vinegar port

for some reason? did the name change and mafia goes by the itemID? it is definitely the same item, i buy one in the mall and it increments the mafia count. I also don't show any mention of it ever being called vinegar port in the wiki.

Darzil

Developer
Hmm, if these are no longer random, we can remove all the special handling that renamed them I guess !

I guess it wasn't done to avoid breaking scripts, though maybe 4 years is enough time that script handling will have caught up ?

Last edited:

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Why does it bother you, such that you decided this was a "bug"? As you point out, it breaks nothing.

I rather like it, since it reminds me of the way things used to be, back before the Spookyraven Cellar was revamped.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
In fact, I'll be even stronger than that: the dusty bottles used to be random and the extra adjective was inserted so you could see what you were getting this ascension. When KoL changed to make them not random, we (I) intentionally changed the code to retain the adjectives, but have them applied to the specific dusty bottle type they applied to.

I intentionally coded it to behave like this. This is a feature, not a bug.

taltamir

Why does it bother you, such that you decided this was a "bug"? As you point out, it breaks nothing.
It is somewhat misleading which makes searching for them, parsing logs, or otherwise handling them a bit confusing if you don't know specifically about the randomization. I myself was trying to complete my drink history and initially the discrepancy threw me off.

As for why I called it a bug, because there is a discrepancy between kol and mafia. There is really no need to get offended over me calling it a bug.

Anyways, now I know it is a nostalgia feature.

Last edited:

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
As for why I called it a bug, because there is a discrepancy between kol and mafia. There is really no need to get offended over me calling it a bug.

This is why some of the Old Timers have adopted the convention of asking a question in Community Support. By asking a question - is this how it is supposed to work, or why does it work this way?, the risk of calling something a Bug when it is not, is reduced. Furthermore I think most of the Dev Team defines "bug" in terms of a) does it do what it was designed to do and b) is that the "right" thing to do? I think there are even some deliberate discrepancies between KoL and KoLmafia so your definition might not be the one other people are using.

Text only communication in a forum such as this often leads to misunderstandings because one party will read emotion into a post that the author had never intended. In that spirit I did not see anyone getting offended because a feature was called a bug. You obviously did and because you are reacting to something that wasn't there (IMO) I find your response bothersome.