Deck of Every Card Daily Deed?

Sines

How come there isn't a Daily Deed entry in Mafia for the Deck of Every Card? I'm suffering Florist Friar syndrome with the Deck, and an entry in Daily Deeds (with buttons for Use and Cheat) would be really nice.

As an alternative, is there a chat macro for cheating? /use just takes me straight to drawing a card (although that might be because I left on fast draw).

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
If you want to have a button that you press and it pulls cards, probably not going to happen because the deed is not going to be the right thing for all of the users all of the time. If you want a reminder that says you have used X/Y pulls, much like rests and the still then that sounds like a reasonable thing for everyone.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
KoLmafia does not supply you with chat macros. It does, however, supply you with a CLI - and there is a CLI command to cheat.

Bale

Minion
If you want to have a button that you press and it pulls cards, probably not going to happen because the deed is not going to be the right thing for all of the users all of the time.

Why not? There could be a drop-down. Some daily deeds are built that way.

Sines

Well, the reason I ask for a Chat Macro is so that I can place a button on the top of the screen in the native interface. A button to cheat would remind me to use the deck, and unlike just pulling a card regularly, if I click on it by accident, I can always just back out. Right now, I've just got the regular use button up there, but if it goes straight to pulling cards, then it's going to remind me to Cheat far more often than it will actually be clicked on.

And as far as a drop down menu goes, it wouldn't be much longer or more unreasonable than the Tea Party drop-down. Add an extra entry to the side of it for how many pulls you've used, and it's golden.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
You misunderstood me: when I said "KoL does not supply you with chat macros", I was saying "KoLmafia CANNOT supply you with chat macros." KoLmafia does not run on the KoL server and interpret chat commands. Only KoL does that.

You can "ask for a Chat Macro" all you want, but it ain't gonna happen - from us.

Perhaps you should look at greycat's forum post that says how to make your own chat macro that will cheat the deck.

Sines

You misunderstood me: when I said "KoL does not supply you with chat macros", I was saying "KoLmafia CANNOT supply you with chat macros." KoLmafia does not run on the KoL server and interpret chat commands. Only KoL does that.

You can "ask for a Chat Macro" all you want, but it ain't gonna happen - from us.

Perhaps you should look at greycat's forum post that says how to make your own chat macro that will cheat the deck.

Actually, all I wanted was something to place in a Custom Macro in the native interface. That post of Greycat (from someone else) seems to do the trick just fine, I'll test it after rollover.

More than anything else, I just wanted a prominent reminder of the existence of my deck. I've now placed that on my top bar, and it should do the job just fine.

Sines

Unfortunately, while that command

/goto inv_use.php?whichitem=8382&cheat=1&pwd='+pwdhash+'

seems to work from the chat window, it doesn't work from the top macro bar. I'll leave it there as a reminder, it still works as that, but it would be nice to have easier access to my deck cheat.

Zen00

I wrote a daily deed to pull cards randomly, but no one used it after I posted it.

Writing a daily deed like Teaparty would be trivial, but everyone is against it for some reason I don't understand.

Darzil

Developer
Writing a daily deed like Teaparty would be trivial, but everyone is against it for some reason I don't understand.
I'm not against it, I'm just busy and haven't done so, and it's not that near the top of my pile (which is bug fixes and some warnings to debug in my local code for Mayo).
You could always write one and post a patch here for a dev to consider?

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
I wrote a daily deed to pull cards randomly, but no one used it after I posted it.

The philosophy behind daily deeds embedded in mafia has inconsistently evolved. My current understanding of it is that if it can be easily scripted it is unlikely to be worked on by a dev unless having it there is their personal preference or it is simple, relative to the amount of time they are willing to spend, and won't hurt/harm any users who don't want/care about the feature. My comment about not going to happen was based upon my, possibly incorrect, recollection that a menu that allowed all of the options could be lengthy - more than 5 items - and the menu itself would be dynamic in that something would have to figure out there were not enough draws left to cheat and disable or remove the entry. The size of the Daily Deeds window has been an issue in the past in that it drove the size of the container in undesirable ways. That may have been fixed but confirming it would part of the code and test process.

One compromise has been that users are supposed to be able to define their own daily deeds. If there is a deed that cannot be defined then mafia is likely to make changes that support it, but it is not clear that something else is required.

If you want to get on at least one person's ignore list, continue to use the word "trivial" when talking about adding something to KoLmafia. Your opinion on how difficult or easy something is will carry more weight if it is accompanied with a patch. If you are not capable of writing such a patch then perhaps you might reconsider whether expressing your opinion of the difficulty is appropriate. That said, if you do write a patch and make sure it comes to my attention, I will either submit it on your behalf or point you at technical issues that need to be addressed.

xKiv

Unfortunately, while that command

/goto inv_use.php?whichitem=8382&cheat=1&pwd='+pwdhash+'

seems to work from the chat window, it doesn't work from the top macro bar. I'll leave it there as a reminder, it still works as that, but it would be nice to have easier access to my deck cheat.

Isn't the workaround for that to create a /cheat chat macro, and then use /cheat from top bar?

... - and the menu itself would be dynamic in that something would have to figure out there were not enough draws left to cheat and disable or remove the entry. .

Also you can't summon the same thing twice in a row^W^W the same day, so you would have to track what was summoned today and disable those too.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Your opinion on how difficult or easy something is will carry more weight if it is accompanied with a patch. If you are not capable of writing such a patch then perhaps you might reconsider whether expressing your opinion of the difficulty is appropriate. That said, if you do write a patch and make sure it comes to my attention, I will either submit it on your behalf or point you at technical issues that need to be addressed.
Are you volunteering to look at PeKaJe's patch? :)

Sines

Isn't the workaround for that to create a /cheat chat macro, and then use /cheat from top bar?

I tried doing what was listed in the greycats post and the linked one, but they don't offer any actual instructions, so perhaps I'm doing it wrong.

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
Ostensibly you could just use /goto inv_use.php?whichitem=8382&cheat=1&pwd='+$('form').find($('input[name=pwd]')).attr('value')+', but whatever.

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
Code:
/goto inv_use.php?whichitem=8382&cheat=1&pwd='.concat($('input[name=pwd]').val());'

seems to work just fine in my case. I'm not totally sure why what I posted didn't (it seems like awesomemenu was encoding the +'s into spaces).