gCLI buffer - can it be made larger or piped to a file?

Magus_Prime

When running a script at higher levels of zlib verbosity the gCLI buffer fills and there's no way to capture the entire list of debugging information for analysis.

Is there any way to make the gCLI buffer larger or pipe/redirect the script output to a file on the command line?

Thanks in advance.

Magus_Prime

Hmmm... Hadn't thought of that. Most of it is there but not everything. For what's there every line starts with a greater than sign and there's some HTML formatting commands but it's there.

Thank you.

I'd still be interested in knowing if what I'm asking is possible without going to the session log as some things are not in the session log.

Last edited:

Theraze

Not necessarily. When the devs are asking for troubleshooting and something is especially persnickety, they often ask for both gCLI and the session log, since they usually have different information in them. And you can change whether print/print_html gets into the session log, for example.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
I need to remember mirror because it is definitely the case that there is gCLI output that is not written to the session log.

As for the scroll buffer, it was increased a couple years ago. It turns out that, at the time, the gCLI scroll buffer and some other artifact (chat buffer?) used the same underlying class which only allowed for one fixed size. So increasing the buffer for the gCLI also increased it for the Chat window and the folks who opened multiple chats complained loudly and vigorously because their systems were running out of memory. A compromise value was selected and AFAIK none of the devs has been motivated enough to revisit the issue.

Fluxxdog

Just got me thinking of a running joke in my D&D campaigns.

Dwarves: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Gnomes: If it ain't broke, FIX IT ANYWAY!