Bug - Cannot Reproduce KolMafia crashing when attempting to open the relay browser

I just logged in today and as always, updated to the latest build and went on my way to play, but whenever I click the button to open the relay browser Mafia closes itself (as if you were to input the command "exit")

I downloaded the 2 previous versions and it happens to both, directly linked to my default browser in the settings instead of leaving it blank and also tried linking it to a different browser, same thing happens with both.

There are no error logs in the Mafia folder so i am quite baffled as to why this is happening.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Try using a command prompt to open mafia. Switch to the folder with mafia, then use "java -jar KoLmafia-XXXXX.jar" (replace X with the version number) to run mafia. When you try to open the relay browser, you should see output of some type.

Ok doing it like that did produce an error log file, here is what's in it:

Code:
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
         KoLmafia v16.5 r14927, Windows 7, Java 1.7.0_60
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
 Please note: do not post this log in the KoLmafia thread of KoL's
 Gameplay-Discussion forum. If you would like the KoLmafia dev team
 to look at it, please write a bug report at kolmafia.us. Include
 specific information about what you were doing when you made this
 and include this log as an attachment.
 Timestamp: Fri Nov 07 18:11:12 GMT 2014

Unexpected error, debug log printed.
class java.lang.NullPointerException: null
java.lang.NullPointerException
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.listener.CharacterListenerRegistry.updateStatus(CharacterListenerRegistry.java:84)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.KoLCharacter.updateStatus(KoLCharacter.java:4912)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.KoLCharacter.updateSelectedLocation(KoLCharacter.java:4923)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.swingui.panel.ChoiceOptionsPanel$UpdateChoicesListener.valueChanged(ChoiceOptionsPanel.java:833)
	at javax.swing.JList.fireSelectionValueChanged(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.JList$ListSelectionHandler.valueChanged(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.DefaultListSelectionModel.fireValueChanged(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.DefaultListSelectionModel.changeSelection(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.DefaultListSelectionModel.changeSelection(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.DefaultListSelectionModel.setSelectionInterval(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.JList.setSelectedIndex(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.JList.setSelectedValue(Unknown Source)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.swingui.panel.AdventureSelectPanel.updateSelectedAdventure(AdventureSelectPanel.java:265)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.swingui.panel.AdventureSelectPanel.updateFromPreferences(AdventureSelectPanel.java:232)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.swingui.AdventureFrame.updateFromPreferences(AdventureFrame.java:187)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.preferences.Preferences.reset(Preferences.java:138)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.KoLmafia.timein(KoLmafia.java:611)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.LoginRequest.processLoginRequest(LoginRequest.java:449)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.GenericRequest.handleServerRedirect(GenericRequest.java:1962)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.GenericRequest.retrieveServerReply(GenericRequest.java:1857)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.GenericRequest.execute(GenericRequest.java:1511)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.GenericRequest.run(GenericRequest.java:1405)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.LoginRequest.run(LoginRequest.java:279)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.RequestThread.postRequest(RequestThread.java:287)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.RequestThread.postRequest(RequestThread.java:250)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.LoginRequest.executeTimeInRequest(LoginRequest.java:362)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.GenericRequest.handleServerRedirect(GenericRequest.java:2026)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.GenericRequest.retrieveServerReply(GenericRequest.java:1857)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.GenericRequest.execute(GenericRequest.java:1511)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.GenericRequest.run(GenericRequest.java:1405)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.ContactListRequest.run(ContactListRequest.java:77)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.KoLmafiaGUI.constructFrame(KoLmafiaGUI.java:403)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.KoLmafiaGUI.constructFrame(KoLmafiaGUI.java:234)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.KoLDesktop.initializeTabs(KoLDesktop.java:187)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.KoLDesktop.getInstance(KoLDesktop.java:246)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.KoLmafiaGUI.intializeMainInterfaces(KoLmafiaGUI.java:169)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.session.LoginManager.initialize(LoginManager.java:234)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.session.LoginManager.doLogin(LoginManager.java:93)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.session.LoginManager.login(LoginManager.java:77)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.LoginRequest.processLoginRequest(LoginRequest.java:453)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.GenericRequest.handleServerRedirect(GenericRequest.java:1962)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.LoginRequest.run(LoginRequest.java:279)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.swingui.LoginFrame$LoginPanel.doLogin(LoginFrame.java:343)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.swingui.LoginFrame$LoginPanel.actionConfirmed(LoginFrame.java:299)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.swingui.panel.GenericPanel$ConfirmedListener.execute(GenericPanel.java:627)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.swingui.listener.ThreadedListener.run(ThreadedListener.java:239)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.RequestThread$SequencedRunnable.run(RequestThread.java:419)
	at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
I would expect that error to happen when logging in, not when trying to open the Relay Browser...

In the settings folder, check out the [playername]_prefs.txt file in a plain-text editor (something like Notepad, not something like Word) while mafia is closed. Does it all look like readable text (especially at the start and end)? Actually, before looking at the file, check its size, which should be around 30-50 KB.

I guess it's worth doing the same check for GLOBAL_prefs.txt, which should be around 15 KB.

Sorry for the late response. I just tried to play again today, same version as before, and they worked, updated to the latest one and it worked too. I have no idea what happened but it seems to have fixed itself.

Theraze

When I'm playing with mafia and my computer hits BSOD, and as I have mafia set to save on change, the preferences often get corrupted and end up ballooning up to 350k+ instead of the 50k or so that shows a healthy file. The corrupted file is actually still 50k, but when mafia parses it again, it expands. Since I use Dropbox, I can restore to the second-to-newest preference file and not loose too much except for a few turns before I realized that my preferences were corrupted. The obvious sign of corruption is either my combat command changing from my CCS to the default "Attack with weapon" or my ValueOfAdventure changing from my 1250 to the default 500.

It's not a mafia bug, because I've told mafia to save things continually and then had my computer crash while saving, as I told it to do. It might have been a similar issue for you causing non-mafia-faulted data corruption. If you had demon names or other such items saved and they are no longer... consider restoring a backup. If you have one.

I've experienced that kind of error you describe before, but this wasn't like it. My only explanation is that java must have freaked out somehow, because mafia worked perfectly fine when that error was taking place and now that it seems fixed, no weird changes in the files or the configs or anything.