Can I carry Mafia's data with me on the go?

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
At around the time I stopped using my mac (because it was getting old), the latest version of OS X had Finder set to not search in ~/Library, making things a bigger pain. I had added the relevant folder to the quick folders on the left side of Finder (whatever that space is called), but it was still inconvenient. I'm curious how Veracity handles this, actually.

You can run the jar from anywhere to use the files, you don't have to stick it in that specific folder every time you download a new one.

Not quite true. Lost told you exactly how to make the mafia build keep the files, just like on a PC. But if you'd rather replace the computer, that's fine.
Your response is completely useless. My instructions are helpful (but not complete) if Terminal is used to run mafia every single time, but that's inconvenient. If it was the same jar file being run every time, some properties could likely be changed without too much hassle so that double-clicking would run everything properly. But that's not worth doing when a new jar is downloaded regularly.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
At around the time I stopped using my mac (because it was getting old), the latest version of OS X had Finder set to not search in ~/Library, making things a bigger pain. I had added the relevant folder to the quick folders on the left side of Finder (whatever that space is called), but it was still inconvenient. I'm curious how Veracity handles this, actually.that's not worth doing when a new jar is downloaded regularly.
I am running Mavericks. If I google "make library folder show up on a mac", the top hit is

How to view the ~/Library folder in Mavericks and Yosemite. I expect that El Capitan is the same. This is what you do.

1) Open a new Finder Window
2) Go to your home directory
3) Go to View -> Show View Options
4) Check the box that says "Show Library Folder"
5) Close the "View Options" dialog

That's it. You can then navigate down to your KoLmafia scripts and such.

What do I do? I don't find things in the Finder, if I can help it; I've been using Unix since version 7 was the current version and I am comfortable with the shell. I open and edit scripts from Emacs and run the .jar file from a Terminal window. I use "ls" to look at directories and "rm" and "mv" to delete and rename files. So, although I do have "Show Library Folder" checked, I can't think of the last time I looked in the Library using the Finder. Emacs is all I need. :)

Last edited:

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
I do remember some setting like that in Finder, but it was something that I had to change every time I opened it up. Maybe I was missing something, or maybe that has changed again in the last 4 years.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
You used to be able to do something like hold down the option key when opening a folder or something to have it show you the hidden files that one time. I don't know if that still exists or if there was a permanent setting for it, but what I just described will persist until you un-check it.

xKiv

But that's not worth doing when a new jar is downloaded regularly.

Put this in a file, and run as shell script?
Code:
P=$(ls -1 KoLmafia-?????*.jar | sort -nr | head -n 1)
java -jar "$P" -DuseCWDasROOT

(the ????? is there to ignore point releases, which would not sort in their "proper" place)

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I am running Mavericks. If I google "make library folder show up on a mac", the top hit is

How to view the ~/Library folder in Mavericks and Yosemite. I expect that El Capitan is the same.
I just upgraded to El Capitan. Installing Mavericks was the worst upgrade decision I ever made. El Capitan fixed the horrendous "every time my external hard disk spins up, the system freezes for seven seconds" bug that has been so infuriating. So far, so good with El Capitan.

In any case, I can verify that the method for showing your Library folder in the Finder is exactly the same for El Capitan as it is for the earlier OS X versions.

I'm doing something clever to make this work now. I put KoLmafia in iCloud Drive, along with DailyDownloader to automate updating it. I told DailyDownloader to use flash drive optimized settings, which, among other things, passes that -DuseCWDasROOT flag to KoLmafia when launching it. This way everything stays in one spot, regardless of OS.