Bug - Fixed Brick Mulligan, the Bartender

matt.chugg

Brick Mulligan, the Bartender has a frequency of 0 when using appearance_rates($location[Kokomo Resort])

AFAIK this indicates one-time/boss/semi-rare, but Brick is none of these, according to the wiki (and I verified yesterday) Brick Mulligan, the Bartender Occurs at Kokomo Resort every 25 turns from turn 26.

This is quite near to being 0, and I might just be misunderstanding what we call one-time, but I think that makes his nth appearance likelihood n/((n*25)+1) (0.038462 for first and getting better there after converging towards 0.04)

Do people want this sort of level, should I submit this as a bug/feature request, or is it too edgey casey?

Last edited:

Darzil

Developer
So that makes him a superlikey, and one we can track with counts, can fix that (I'm tending to do these as people mention them, when I have time/inclination.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
This won't change the fact that appearance_rates($location[Kokomo Resort]) gives 0 for Brick Mulligan, the Bartender most of the time. Since the reason you made this thread is for your Manuel script, I'll answer your next question and say that mafia currently doesn't give you any way to distinguish between once-per-ascension monsters (what you actually wanted to filter out) versus monsters that can appear multiple times but just aren't part of the normal adventure queue.

matt.chugg

hmm, I guess it will still show freq zero unless you are ready to meet him, is there a way to mark the monster differently, so I can display it as superlikly @25 in the manuel without building my own dataset, theres probably a whole discussion needed as there are various cases throughout the kingdom

matt.chugg

hah! ninja'd with answer before I asked the question. impressive!

i'll build my own dataset then I guess, maybe even with helpful hints on how to find the monster (eg, wear brown paper bag etc....)

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
hah! ninja'd with answer before I asked the question. impressive!

i'll build my own dataset then I guess, maybe even with helpful hints on how to find the monster (eg, wear brown paper bag etc....)

Wow. Thanks in advance, assuming the hints make it.

Darzil

Developer
hmm, I guess it will still show freq zero unless you are ready to meet him, is there a way to mark the monster differently, so I can display it as superlikly @25 in the manuel without building my own dataset, theres probably a whole discussion needed as there are various cases throughout the kingdom
When I first started looking at this sort of thing I considered whether there were simple ways to annotate the combat.txt file to make this all clear and function correctly, but there are just so many different mechanisms that it really doesn't work in enough cases to be worth doing. So I'm afraid we're stuck with kludgy code.

One thing that is awkward in appearance rates is whether you want the chance of them appearing next turn, which is what we implement, or the change of them appearing in the next X turns, which is a very different matter.

matt.chugg

I started building my own data file, but that's led to me re-examining my map knowledge, specifically, how to store a map of records keyed by monster! fun fun fun

Bale

Minion
It's great the way that a new scripting project can reveal so many inaccuracies in our data files. You've had quite the rush of bug reports lately. Keep it up!

Do people want this sort of level, should I submit this as a bug/feature request, or is it too edgey casey?

I'm moving this to the bug report forum and marking it fixed. Because it belonged there. :D :D