Performing a System Upgrade

fewyn

Administrator
Staff member
I'm going to be upgrading the server the website sits on later tonight, I expect maybe an hour of downtime hopefully no more than that.

The upgrade will be around 9 PM EDT.

fewyn

Administrator
Staff member
Upgrade went miserably, stay tuned for the next maintance window!

I hate Debian.

Crowther

I'm very sorry to hear that. System upgrading is a bastard.
Yup.

What's frustrating is it's so unpredictable. I recently upgraded some non-critical machines that had missed something like 6 Ubuntu releases. They were so far gone I had to do two separate upgrades before it was new enough to handle a final update. Other than some web research and adding links to moved repositories it was pretty easy. Then sometimes I reboot a critical server (after negotiating to down time) and it won't come up anymore and after hours of single user mode, I find a config file was trashed. Luckily we got some unbudgeted money in the last few years and I've been able to increase redundancy and monitoring while removing dependencies. Things are a bit more relaxed now. Recently, at home my Ubuntu system failed to boot and I discovered boot-repair. It's magic!

So, my sympathies too. It's a thankless job.

fewyn

Administrator
Staff member
I was trying to upgrade from squeeze to wheezy, it all went horribly wrong and some stuff just wouldn't get working right so I rolled back the snapshot I made prior to performing the maintenance. Sadly I wasn't able to find anything useful to help me fix it.

Catch-22

I was trying to upgrade from squeeze to wheezy, it all went horribly wrong and some stuff just wouldn't get working right so I rolled back the snapshot I made prior to performing the maintenance. Sadly I wasn't able to find anything useful to help me fix it.

I'm in the process of upgrading from Lenny to Wheezy, what were you having troubles with?

fewyn

Administrator
Staff member
Dovecot not wanting to play nice and a bunch of other issues that just frustrated me.

On to other news, we're going to have a very extended downtime this Friday. Time is TBD but it's going to be at the very least several hours as I migrate stuff around and get the system up to date.

fewyn

Administrator
Staff member
Forums are back online, auto build service is currently not running but should be up hopefully tonight or late tomorrow.

Wiki is offline.

fewyn

Administrator
Staff member
Took a lot longer than I wanted, a lot of it was making sure I had current backups of almost everything.

fewyn

Administrator
Staff member
Wiki "should" be operational now. Next is getting automatic builds working again.

fewyn

Administrator
Staff member
Probably forgot to chmod some directories, I'll get on to that either in a few minutes or first thing in the morning.

fewyn

Administrator
Staff member
The build script is alive now and should be building once again every hour.

Bale

Minion
No rush. Obviously.

I found another, slightly more significant problem with this forum.

If you have posted, and click on the "Edit Post" button to edit your post in ajax, when you click the "save" button, the post won't apparently save. It looks like it is stuck in a wait. If I refresh the page I can see that the edited post did change, it just didn't update the browser.

Bale

Minion
No rush. Obviously.

If you have posted, and click on the "Edit Post" button to edit your post in ajax, when you click the "save" button, the post won't apparently save. It looks like it is stuck in a wait. If I refresh the page I can see that the edited post did change, it just didn't update the browser.

Last edited:

fewyn

Administrator
Staff member
Seems I forgot to install ImageMagick, and that has been resolved now for the wiki.

fewyn

Administrator
Staff member
No rush. Obviously.

That's really weird. I'll have to poke around with that.