Skill BS (Buying Script, no pun intended)

Leperconartist

I don't really know how to write about my script rofl but here goes... I always forget to buy my skills so I developed a script that would read a TSV file (Tab Seperated Values), and it will buy all skills that I set to "Yes". These are the different files.

List of Skills.xls - I use this Microsoft Excel file to choose what skills I would like to buy. Everything that I want to buy is set to "yes" in the buy? column, if I don't want to buy a skill I set it to "no" but you can set it to anything other than "yes" and it won't buy it. Once I've set everything up how I want it I highlight everything written go into Skill_Info.txt delete everything that is there and copy and paste all the new information into it.

Skill_Info.txt - This is the TSV file that Skill BS.ash, and Skill Printer.ash will read.

Skill Printer.ash - This script prints all the information in Skill_Info.txt for a specific class. For each skill it shows: the name of the skill, the price, what kind of skill it is, the mp cost if there is one, whether you have it set to be bought, and it gives the description.

Skill BS.Ash This reads a property in your prefs called SkillsAtLevel, it will compare it to your characters level and if it isn't high enough it will go through the information in Skill_Info.txt and for each skill it will: check whether you want to buy the skill, then it will check if you already have it, then it will check if you can afford it and finally it will buy the skill. After it's gone through all of your skills it will update the SkillsAtLevel property.

Is there a way I could edit my moods so that it would load this script anytime I gain a level?

Attachments

• Skill_Info.txt
    13.4 KB · Views: 122

jasonharper

Developer
Is there a way I could edit my moods so that it would load this script anytime I gain a level?
Not directly. You could set an unconditional trigger to run a little script that compares your current level to a number saved in a preference, updating that pref (and calling your main script) if they're different.

Alhifar

Out of curiosity, is there a difference between a betweenBattleScript and a script ran off of an unconditional mood trigger?

Bale

Minion
A betweenBattleScript will only run after a fight, while a mood trigger will run both before and after automation. Considering that you can run a full script in a mood trigger, I'd say that's practically no difference at all.

jasonharper

Developer
There is another subtle difference: mood triggers are run inside of an outfit checkpoint (along with HP/MP restoration), so any equipment changes they make will be undone before adventuring continues. The betweenBattleScript is outside of that checkpoint, so that's what you'd have to use if you intended a change to be permanent (perhaps a script that automatically upgrades your equipment as better items become equippable?).