Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: The maximizer prefers items with a negative effect over an empty slot

Developer

I guess there is a bug here, though. Which is that ideally we'd always prefer current (even if nothing) when -tie is in use and no improvement. This looks from the code like it should be the case, but I guess it isn't working.

Though it isn't as buggy as Eclipse for me, which is now refusing to work with my computer at all!
    Last edited by Darzil; 02-13-2019 at 12:09 PM.

I guess there is a bug here, though. Which is that ideally we'd always prefer current (even if nothing) when -tie is in use and no improvement. This looks from the code like it should be the case, but I guess it isn't working.
    Originally Posted by Darzil View Post
    I think this is what I would want/expect. I am blissfully using scripts and if the proper working of a script depends upon a mafia setting then something could/should be scripted to set and restore the setting.

But I think the fundamental problem is that for some maximizer string the maximizer decides that a bathysphere is an improvement over having no familiar equipment at all. That seems like a mazimizer flaw because capping familiar weight is generally undesirable.

I think preferring current with -tie would address this. I also wonder whether using higher familiar weight as a Good Thing in some of the backround defaults the mazimizer uses when it has no other criteria would also help. But either would be fine.
    Well, thank you.
    Originally Posted by Veracity View Post

One way to work around this is to replace -tie with a string of low weighted, desirable attributes.

So instead of 'maximize +combat, -tie' you would use 'maximize +combat, 0.001 familiar weight, 0.002 item drop, 0.001 meat drop'
    (my scripts do something like this to avoid unintended equipment)

Developer

Yeah, there is definitely an issue with nothing being preferred over something with -tie and nothing equipped.

The bug is not "I used -tie because I don't care what I get, but I got something I didn't want because I do care what I get".

If you care what you get, don't use -tie.

Ah I see I missed some discussion here.

I guess there is a bug here, though. Which is that ideally we'd always prefer current (even if nothing) when -tie is in use and no improvement.
    Originally Posted by Darzil View Post
    Yes, this is what I was attempting to report.

Could the tiebreaker automatically apply a slight negative weight to anything that reduces a modifier (possibly with an exception for combat rate)? I think that would solve the bathysphere problem, if not the Crimbolex watch/rollover effect items problem.

Also I did search for the aforementioned preference and also did not find it. Its existence would also mitigate the problem.
    Sig by JakAtk
    My scripts: Prefref Plus | Skillref Plus | One-Click Wossna | Om*****st (??) | Psychose-a-Matic | RandBot
    Combat suite: Best Between Battle | Mercenary Mood | SmartStasis | BatMan | BatMan RE
    For script authors: ASH Wiki | ZLib | BatBrain | CLI Links | Drag-n-Drop Inventories | CanAdv | Script Registry | Map Manager
    If you appreciate my work, help me become BAT KING OF THE WORLD! Thanks to all donators!