Best Between Battle Script Ever -- formerly AutoMCD

zarqon

@Magus: my local copy already does that, but I'm still deliberating about whether to include another feature I've added locally. I've changed my BBB to keep me Ultrahydrated in the Arid Desert (setting-controlled), but I'm not sure it's something the masses would appreciate. Long, long ago there were two separate desert locations you could auto-adventure, one of which would hydrate you and one of which wouldn't. That doesn't seem to be the case anymore, but I'm not sure what has functionally replaced it for mafia users. So, question:

How do y'all currently manage the Desert? Do you maintain Ultrahydration or do you deal with the the negative effects somehow?

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
How do y'all currently manage the Desert? Do you maintain Ultrahydration or do you deal with the the negative effects somehow?

If you aren't Ultrahydrated, you can't get pages for the quest. If you get all the pages and still need to adventure there, suffering through the negative effects is reasonable. If the quest isn't active, you don't get negative effects, so there is no reason to hydrate.

Magus_Prime

I'll just add that there are a couple other places where BBB (or MM or DD) will do things that absolutely make sense in run but are problematic outside although I am hard pressed to cite a specific location at this moment. But Guzzlr and Bounty are likely sources. Fun House?

Also flexibility on the definition of in run would be helpful. My never ascended, prism unbroken character does find benefit from BBB etc.

Yeah...the Fun House, as Crowther just pointed out, comes to mind as well.

zarqon: instead of in-run would you consider checking whether the relevant quests are still "active"? I can't think of a circumstance where clownosity and surgeonosity are needed outside the quests.

zarqon

Okay, thanks to lost's helpful clarification, we have r38:

New setting bbb_autooasis (default true) controls whether to automatically visit the Oasis to get Ultrahydrated if you are exploring the desert and haven't already gotten all 15 manual pages.

Also:

• Attempt to equip Guzzlr items when delivering booze. For that matter, attempt to 'acquire' the booze (unless it's platinum booze; you'll have to do that part someotherhow). The equipment swapping is not perfect as "-tie" will still enigmatically swap a lot of irrelevant gear, which depending on what you have available may unequip something necessary like pirate fledges or a personal respirator. I'm still pondering the best way for BBB to handle equipment; I thought maximize would be best but it's looking like for that to work I'm going to have to find a way to let BBB know about every required piece of equipment for every location.
  • Use the correct bounty properties to determine whether you should fight a monster copy. Looks like this wasn't updated since the bounty revamp! Guess everyone's done with bounties.
  • Don't swap familiars if you've just taken a detour to fight a protonic accelerator ghost (this prevents various weirdnesses, like when you take a detour from adventuring underwater).
  • Don't maximize Clownosity and Surgeonosity unless they are relevant.
  • Maximize with the "sea" keyword when underwater if you haven't already got it covered.

Enjoy!

zarqon

Thanks, but that script looks like it requires 8 other scripts to equip gear, so I gave up diving down the rabbit hole to find out how it does it. :) Explicit calls to equip() -- if that's what it's doing -- are easy; I'm trying to build a custom maximizer string for your location and situation (chunks of this string may exist for multifarious reasons: you're on a quest, you're a certain path, you're in a certain location), and not mess with any of your other equipment, and not bother calling it if you already meet the requirements. Unfortunately the maximizer has inaccessible, built-in tiebreakers for a lot of items, so unwanted equipment keeps getting equipped even when using -tie. But I'm not quite ready to give up on a solution using the maximizer yet, so for now this is what we have.

Magus_Prime

Not to be a pest but would you consider putting the logic for the equipping of the Guzzlr items behind a bbb_ option that would allow the user to enable or disable the function?

In aftercore I use Taltamir's Guzzlr script to automatically perform a set of deliveries and now BBB's equip logic is "fighting" with the Guzzlr script.

Thank you for your consideration and the work you do to make this game more interesting and fun.

Last edited:

zarqon

Last night I put in some work on enhancing the equipment handling. We now only call maximize if you are missing any requirements. And, if you are missing any requirements, we add all of them to the maximizer string rather than just the missing ones.

Give r39 a try and see if a setting is still wanted.

Magus_Prime

I grabbed the BBB update and took a look at how it is handling the Guzzlr gear. The character is out of turns for the day but I'm pretty sure that the problem will still exist, just to a lesser degree.
When delivering for Guzzlr, even manually, I rarely bothered with the hat. The extra stats just aren't that important, for me, in aftercore.

I think what will happen is:

• I will run guzzlr.ash
  • Guzzlr.ash will equip what it wants
  • After the first combat BBB will equip what it wants and add the hat to the mix
  • Prior to the start of combat guzzlr.ash will take the hat off
  • Etc..

I'll let you know for sure tomorrow. :)

zarqon

I don't see anything in guzzlr.ash about unequipping the hat. That happened with the old BBB because you had only part of the outfit equipped, so it kept maximizing for the parts you were missing without also specifying the parts you already had on. The new logic is smarter so if I had to guess, I'd say your first three steps are correct but after that you won't see any more swapping.

Magus_Prime

This is what is now happening between every encounter during a Guzzlr delivery attempt:

Code:
Maximizer: equip Guzzlr hat, equip Guzzlr pants, equip Guzzlr shoes, -tie
Maximizing...
2816 combinations checked, best score 0.00
Putting on Guzzlr hat...
Equipment changed.
Wielding garbage sticker...
Equipment changed.
Holding KoL Con 13 snowglobe...
Equipment changed.
Putting on Camp Scout backpack...
Equipment changed.
Putting on Mr. Cheeng's spectacles...
Equipment changed.
Putting on Xiblaxian holo-wrist-puter...
Equipment changed.
Putting on Mayflower bouquet...
Equipment changed.
Checkpoints cleared.
[INFO] - Equipping Guzzlr shoes to slot acc1
[INFO] - Equipping mafia thumb ring to slot acc2
Maximizer: 5item,meat,0.5initiative,0.1da 1000max,dr,0.5all res,1.5mainstat,mox,-fumble,0.4hp,0.2mp 1000max,3mp regen,0.25spell damage,1.75spell damage percent,2familiar weight,-equip sword behind inappropriate prepositions,-equip staph of homophones,-equip Snow Suit,-equip deceased crimbo tree,-equip broken champagne bottle,-equip tinsel tights,-equip wad of used tape,-equip makeshift garbage shirt,-pants,-equip Kramco Sausage-o-Matic™,+equip Guzzlr shoes,+equip mafia thumb ring
Maximizing...
10000 combinations checked, best score 12,716.10
Putting on Thunkula's drinking cap...
Equipment changed.
Wielding Fourth of May Cosplay Saber...
Equipment changed.
Holding Adventurer bobblehead...
Equipment changed.
Putting on terra cotta train...
Equipment changed.
Putting on mafia thumb ring...
Equipment changed.
Putting on Garland of Greatness...
Equipment changed.
Putting on plastic pumpkin bucket...
Equipment changed.
Checkpoints cleared.

At the end of an encounter BBB fires with it's logic for what it wants to equip then, prior to the start of the next encounter, guzzlr.ash fires with it's own logic.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Tangentially, I am running BBS and doing Guzzlr deliveries manually and I have never seen BBS attempt to change my equipment, perhaps because I have the Guzzlr outfit equipped and am manually changing elements (i.e. fledges) required for areas?

zarqon

The Guzzlr script evidently maximizes between every adventure with a default 'good things to raise' list and explicitly specifies a bunch of items to not equip, and definitely overrides whatever the player chose to equip. BBB tries to be much less heavy-handed by keeping the maximizer string as minimal as possible, and not calling maximize at all unless you're definitely missing a required item (which you will be, since Guzzlr keeps unequipping the hat). I think your request here for a control setting is justified but perhaps a request over there would be desirable as well -- if it's a script that runs the Guzzlr quest from beginning to end, does it need to maximize your gear between every adventure? Doubtful.

For now, I've added a setting bbb_changegear (default true) to toggle all of BBB's equipment swapping. r40. It also adds more equipment changes for certain areas.

@frono: I believe if you were to simply accept your Guzzlr quest and add a condition for +1 Guzzlrbuck, you could adv * <location> to complete the quest without bothering to change gear or acquire the booze (unless it's platinum). Or you could try "quest 3693; quest 3697; quest 3699" but that might only work for you. ;)

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
and not calling maximize at all unless you're definitely missing a required item (which you will be, since Guzzlr keeps unequipping the hat)

I'm surprised BBB considers the Guzzlr hat a required item. Not that I have any preference, since I don't use any automation scripts.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I made an outfit with the Guzzlr pants and shoes and wore that while I manually did 3 bronze, 3 gold, and 1 platinum delivery a day until I'd maxed out the modifiers on my Guzzlr tablet (and got enough Guzzlr bucks to get all the Stuff). I don't anticipate ever completing another delivery, thank the gods.

I do use automation scripts - my own and a few of Ezandora's. Some of them depend on named outfits and some maximize, but I can't imagine why a script would maximize every turn (except Fernswarthy's Basement, which changes every turn). Once per execution or, maybe, once per zone, if you want to manipulate non-combats, say.

But, as I said, I have no horse in this race.

Magus_Prime

I think your request here for a control setting is justified but perhaps a request over there would be desirable as well -- if it's a script that runs the Guzzlr quest from beginning to end, does it need to maximize your gear between every adventure? Doubtful.

For now, I've added a setting bbb_changegear (default true) to toggle all of BBB's equipment swapping. r40. It also adds more equipment changes for certain areas.

The Guzzlr script seems to inherit the "maximize every turn" logic from autoscend. For autoscend it, may make some sense as the script can, at times, change encounter locations frequently. I raised the issue some time ago but don't anticipate a change. Thank you for adding the BBB setting!

@Veracity: I'm still grinding through the bronze deliveries or I would have stopped too.

Last edited: