Feature More monster info

ckb

Minion
Staff member
I have been working on a relay script for fight.php, to display some additional monster info. This supplements the info that Mafia already has displayed, and supplements the info from the Monster Manuel.

However, I wonder if some of this might be better integrated into the standard mafia interface (that would be my preference). Mafia already lists some of this info, so why not more?

In addition to hp/atk/def/type
I would like to add:
% Occurance in the zone (useful for knowing if you should olfact or banish)
elemental alignment and weaknesses (cause I always forget those)
Current inventory quantity for all drops (not just drop rates, so I can know if jiggling a meat staff or using a yellow ray is justified)

also, It would be nice to list adjusted drop rates, instead of base drop rates. Mafia already knows the user's item drop bonuses, so it should be nice for it to do that math.

ckb

Theraze

So you'd like:
Occurance:
appearance_rates(my_location())[last_monster()]
Example:
> ash appearance_rates(my_location())[$monster[animated mahogany]]

Returned: 10.0
Elemental alignment:
last_monster().attack_element
last_monster().defense_element
Example
> ash $monster[groar].attack_element

Returned: cold

> ash $monster[groar].defense_element

Returned: cold
And inventory quantity...
foreach it,ra in item_drops_array(last_monster()) print_html(ra.drop+": "+item_amount(ra.drop)+" - "+(ra.rate*(100+item_drop_modifier())/100));
As an example of that:
> ashq foreach it,ra in item_drops_array(to_monster("harem guard")) print_html(ra.drop+": "+item_amount(ra.drop)+" - "+(ra.rate*(100+item_drop_modifier())/100));

Knob Goblin deluxe scimitar: 1 - 17.5
Knob nuts: 1 - 26.25

Last edited:

ckb

Minion
Staff member
Theraze, you misunderstand me. I have this done (as a relay override script). But it is so awesome, I though it would be nice to add this as standard information for all Mafia users. Share the wealth!

Limp.JPG

Bale

Minion
Too much is cluttery.

Meh. I like ChIT. Who am I to criticize what you're doing?

Last edited:

roippi

Developer
The idea is fine but the presentation is lacking. Example: adjusted drop rates could be mouseover text.

I'm wondering though if the whole thing shouldn't be in some sort of javascript collapsobox.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
If weakness was added, it might belong next to the already elementally-colored monster name.

Monster occurrence rate is inaccurate due to the queue and such, and it doesn't take into account if a monster is already being tracked or if something is banished.

I prefer seeing base drop rates instead of adjusted drop rates. If I don't have enough +item, it's easier to figure out how much I'm missing. Adding in unrecognized things like the +25% florist is more straightforward when you start with the base rate. Listing both base and adjusted there is too much.

Now that I see other replies, having it as hover text or a collapsible box could work. Would it be collapsed by default or not? I think people will ask for the opposite of whatever is done, unless they don't realize there is a collapsed box to expand.

roippi

Developer
Would it be collapsed by default or not?

Well there are three modes that I can think of and only two make sense:

- always starts collapsed
- starts expanded, collapsed state persists across page refreshes / different monsters
- always starts expanded

The third mode doesn't make sense on a page that gets reloaded all the time. The second mode probably addresses the widest number of concerns.

Bale

Minion
Monster occurrence rate is inaccurate due to the queue and such, and it doesn't take into account if a monster is already being tracked or if something is banished.

It can also be inaccurate when a zone contains more than 1 copy of a given monster. This affects Hole in the Sky, Icy Peak, Degrassi Knoll and the Airship.

Of course, not having seen the script it is quite possible that ckb accounted for this, tracking AND banishment. You're merely assuming his script is inadequate to the stated task.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
The 12.9% figure in his screen shot looks like +5% noncombat and no queue taken into account. Which isn't surprising, with how complicated it would be to track the queue everywhere.

Theraze

Yeah... personally I'd prefer this either always be collapsed or not included. It's more information than I generally need (I go to the relay browser to finish fights). Since this can be done by relay overrides already, I'm not convinced this should be added to base-mafia.

ckb

Minion
Staff member
I'm not going to push this, as I now have a relay fight script that is doing most everything I want.

Though now that we have reliable initiave info for all monsters, it would be nice to add this to the standard interface, along with the hp/atk/def/type info that is there now. Think of it as filling in Manuel data for those without manuels.
And element type is not really necessary, as KoL decorates the monster name already.

As for the occurance info, I'll leave that for another (longer) discussion.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Initiative is interesting, but once you see the monster, you already won or lost it, right? I'm glad they have opened up this mechanic to us, but I'm honestly not sure how it is useful after the fact.

What do you mean by "KoL decorates the monster name already"? Are you referring to the way KoLmafia changes the color of the monster name to reflect the element? I.e., you didn't realize that it is KoLmafia, not KoL, which is doing the decoration? :)

Theraze

Additionally, monsters can have an elemental attack, elemental defense, or just a straight elemental alignment... It's useful to know which, if any, are set.

ckb

Minion
Staff member
What do you mean by "KoL decorates the monster name already"? Are you referring to the way KoLmafia changes the color of the monster name to reflect the element? I.e., you didn't realize that it is KoLmafia, not KoL, which is doing the decoration? :)

Really? Huh. Thanks for that.
I guess this shows how much I have played this game without Mafia.

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
Initiative is interesting, but once you see the monster, you already won or lost it, right? I'm glad they have opened up this mechanic to us, but I'm honestly not sure how it is useful after the fact.

I believe initiative is also used for calculating chance of non-free runaways, but I'm not sure why that would be relevant now. (AFAIK, this was one of the methods used for calculating initiative... but that's not necessary anymore)

I suppose it'd be useful outside of combat when determining whether a zone is safe or not, but I'm not sure what interface I would find both useful and non-obtrusive.

ckb

Minion
Staff member
As a non-optimal player, I sometimes find myself in combats where I am getting my ass kicked. Being able to see the initiave of the monster doing the kicking gives me info for the future, so I can learn and modify my behavior for the next round. This is why I find initiave useful... even if I can do nothing about it by the time I see it.

Darzil

Developer
As a non-optimal player, I sometimes find myself in combats where I am getting my ass kicked. Being able to see the initiave of the monster doing the kicking gives me info for the future, so I can learn and modify my behavior for the next round. This is why I find initiave useful... even if I can do nothing about it by the time I see it.

I'm not desperate to have it visible in combat, would be nice to see it visible in the location details panel, ideally with a calculation based on the monsters, your initiative and current ML giving the chance of getting jumped (along with the current chance of getting hit and hitting). I'm not sure the updated figures are yet in Mafia, though.

mstieler

I'm not desperate to have it visible in combat, would be nice to see it visible in the location details panel, ideally with a calculation based on the monsters, your initiative and current ML giving the chance of getting jumped (along with the current chance of getting hit and hitting). I'm not sure the updated figures are yet in Mafia, though.

This would be more helpful, IMO.

xKiv

That could probably go wherever mafia currently puts "(X% free)" for free runaways.
In old interface, that's on the run away button. Where does it go with wowbar?

ckb

Minion
Staff member
In light of the new plant IOTM and this discussion discussion, I think this request needs to be re-evaluated (or ignored, or combined). There are some larger issues here about how to present all the new info that has flooded the fight page.