New Content - Implemented airplane charter: Spring Break Beach

Bale

Minion
I meant that I am 99% sure that they implemented it based on their local day because other such things are implemented that way.

Darzil

Developer
r14323 adds umdLastObtained. It writes it as YYYY-MM-DD so it can be compared as text, and is human readable. The choice spoiler in the relay browser is changed based on whether it is 7 days later or not. In 7 days we can tell it a null value means >7 days rather than unknown.

mstieler

What kind of scripting language would be necessary to track this? Would mafia understand something like "umdLastObtained +7"?

Edit: I'll open this bit up as a new thread if necessary; had missed the "Implemented" tag.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
What kind of scripting language would be necessary to track this? Would mafia understand something like "umdLastObtained +7"?

You will need to write some date comparison code if you really want to fully automate that somehow. Mafia's tracking is sufficient to properly label the choice, and it's sufficiently human readable for someone that wants to figure out when they should get a UMD.

DoctorRotelle

Developer
Question, when does the UMD actually become available, after 7 days or 7 rollovers (folks are saying 7 rollovers)? Meaning, if I log in before midnight, do I need to wait til after midnight to get the UMD? I have characters with no spring break and they'll always be null... and there's no proper way to see if you have it without visiting 2 pages. See, I'm the SAME timezone as AZ, atm. Rollover is ~8:30pm. I play 1-2 characters before midnight. #2 is my instance of "Did i do it before or after midnight?". If it is 7 rollovers, then the code from this update isn't reliable for similar situations.

Darzil

Developer
If spaders show in future that the mechanism is different from that I was told it probably was, which I implemented, it will be changed.

There is no reliable way to tell if you have it at present, as there is no way to know the one day version wasn't used that day already. I have put in a radio question suggesting it'd be fun to have a different message about flying there at a lower 'class' given the one day pass, which might be both funny and allow us to know which version was used.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
It would also be nice to have a preference which tracked the number of adv spent in the yacht since the last choice adventure 918.

That could be said about maybe 50 different locations for various reasons, probably. If that type of thing is going to be tracked, it seems like it should be done in a more generic way (like the way the queue is tracked).

Razorsoup

You will need to write some date comparison code if you really want to fully automate that somehow. Mafia's tracking is sufficient to properly label the choice, and it's sufficiently human readable for someone that wants to figure out when they should get a UMD.

mstieler: If you do end up looking for date comparison code, I would recommend checking out this thread. DateLib has a datediff function and I posted an alternative implementation of a datediff function in that thread. It takes dates in a slightly different format than the umdLastObtained property but it should be enough to get you going.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Question, when does the UMD actually become available, after 7 days or 7 rollovers (folks are saying 7 rollovers)?
Last Monday - 7 days ago - I got a UMD in the afternoon. I just got another one at 1 AM. In both cases, it was 7 rollovers from the previous one, but this one was not 7*24 hours later.

I'd call the "7 rollover" thing proven.

DoctorRotelle

Developer
IF we're going to set a date preference, shouldn't we use an existing format to something available via ash commands? And getting it 2 mondays in-a-row doesn't prove the rollover thing unless 1am to you is before midnight in AZ (and Sunday to them still).

Darzil

Developer
Not sure if there are any date formats in ash, as I'm not really an ash programmer. There is a Mafia command string format_date_time( string inFormat , string dtg , string outFormat ) which translates one date format to another though.

The current format is a standard format which allows string comparisons to make sense whilst also allowing a human to read them.

I'm really not sure what you're asking for other than that you want the preference to be different ?

Edit, I'll grant you that YYYYMMDD as used in the linked thread is slightly more standard, but only when used by code, you wouldn't use it where humans were going to read it.

Edit2, if you want that format, just use umdDate = format_date_time( "yyyy-MM-dd", getProperty( "umdLastObtained"), "yyyyMMdd" )

Last edited:

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
you wouldn't use it where humans were going to read it.

*snicker* I use it all the time in cases where I need date information embedded in a human readable file name and I have serious limitations on the screen real estate available for display. Sometimes two characters matter ;-) (YYYYMMDD vs YYYY MM DD). It is also easy to explain the sort behavior, even to people who think 09/01/2014 is January 9, 2014 instead of September 1, 2014.

Bale

Minion
Edit2, if you want that format, just use umdDate = format_date_time( "yyyy-MM-dd", getProperty( "umdLastObtained"), "yyyyMMdd" )

I'd prefer to compare get_property("umdLastObtained") == now_to_string("yyyy-MM-dd") since the syntax is less complicated.