My personal Meat farming script

Magus_Prime

Hi zarqon. I ask because I made a typo in one of the property names and it's annoying me that it displays when I type prefref VMF. :) I wanted to erase my error from existence and your tip led me to the correct text file. Thank you!

Semi-related question...is there any way to get VMF to cough up a list of all VMF attributes or am I reduced to using grep?

Last edited:

zarqon

You can use Prefref Plus or a combination of "prefref" and other commands in the CLI to manage any properties you've changed from the default. To see a comprehensive list of all possible VMF configuration options you need to search through the script itself. This is why I requested a "help" option just a few posts earlier.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
b) I tend to run this script multiple times per day per character due to various issues causing the script to abort, and each time, it scans all the mall pages, possibly to the point where it's using more server hits than a mall_price() implementation would have. Is there some way this information can be cached so it doesn't re-search the mall each time the script is run?

I'm going to second this. I run three characters and usually burn their turns within a wall clock hour. Sometimes network hiccups cause an empty combat macro to be generated and that, in turn, results in the script being re-run. Today was particular bad but the prices were updated 7 times in the hour. I could live with once a day for all accounts. I do price sharing and have only rarely found a situation where the cached mall price was not good enough.

Thank you.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I'll be back to working on VMF this weekend, now that I am done with VSG (almost - I have one bug I know of).

I'll figure out what to do about this.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Revision 147 lets you use VeracitySpaceGate to explore Through the Spacegate every day.
There are two configuration settings for this:

Code:
// ****** Spacegate **********

// If you want to explore a Spacegate planet every day, specify a
// command to be passed to the VeracitySpacegate script.
//
// Try "VeracitySpacegate help" to see your many options.
//
// Good choices for a daily run:
//
// random		Random coordinates; something new every day!
// random (A-L)		You can restrict the difficulty level if you wish
// ABCDEFG		(your choice of coordinates) If you are trying to "farm" a particular alien trophy
// procrastinator	(or space baby or space pirate) If you want to "farm" skill books
// animals		If you want to "farm" rare drops from anomalous animals
// plants		If you want to "farm" rare drops from anomalous plants
// animals, plants	If you want both anomalous animals and anomalous plants
//
// The script will maximize your equipment for item drop and include all
// required gear needed to mitigate environmental hazards. You can
// specify additional required equipment or desired modifier parameters
// if you wish via a setting in the VeracitySpacegate script.
//
// You must set uo your CCS (via a consult script, perhaps) to handle
// any combats that you may encounter during your exploration.

string spacegate_command = define_property( "VMF.SpacegateCommand", "string", "" );

// There are two strategies used both for picking an appropriate planet
// and make choice decisions.
//
// turns		maximize number of skippable choice adventures
// research		minimize combats, maximize rocks

string spacegate_strategy = define_property( "VMF.SpacegateStrategy", "string", "turns" );
Yes, VMF.SpacegateStrategy simply gets copied to VSG.Strategy. I figure that many (some?) users of this script are willing to accept the other VSG settings at their default value, but will want to tinker with this one.

Note that unlike how I set up Gingerbread City, VeracitySpacegate is not a "required" script for this script; you have to choose to install it and VMF will only call it if it is installed. If you specify a command and VSG is NOT installed, you'll get a red error message which will allow you to fix that.

I set my command to "random" for my main and she went to a previously unknown planet with hostile aliens. What an explorer!

Magus_Prime

Would you consider adding an option to take advantage of the ten free / zero-turn combats per day in the Neverending Party? If nothing else it's a small chance at gaining some rare items.

Last edited:

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Interesting feature.

I finished a run. Ran the script and it was going fine. I saw "Haunted Temple" scroll by and so I aborted because I thought I had not bought the one-day charter. Turns out that I had and what I saw was the voting booth adventure. I started again and it stopped because one of the items in the Barf Mountain outfit had a higher stat requirement than what I could meet.

Since I did nothing (knowingly) but stop and restart the script, I wonder if an opportunity to verify the outfit was missed?

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Feature Requests for your consideration, although they may be philosophically inconsistent.

My use case is I finish a run and then run VMF to burn the remaining turns before I ascend again.

I have a mood defined with all my meat drop buffs. I keep forgetting to switch to it. Would you consider either having VMF cast and maintain buffs or optionally enable a named mood if present?

As noted above my named outfits sometimes contain gear that cannot always be equipped (at level 13, at the end of a run). As an alternative to a named outfit, would you consider using the Mazimizer to choose equipment? This has the advantage for me that I do not have to redefine my named outfits. It is somewhat future friendly in that it might find something newer and better, compared to the last time I defined the outfit. It also makes the script (rather than the player) the repository of special knowledge such as the effect of cheap sunglasses when encountering tourists.

Thank you.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I have considered allowing configured moods.

As a workaround for now, have you considered a KingLiberated script? I have one which pulls/closets/visits LTT and Detective Precinct to get cowboy boots/badge, etc. It does not set mood, CCS, or recovery options, although it could and should.

I'll have to think about maximizer. Might be useful for others, but personally I am willing to sacrifice some Meat Drop in order to equip certain items that passively drop stuff.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
I had not considered a KingLiberated script. That would certainly address some of my concerns. I shall investigate.

By using your script I am explicitly and very willingly delegating decisions to the script. If we have the same items that produce passive drops I would accept your decision that the drops are more important than extra meat. Since teh script will swap outfit pieces conditionally (voted sticker and mutant limbs come immediately to mind) perhaps a similar mechanic that is unconditionally triggered would work and not be difficult to implement?

Thank you.

clubmasterflex

Set VMF.Familiar =

Despite doing that, it's still getting stuck on not having a hobo monkey.

Code:
> Set VMF.Familiar = Trick-or-Treating Tot

> call scripts\VeracityMeatFarm.ash

Validating configuration.
VMF.FamiliarEquipment: 'ittah bittah hookah' may not be the best item for your Trick-or-Treating Tot; ignoring.
All is well!
dontStopForCounters => true
Acquiring necessary adventuring gear
Using the Time-Spinner
autoSatisfyWithStash => false
autoSatisfyWithStash => true

Visiting Snojo Control Console
Submitting option 3 for choice 1118
Flushing out wandering monsters
You don't have a Hobo Monkey for a familiar.
dontStopForCounters => false
Net income = 0 Meat in 0 turns. Meat/Adventure = 0
Cumulative income = 155,565,213 Meat in 36,730 turns. Meat/Adventure = 4,235

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Yeah, you can set your "meat Familiar":

set VMF.MeatFamiliar=leprechaun

for example. But if you don't, it will use a Tot, a Hobo Monkey, or a Leprechaun - in that order, depending on what you have.

The problem is that there a number of places in the script where it specifically says to use your Hobo Monkey, rather than your Meat Familiar.

I'll fix that. Soon. Off to work right now.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Revision 177 will use your meat familiar, whatever that happens to be, rathan hardcoding HOBO_MONKEY in various places.
In particular, Snojo, Witchess pieces, flushing out wanderers in a Shrine...

clubmasterflex

Revision 177 will use your meat familiar, whatever that happens to be, rathan hardcoding HOBO_MONKEY in various places.
In particular, Snojo, Witchess pieces, flushing out wanderers in a Shrine...

Thanks Veracity! I'll try it out once I finish this run in a day or two. I appreciate you taking the time to address this.

Since I haven't said it before, I really appreciate your meat farming script and I am so glad you continue to help out the community.

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
I have considered allowing configured moods.

As a workaround for now, have you considered a KingLiberated script? I have one which pulls/closets/visits LTT and Detective Precinct to get cowboy boots/badge, etc. It does not set mood, CCS, or recovery options, although it could and should.

I'll have to think about maximizer. Might be useful for others, but personally I am willing to sacrifice some Meat Drop in order to equip certain items that passively drop stuff.

Yeah. The calculation becomes even more complicated when you consider the value of drops (most notably from Screege's which do translate directly to meat).

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Well, I'm glad to get you going, but thee are subtleties here.

For pure Meat Drop, Tot is better than Hobo Monkey is better than Leprechaun,'(Robortender is probably the best, I hear, but I've not tested it, although you can configure VMF to use it,)

Aside from having a higher Meat Drop rate, Hobo Monkey can "steal" meat from your opponent even in otherwise Meatless zones. That is why I was explicitly using my HOBO_MONKEY for Snojo, say.

I'll adjust the code further to stasis with Hobo Monkey if you have one, but requiring to to have one.