Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Zone bonuses should not be doubled by Squint

Yeah, would be more difficult.

However, at present the proof is in a zone where we now find drop rates drop off quickly, so needs checking.
    Originally Posted by Darzil View Post
    Speluck is an easy way of checking in a zone where everything else is fully understood.

Adventuring in Barf Mountain with all the passives (Mad Looting Skillz, Powers of Observatiogn, Natural Born Scrabbler, Object Quasi-Permanence, 20/20 Vision, Thief Among the Honorable), Steely-Eyed Squint, a ring of the skeleton lord and a stinky fannypack. This gives 250% if the drop is doubled, 210% if it isn't. With the perfectly fair coin, I need +233% to force a 15% drop.

I get the drop. Just to check, I swap the fannypack for Cheeng's and equip a Light that Never Goes Out for a natural 210%, which fails to get the drop as expected.

So it looks like the fannypack, at least, is doubled by Squint.

The scenario that triggered this thread, that I've replicated, is:
    *adventure in the Party with Squint, the champagne bottle, the perfectly fair coin, and X% drop that includes the surprisingly capacious handbag. Fail to get a rare. Adventure with X% drop not including the handbag, and get the rare. There are a few other things it could be here -- I'll check whether the fannypack is doubled by the champagne bottle tomorrow.

Champagne bottle seems to also double. Contra earlier this thread, it looks like Florist is doubled as well: if I, with the champagne bottle, remove a camp scout backpack (+15%, doubled) and add a Stealing Magnolia (+25%), I start getting the expensive camera drops again.

Best guess at the moment is just that handbag is special. Next, I'll look into whether it works at all, with the perfectly fair coin.

Developer

Well, that's good news. Maybe handbag is just broken, then.

r18882 reshuffles the code back.
    Last edited by Darzil; 09-12-2018 at 08:28 AM.

Developer

Ryo, how's the spading going? Just handbag broken, or something else?

I think the handbag is broken (and I've bug reported that assuming it to be the case), but I'm no longer certain: I was assuming that all monsters had the same drop rate for the uncommon items in the first X turns, but I'm no longer sure that's true. There are some cases where I've failed to get the drops from e.g. a jock, but got them from a burnout the next turn, or vice versa. I'm now thinking perhaps that was a queue artifact and the actual drop rate decreases for each instance of each monster you encounter. Looking at my logs for the 12th, the encounters went burnout-biker-jock-plain-party, so if all the monsters have the same drop rate for the uncommons, I think that's well-set at 15% for the first fight.

My logs for the 13th indicate that I fought a first-turn burnout with the handbag and failed to get the drops, then swapped in a Light that Never Goes Out and a gold detective badge (replacing a plexiglass pendant) to fight a plain girl and did get the drops, so that would be consistent with the handbag just not working.

edit: today's spading indicates drops probably decrease with each instance of a particular fought. I ran, from the second turn onwards, 235.96% item (decreasing to 234.44% as my snowsuit lost a charge), and fought, in order,

burnout-party-burnout-biker-jock-burnout-jock-nc-burnout-burnout-party-biker-plain

with a perfectly fair coin. I got all four drops from the first instance of each monster, including the plain girl at the end, despite being outside the 10 turn free fight limit (I used free kills to keep the coin up).
    Last edited by Ryo_Sangnoir; 09-22-2018 at 11:57 AM. Reason: note today's spading

I also checked, with 232% drop and the handbag, to see whether it offers any item drop at all (15% would make sense comparing with the wallet chain). Alas, it does not.

I also fought a plain girl with 232% and didn't get the uncommons, then with 234% and did, so it looks like the drop chance decreases with each drop you get.

Developer

I think we'll hope that bug gets a fix, and mark this thread not a bug.