KoLMafia will not open links to anything including Relay Browser

AggiePunbot

Yes, I realize this is likely a problem on my end. However, I have no idea where to go to ask for help on fixing this issue.

I have used KoLMafia reliably for a few months on my new computer with few problems. However, when I logged in today I found I could not open a relay browser. Upon further investigation I discovered that I could not open any links to anything (this forum, the KoL forums, etc.). I expect this may be some sort of security issue on my part but I cannot think of which program could be causing this problem.

Default Browser: Firefox
Firewall: Comodo
Anti Virus: AVG AntiVirus 2015

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bale

Minion
Moved thread to "Community Support" from "Bug Report" forum. If it isn't a bug it doesn't belong there. (The "Not a Bug" tag is used by devs to indicate that a bug report has already been resolved and the user error was found. It's a good way to make people think that the problem was solved.)

Please check "Preferences -> External Programs -> Browser" and tell us what it says. It is possible that it got misconfigured and trying to open the links in something weird.

PS. How do you like Comodo and AVG? I'm thinking about quitting Avast so I would appreciate the feedback on your firewall/anti-virus.

AggiePunbot

Aha! It worked! Thank you very much!

Comodo works excellently for me; easy to use, easy to configure, doesn't screw things over. AVG, on the other hand, on occasion will botch an update and require you to restart the computer or reinstall the program. This doesn't happen often, mind you, but it is annoying when it happens.

Last edited:

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
AVG was once the best of the freeware AVs. I have not yet gotten annoyed enough with it to uninstall, although I have seen several tests that claim Avast provides better protection. It will periodically pop up something in the notification area which is an opportunity to upgrade or try a paid product once. I ignore them but several less computer savvy folks I "support" always ask what they are supposed to do since they "trust" AVG.

When you say you could not open anything is that from the relay browser or from any program that might talk to the internet?

AggiePunbot

When you say you could not open anything is that from the relay browser or from any program that might talk to the internet?

It was from anything in KoLMafia, not from any other source. Fortunately Bale suggested the exact place that could have been the problem, and it has been fixed. \o/