Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25

Thread: The latest Daily Build

I was reading this thread because I rarely if ever had read anything in the Unofficial Builds forum and thought I would see what's going on. Has anyone's mind changed about SVN vs Git 5 years on?
    Originally Posted by gausie View Post
    No change that I am aware of. I will use, for scripts, whatever KoLmafia uses for source. KoLmafia source is more about the host, rather than the technology and, being selfish, I have yet to hear a compelling argument why I should have to get an account at another site, learn a new vocabulary and command set, and then modify my processes and procedures to account for the change.

The unreliability of the host could be a compelling argument but we have worked around several SourceForge outages rather than commit to change and now that Microsoft owns GitHub, GitHub's past may not be a reliable predictor of its future.
    You just vehemently agreed with me
    Originally Posted by Veracity View Post
    I agree with frono.
    Originally Posted by Veracity View Post

Developer

No change that I am aware of. I will use, for scripts, whatever KoLmafia uses for source. KoLmafia source is more about the host, rather than the technology and, being selfish, I have yet to hear a compelling argument why I should have to get an account at another site, learn a new vocabulary and command set, and then modify my processes and procedures to account for the change.

The unreliability of the host could be a compelling argument but we have worked around several SourceForge outages rather than commit to change and now that Microsoft owns GitHub, GitHub's past may not be a reliable predictor of its future.
    Originally Posted by fronobulax View Post
    devil's advocate: you can use git on sourceforge. Or on kolmafia.us directly, if fewyn is interested in setting that up. But if you're looking to go that route, you could just as easily host a svn server here.

git != github

That's all I had to contribute to this conversation.

If you want to use git with the codebase, you're free to use git-svn. That's what I use, and I believe hola also uses that setup. I agree that there isn't a compelling reason to migrate from svn -> git, especially given the existence of said compatibility layer.

Point noted. But I recall very few discussions about tools because you can access either kind of repository with the other tool suite if you are motivated enough. So on a practical basis the discussion has always been about where the repository is hosted (and which technology) and SourceForge and GitHub have been the obvious (but not only) choices. So I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that the only reason to revive the discussion was to (re)consider hosting.