Bug - Fixed r17261: Arrowed and digitized the same monster, both trigger digitize tracking in DMT

When I have monster X both arrowed and digitized, encountering the arrowed version in the DMT advances my digitize counter.

So, at a point in my run, I have both arrow and the digitize pending, I went to the Madness Bakery to burn off the digitize since it has priority.

Code:
[294] Madness Bakery
Setting: lastEncounter: Witchess Bishop
Encounter: Witchess Bishop
Setting: _lastCombatStarted: 20161008202800
Setting: _sourceTerminalDigitizeMonsterCount: 2
Setting: relayCounters: 293:Romantic Monster window end loc=* type=wander:rparen.gif
Setting: relayCounters: 293:Romantic Monster window end loc=* type=wander:rparen.gif:323:Digitize Monster loc=* type=wander:watch.gif

So far, so good. I still have an arrow of the Bishop pending. Since I couldn't figure out how this was handled from the commit log, I decided to test it.

Code:
[294] The Deep Machine Tunnels
Encounter: Witchess Bishop
Setting: _lastCombatStarted: 20161008202834
Setting: _sourceTerminalDigitizeMonsterCount: 3
Setting: relayCounters: 293:Romantic Monster window end loc=* type=wander:rparen.gif
Setting: relayCounters: 293:Romantic Monster window end loc=* type=wander:rparen.gif:333:Digitize Monster loc=* type=wander:watch.gif

My arrowed monster is still on the list (which I expect because that isn't accounted for by r17261). But my digitize got pushed out from 323 to 333. Since digitize is known determinisitc, maybe just checking that the digitize is expected (since it has priority over the arrow) may be sufficient?

This also breaks my own ASH code that attempts to resolve this problem, but that's an issue I have to deal with myself.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
I don't actually bother checking the window, though I could...

If both windows are up, it's completely impossible (even for a person sitting there, thinking through all the possible game mechanics) to determine which wanderer you just saw. Technically you can tell once you see the other wanderer, if they are outside DMT, but that logic is too complicated to handle, I think.

I thought about putting a note in the commit saying the tracking isn't perfect (because it can't be). I suppose it should check for the counter being about to expire, but it's going to break anyway when someone brings an arrowed monster in the DMT while the digitize counter is at 0. Unless they always show up in a certain order, but I think it's random what order they show up in.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Also, I have no plan to handle an arrowed monster showing up there, since it's out of Standard and sufficiently unpredictable that using DMT shouldn't save turns anyway.

I don't actually bother checking the window, though I could...

If both windows are up, it's completely impossible (even for a person sitting there, thinking through all the possible game mechanics) to determine which wanderer you just saw. Technically you can tell once you see the other wanderer, if they are outside DMT, but that logic is too complicated to handle, I think.

I thought about putting a note in the commit saying the tracking isn't perfect (because it can't be). I suppose it should check for the counter being about to expire, but it's going to break anyway when someone brings an arrowed monster in the DMT while the digitize counter is at 0. Unless they always show up in a certain order, but I think it's random what order they show up in.

I have many, many data points showing that the digitized monster comes first (before an arrowed monster). And no counter-examples. My ASH code that handles this in HCCS was based on this ordering and hasn't had any issues that I'm aware of.

Also, I have no plan to handle an arrowed monster showing up there, since it's out of Standard and sufficiently unpredictable that using DMT shouldn't save turns anyway.

Of course, I had assumed that you only did digitize because it was deterministic.

Last edited:

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
This is probably all handled in 17269. I would bet money on this being handled wrong when another wanderer source is created, though probably not in a way that most people will notice.

This is probably all handled in 17269. I would bet money on this being handled wrong when another wanderer source is created, though probably not in a way that most people will notice.

Heh, yeah, probably. Or if someone arrows and digitizes a holiday wanderer. Thanks! I'll repeat my test case after rollover and confirm the results.