Make your scripts automatically update their data files!

zarqon

I noticed that just this morning (it's 5pm now here), but unfortunately haven't had time to do anything about it. I've barely even had time to play in the last couple weeks. Anyway, I just emailed the sysadmin, hope to figure out what's up soon.

It affects me even more since my email is on that same server. :/

zarqon

Server's back up. Evidently the cable modem provided by the cable company was crapping out. New modem, all systems go.

StDoodle

Minion
I can't believe I haven't run across this particular thread before... I was looking into doing something similar, and remembered bale's UR seemed to automatically dl data files, and poking around led me here.

Of course, what I'm planning to do is a bit outside of the norm (isn't it always for me?), but I'm thinking I can still make use of what you have going fairly easily. I don't suppose, though, that you've given any thought to an upload_current_map() function to allow scripts to automatically load their data files back onto your server?

As mentioned, I'm doing something weird... I want to be able to share certain clan information (stash activity, debts & credits, items already distributed by player) between HCN mods. Up to now, each clan dungeon has had one dedicated mod to track its use and payment for such by clan members, which:

1. puts a lot of extra work on a small number of shoulders
  2. means things go "kerplunk" whenever one of the mods quits / goes on vacation / etc.
I'm hoping that, if I can manage a way to upload to your server from the script, it will become fairly easy to share all of the relevant data between clan mods in a way that one can easily do current dungeon administration without worrying about what has and hasn't been tracked by some other mod.

Of course, this also would have come in hand for Daily Deeds... but I've already refactored that thing once... ;)

P.S. This also pushes me even more to think that zLib needs something on the mafia wiki...

Edit to add:

P.P.S. If there was a way to restrict who could make uploads, that would be frabjoyous! I'd really rather not have it possible for anyone to update a file that erased their debt history.

Last edited:

Bale

Minion
I seem to have lost the ability to update maps. When I click the "upload" button on zarqon's map manager it refreshes the page without uploading anything.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Winterbay

I tried uploading my current version of batfactors and it didn't do anything, now granted this is the same version that is already uploaded so I don't know if that even should work. I seem to remember getting a message when I uploaded earlier but it says nothing now.

Bale

Minion
It should work, but the website still says that batfactors was last updated on 7-17-11 22:54. Since that is not today's date, obviously you failed to update it. It's nice to know I'm not the only one having a problem. Or maybe that is not nice.

zarqon

I can't upload to it either. I hope Zarqon gets his computer fixed soon so he's able to deal with this.

Winterbay

That slacker zarqon should really get his act together in regards to that computer of his :)

(how are you doing on that btw?)

zarqon

I was pretty sure I could fix it myself, but despite several attempts at reworking the video chip (my most recent attempt with a propane cooking torch and a handheld infrared thermometer), it still doesn't have video when I turn it on. I suspect I was overly careful and just didn't get it hot enough, but I've pretty much had it with attempting to repair it myself. HP doesn't have a big support presence in Korea, and I'm trying to avoid sending it to them anyway since I'm fairly sure it would be more expensive than it needs to be -- they'd probably want to replace the whole motherboard. My next attempt is a local computer repair shop, and if that fails, whatever HP service center I can find in Seoul.

This has been a very bad year for me and expensive possessions. Besides the laptop meltdown, I got in a scooter accident that somehow ruined the crankshaft, went swimming with my new Galaxy S II in my pocket, and had a $1200 guitar get lost in the mail on its way to me. Of those four very important possessions, only one of them is working correctly and in my possession at the moment. Blah.

Bale

Minion
Only one of those is working correctly and in your possession? I hope it is your guitar. It's clearly the most optimal of them.

Good luck. It sounds like you've had a pretty sucky year in some annoying ways. I truly hope it gets better from here on.

My next attempt is a local computer repair shop, and if that fails, whatever HP service center I can find in Seoul.

I'm pretty sure that propane cooking torches void your warranty so I hope your local computer repair shop can do the job.

Last edited:

xKiv

laptop meltdown ... scooter accident ... ruined the crankshaft ... swimming with my new Galaxy S II in my pocket ... $1200 guitar get lost in the mail
... Of those four very important possessions, only one of them is working correctly and in my possession at the moment. Blah.

The crankshaft (without the scooter).

shabob

Is the Map Manager accepting new files at this point? I've tried uploading one for a script I've been working on, but a week or so later, there's no sign of it on the list of files, and KoLmafia returns an error when my script tries load_current_map()

Winterbay

The site has some kind of error, noone appears to be able to update data files or upload new ones for that matter. Zarqon is, I believe, working on it but has a small lack of working computer atm...

zarqon

Put in a new motherboard (actually a slight upgrade while I was at it -- twice the video RAM). It booted, with video!

I played a game (Age of Mythology, one of my old faves).

Video overheated and cut out. Grrrrr.

Also on topic, I got some clues from my sysadmin about what the Map Manager issue might be. I'll try to have a look soon (it's been annoying me at least as much as it has you, I'm sure), but while the computer's not fixed it'll have to be from work -- and believe it or not, but I usually work there. Fingers crossed.

Also also, for reasons with which Bale is all too familiar, a few users may have been completely blocked from my server due to rather overly strict security measures. Those URLs have now been permitted, so further blocks ought not occur. I believe in the next couple days he's going to grep the logs looking for instances of this block, and unblock any users who were erroneously blocked. If after a couple days, your IP is still blocked (in which case zachbardon.com/mafiatools/ won't load for you in your browser), contact me with your IP to have it unblocked.

This has been a public service announcement, paid for by Zarqon for BAT KING OF THE WORLD. No part of this post was made from innocent baby seals. Why would you even ask that? Seriously.

I just saw this thread after posting in the zlib thread. i wonder if this recent discussion is why the familiar map isn't updated (though it's been since 2009 best i can tell)

zarqon

HP service center called today. Will cost a mere $500 to replace the motherboard (again) and heatsink. When they are finished, I will not only have my laptop back, but also two $100 frisbees! Not a bad deal.

All this because originally, they implemented a sorely lacking heatsink design in most of their dv series laptops. Not a bad business model -- at least for the first batch of suckers.

The actually good part of this is that whenever they get it back in my hands, I'll be operational again. After a brief game of Age of Mythology, fixing the Map Manager is first on my list.

@maximilian: Yes.