Witchess Puzzle Solver

Lxndr

SO WEIRD QUESTION. can this be at all modified to a relay script? So I can have a button on every puzzle so I can click "solve" on any given puzzle?

Probably not, I imagine it's a lot of work turning this into a relay script.

Even so, thank you for making this!

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
I have a relay script that just rewrites the javascript / css on that page to make solving less work, but I still haven't given up on solving puzzles by hand.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I've given up on solving the puzzles by hand, until I get to the "you automatically get the buff when you visit" stage, at which point I will work on the 5 (random) puzzles it gives me by hand, since it will not actually affect my game if I solve or do not solve them all.

digitrev

SO WEIRD QUESTION. can this be at all modified to a relay script? So I can have a button on every puzzle so I can click "solve" on any given puzzle?

Probably not, I imagine it's a lot of work turning this into a relay script.

Even so, thank you for making this!

It can and I did! I've submitted a pull request to the this version of the script, but if you want it before the pull request goes through, just run
Code:
svn checkout https://github.com/digitrev/WitchessSolver/trunk

It adds a solve button which fills in the solution on the screen. Then just hit check solution. You'll have to go back to the first puzzle, since clicking through to the puzzle sends you to choice.php and not witchess.php, but going back will have it work without any problems.

Last edited:

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
I am curious about this.

Heh. It was in part an experiment on the use of multi-line ASH (namely, whether it's actually a useful feature or not), so it's not shareable until/unless I commit that code (I can't see a strong reason not to, actually; just need to isolate it, which shouldn't be hard -- most commits don't affect the structure of ASH parsing). I literally replace the entire javascript block with a gigantic multi-line string.

edit: see new thread that I just made

Last edited:

Lxndr

It can and I did! I've submitted a pull request to the this version of the script, but if you want it before the pull request goes through, just run
Code:
svn checkout https://github.com/digitrev/WitchessSolver/trunk

It adds a solve button which fills in the solution on the screen. Then just hit check solution. You'll have to go back to the first puzzle, since clicking through to the puzzle sends you to choice.php and not witchess.php, but going back will have it work without any problems.

THANK YOU. Unfortunately, I seem to be running into puzzles which don't have solutions in the map file (and only have image-solutions in the google doc). but it worked on the one thing that we did have a solution for. I appreciate it!

Crowther

THANK YOU. Unfortunately, I seem to be running into puzzles which don't have solutions in the map file (and only have image-solutions in the google doc). but it worked on the one thing that we did have a solution for. I appreciate it!
Feel free to enter "u d r l" solutions to the document for those puzzles. I've been pulling them from there, but I'm not going to type in dozens of those by hand! Also, I won't be able to glean any next week, so do it before Sunday if you want me to pull them out.

EDIT: Or you can just post those here in the correct format. Saves me the trouble.

Lxndr

Code:
113	R U U U U U U U U R D R D L D R D D L D D D R U U R R R D L L D R R R R U U L U L L U U R D R R U L U R U L L L D L U U R R R R

That one worked for me today. Here's one that I have no access to but i'm reverse engineering from the picture:

Code:
119	u u r r r d l l d r r r r u r d r u u l l l u l l u l l u r r r d r r r d r u u l l l u l u l l l u u u r d u r d r d r r r u l l u r r

I can do more of those if that would be helpful. but I can't test any of them, unless i run into them before Sunday.

Crowther

I never tested most of the ones I listed. I figured they'd mostly work and if one failed someone would post about it and we could fix it pretty easily. If you post them here like you just did (very nice), the Sunday deadline doesn't matter, because I'm not involved.

Crowther

The existing solution for 71 (from the Google doc) doesn't work. The other one in the document does. This is it:
Code:
u u u u u u r d d d d d d r u u u u u u r r r r d d d d l l l d r r d r u r u r u l u u r u l u l l l l l u r r r r r r
Sorry, it seems I can insert a tab on this machine. Weird.

Crowther

Sorry, once again I fail at inserting tabs.
Code:
113     r u u u u u u u u r d r d l d r d d l d d d r u u r r r d l l d r r r r u u l u l l u u r d r r u l u r u l l l d l u u r r r r
119     l u u u r r r d l l d r r r r u r d r u u l l l u l l u l l u r r r d r r r d r u u l l l u l u l l l u u u r d u r d r d r r r u l l u r r
121     u r r u l l u u u u u u r r r d r d l l l d d d d r r d d r r d r r r u u l l l u u l l l u r r r u u r r r r u u

EDIT: Grrr. Solution #119 is pulled directly from the document, but fails. The other two I can't test.

Icy elemental

I fixed the typos in puzzle 119 and also added typed up solutions for every puzzle that didn't have them. Which puzzles are coming up with errors? If someone supplies a list of puzzles with errors in them, I'll work on them and see what's wrong.

Last edited:

Kailen4

Just a heads up, browsing the daily puzzles (just going to the pages) generates the following errors:

"htmlform.ash could not be found (witchess.ash, line 7)"

It should be noted somewhere that another script is required to make this one run. I can still RUN the script, but every time I look at the puzzle myself that's the error that pops up.