Bug - Fixed Plural

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I just ran checkplurals again. There were a heck of a lot fewer discrepancies - and your change to use api.php when possible was sweet; thanks! - but there were a couple dozen obvious errors. I checked as many as I could, although I did accept a number of Wiki things that were consistent with how every other item with a similar name was pluralized.

There were also a fair number of discrepancies where, by golly, Kolmafia was correct and the Wiki was incorrect.

I submitted the plurals I accepted in revision 14656.

I will not be surprised to see other missing ones, but they should be rare, I hope.

Bale

Minion
There were also a fair number of discrepancies where, by golly, Kolmafia was correct and the Wiki was incorrect.

If you kept a list of those, I would not mind editing them into the wiki as part of a continuing effort to make it less awful.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Here's the list of discrepancies that still exist. Some are obvious Wiki errors. Some look wrong, but can be tested (by me) eventually.

Verified errors in Wiki:

*** anniversary balsa wood socks: KoLmafia plural = "pairs of anniversary balsa wood socks", Wiki plural = "pairs of anniversary balsa wood socks (which you r"
*** Artist's Crème Brulée Torch of Fury: KoLmafia plural = "Crème Brulée Torches of Fury", Wiki plural = "Artist's Crème Brulee Torches of Fury"
*** dusty left eleventh rib: KoLmafia plural = "dusty left eleventh ribs", Wiki plural = "dusty left elventh ribs"
*** packet of dragon's teeth: KoLmafia plural = "packets of dragon's teeth", Wiki plural = "packet of dragon's teeths"

Look like errors in KoL, but either KoLmafia or the Wiki are wrong:

*** eel battery: KoL plural = "eel battery", KoLmafia plural = "eel battery", Wiki plural = "eel batteries"
*** googly eye: KoL plural = "googly eye", KoLmafia plural = "googly eye", Wiki plural = "google eyes"
*** throwing wrench: KoL plural = "throwing wrenchs", KoLmafia plural = "throwing wrenches", Wiki plural = "throwing wrenchs"

Typos, perhaps? Will check, by and by.

*** sparking El Vibrato drone: KoLmafia plural = "sparking El Vibrato drones", Wiki plural = "sparkling El Vibrato drones"

Unverifiable, but doubtful. I can check these when I break Ronin.

*** Crimboween memo: KoLmafia plural = "Crimboween memos", Wiki plural = "Crimboween memoes"
*** depleted Grimacite shinguards: KoLmafia plural = "depleted Grimacite shinguardss", Wiki plural = "depleted grimacite shinguardss"
*** A Beginner's Guide to Charming Snakes (used): KoLmafia plural = "used copies of a book about snake charming", Wiki plural = "used copies of A Beginner's Guide to Charming Snak"

Looks wrong (why not "flasks"?) and I have on my list to check when I buy one. Someday.

*** Essence of Annoyance: KoLmafia plural = "Essence of Annoyances", Wiki plural = "flask of Essence of Annoyance"

Unverifiable (by me), but doubtful.

*** Grimacite Bock: KoLmafia plural = "bottles of Grimacite Bock", Wiki plural = "Bottles of Grimacite Bock"
*** Manual of Transcendent Olfaction: KoLmafia plural = "Manuals of Transcendent Olfaction", Wiki plural = "Manual of Transcendent Olfaction"
*** Libram of Resolutions: KoLmafia plural = "Librams of Resolutions", Wiki plural = "Libram of Resolutionss"

Believable, but unverifiable (by me):

*** Jeppson's Malort: KoLmafia plural = "Jeppson's Malorts", Wiki plural = "bottles of Jeppson's Malort"
*** Small Medium: KoLmafia plural = "Small Mediums", Wiki plural = "Small Media"

Unverifiable, since they are custom items. Look like the plural was pulled out of somebody's ass.

*** Annual Ascot: KoLmafia plural = "Annual Ascots", Wiki plural = "I am a fish"
*** Leapin' Trousers: KoLmafia plural = "Leapin' Trouserss", Wiki plural = "I Am A Fish"
*** Solstice Shield: KoLmafia plural = "Solstice Shields", Wiki plural = "I am a fish"

Bale

Minion
Here's the list of discrepancies that still exist. Some are obvious Wiki errors. Some look wrong, but can be tested (by me) eventually.

Verified errors in Wiki:

*** anniversary balsa wood socks: KoLmafia plural = "pairs of anniversary balsa wood socks", Wiki plural = "pairs of anniversary balsa wood socks (which you r"
*** Artist's Crème Brulée Torch of Fury: KoLmafia plural = "Crème Brulée Torches of Fury", Wiki plural = "Artist's Crème Brulee Torches of Fury"
*** dusty left eleventh rib: KoLmafia plural = "dusty left eleventh ribs", Wiki plural = "dusty left elventh ribs"
*** packet of dragon's teeth: KoLmafia plural = "packets of dragon's teeth", Wiki plural = "packet of dragon's teeths"

Updated the wiki with these. From the look of them, they were probably changed by Jick at some time.

If you verify any of the others please post then here and I'll be glad to make the wiki better.

Crowther

Mafia (r14658) and Kol disagree on these. I believe they don't need to be verified, but I verified some obvious typos and got "You acquire 2 tiny plastic conservationist hippy" and "You acquire 2 throwing wrenchs", which probably should be a KoL typo report.

*** Knob stir-fry: KoLmafia plural = "plates of knob stir-fry", KoL plural = "plates of Knob stir-fry"
*** picture of a dead guy's girlfriend: KoLmafia plural = "pictures of some dead guys's girlfriends", KoL plural = "pictures of some dead guys' girlfriends"
*** googly eye: KoLmafia plural = "googly eyes", KoL plural = "google eyes"
*** miniature stuffed Goth Giant: KoLmafia plural = "miniature stuffed Goth Giants", KoL plural = "miniature stuffed goth giants"
*** hairy staff: KoLmafia plural = "hairy staffs", KoL plural = "hairy staves"
*** deck of tropical cards: KoLmafia plural = "deck of tropical cardses", KoL plural = "decks of tropical cards"
*** tiny plastic conservationist hippy: KoLmafia plural = "tiny plastic conservationist hippies", KoL plural = "tiny plastic conservationist hippy"
*** canteen of wine: KoLmafia plural = "canteen of wines", KoL plural = "canteens of wine"
*** pig-iron bracers: KoLmafia plural = "pig-iron bracerss", KoL plural = "pairs of pig-iron bracers"
*** throwing wrench: KoLmafia plural = "throwing wrenches", KoL plural = "throwing wrenchs"
*** foreign box: KoLmafia plural = "foreign boxs", KoL plural = "foreign boxes"
*** Bone's Farm "wine": KoLmafia plural = "bottles of Bone's Farm "wine"", KoL plural = "bottles of Bone's Farm "wine""
*** fudge lily: KoLmafia plural = "fudge lillies", KoL plural = "fudge lilies"
*** crude crudités: KoLmafia plural = "crude cruditéss", KoL plural = "crude crudités"
*** gourmet gourami oil: KoLmafia plural = "vails of gourmet gourami oil", KoL plural = "vials of gourmet gourami oil"

I had intended to look through the wiki mismatches, but ran out of time/energy.

Yendor

Some of these can be checked with the sig generators in KoL's account menu. Find someone with multiples in their display case and change the numbers to suit.

*** sparking El Vibrato drone: KoLmafia plural = "sparking El Vibrato drones", Wiki plural = "sparkling El Vibrato drones"
*** A Beginner's Guide to Charming Snakes (used): KoLmafia plural = "used copies of a book about snake charming", Wiki plural = "used copies of A Beginner's Guide to Charming Snak"
*** Grimacite Bock: KoLmafia plural = "bottles of Grimacite Bock", Wiki plural = "Bottles of Grimacite Bock"
*** Libram of Resolutions: KoLmafia plural = "Librams of Resolutions", Wiki plural = "Libram of Resolutionss"
Fixed on the wiki.

*** eel battery: KoL plural = "eel battery", KoLmafia plural = "eel battery", Wiki plural = "eel batteries"
*** googly eye: KoL plural = "googly eye", KoLmafia plural = "googly eye", Wiki plural = "google eyes"
*** throwing wrench: KoL plural = "throwing wrenchs", KoLmafia plural = "throwing wrenches", Wiki plural = "throwing wrenchs"
*** Crimboween memo: KoLmafia plural = "Crimboween memos", Wiki plural = "Crimboween memoes"
*** depleted Grimacite shinguards: KoLmafia plural = "depleted Grimacite shinguardss", Wiki plural = "depleted grimacite shinguardss"
*** Manual of Transcendent Olfaction: KoLmafia plural = "Manuals of Transcendent Olfaction", Wiki plural = "Manual of Transcendent Olfaction"
*** Small Medium: KoLmafia plural = "Small Mediums", Wiki plural = "Small Media"
Wiki appears right on these.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I submitted a KoL bug report for the eel battery, googly eye, and throwing wrench.
If KoL fixes them, I will adjust items.txt.

Regarding some of the others - I'm looking at you, sparking El Vibrato drone, Crimboween memo, depleted Grimacite shinguards - if you have a single one of an item in inventory, you can do this:

/closet? 10 <item name>

and KoL will report that the command would return (because it is /closet?):

You don't have that many <item plural>, you've only got 1.

The items I called out are either ones I have in my DC or can get, without TOO much trouble. If someone not in Hardcore or Ronin happens to have one of those items, I won't feel hurt if you try them first. For that matter, if someone has one of the following items:

Essence of Annoyance
Grimacite Bock
Manual of Transcendent Olfaction
Libram of Resolutions
Jeppson's Malort
Small Medium

which I will not be getting myself any time soon, since they are way too expensive for me to buy just to test a plural, please try the /closet? command and report back.

Thanks!

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
*** Knob stir-fry: KoLmafia plural = "plates of knob stir-fry", KoL plural = "plates of Knob stir-fry"
*** picture of a dead guy's girlfriend: KoLmafia plural = "pictures of some dead guys's girlfriends", KoL plural = "pictures of some dead guys' girlfriends"
*** hairy staff: KoLmafia plural = "hairy staffs", KoL plural = "hairy staves"
*** deck of tropical cards: KoLmafia plural = "deck of tropical cardses", KoL plural = "decks of tropical cards"
*** canteen of wine: KoLmafia plural = "canteen of wines", KoL plural = "canteens of wine"
*** pig-iron bracers: KoLmafia plural = "pig-iron bracerss", KoL plural = "pairs of pig-iron bracers"
*** foreign box: KoLmafia plural = "foreign boxs", KoL plural = "foreign boxes"
*** fudge lily: KoLmafia plural = "fudge lillies", KoL plural = "fudge lilies"
*** gourmet gourami oil: KoLmafia plural = "vails of gourmet gourami oil", KoL plural = "vials of gourmet gourami oil"
*** crude crudités: KoLmafia plural = "crude cruditéss", KoL plural = "crude crudités"
Fixed. (with the HTML entity for the last one, obviously)

*** googly eye: KoLmafia plural = "googly eyes", KoL plural = "google eyes"
Huh? "/pull? 2 googly eye -> Would produce: Pulling 2 googly eye." You listed the Wiki plural - which is also wrong.

*** miniature stuffed Goth Giant: KoLmafia plural = "miniature stuffed Goth Giants", KoL plural = "miniature stuffed goth giants"
*** tiny plastic conservationist hippy: KoLmafia plural = "tiny plastic conservationist hippies", KoL plural = "tiny plastic conservationist hippy"
*** throwing wrench: KoLmafia plural = "throwing wrenches", KoL plural = "throwing wrenchs"
These look like KoL bugs

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Some of these can be checked with the sig generators in KoL's account menu. Find someone with multiples in their display case and change the numbers to suit.
Clever.

Fixed on the wiki.
Thank you!

Not according to my tests, using "/pull?" or "/closet?". These look like KoL bugs.

If the Wiki is right, then it looks like these are all KoL bugs. In particular, other "shinguards" pluralize as "pairs of shinguards".

Thank you! I will fix KoLmafia to agree.

Yendor

Not according to my tests, using "/pull?" or "/closet?". These look like KoL bugs.

I bought some, and got:
Unexpected plural of 'googly eye' found: google eyes
Unexpected plural of 'eel battery' found: eel batteries

So something odd is going on here.

EDIT: It seems "/closet?" doesn't use the plural if you have enough.

Would produce: Closeting 2 Tears of the Quiet Healer.
Would produce: You don't have that many Tears of the Quiet Healers, you've only got 73.

Last edited:

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
> /pull? 1000 googly eye

Would produce: Hagnk's doesn't have that many of your google eyes, he's only got 6.

> /pull? 2 googly eye

Would produce: Pulling 2 googly eye.
*sigh*

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
KoL bug report submitted:

OK, I reported on some plural bugs, based on what /closet? and /pull? told me. Turns out, some of those plurals are correct - but the /closet? and /pull? commands are inconsistent. Consider:

> /pull? 1000 googly eye

Would produce: Hagnk's doesn't have that many of your google eyes, he's only got 6.

> /pull? 2 googly eye

Would produce: Pulling 2 googly eye.

So, if you don't have enough of the item you are trying to manipulate, it uses the plural. If you DO have enough, it uses the singular item name with the number tacked on the front.

I will know to use a Very Large Number whenn checking for plurals, henceforth, but it seems to me like it is a bug that the /pull and /closet commands do not pluralize the item name, as appropriate, if they succeed.

Thanks.
And revision 14662 updates items.txt with the current (correct?) plurals for googly eye and eel battery.