New Content - Implemented Sword of Procedural Generation and Maximiser

Darzil

Developer
I guess because it is different for everyone, the sword doesn't have it's stats in the database. As a result it does not appear to be used in Maximiser. Due to it's extreme stats, however, many will be best in slot sometimes. I've no real idea of the best way to handle this (write and delete override each time? Update the database when sword presence is read? Store in mafia character variables and update database from there?), and appreciate it's a bit niche.

Theraze

We do have a few other items that load their modifiers on login such as the Tuesday's Ruby and... I can't remember the other off-head. If memory serves, they have a special modifier override section which gets called when the character loads. Something similar would probably enable this relatively easily?

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Tuesday's ruby is still hard-coded. I think a player variable would be needed for the sword (itemModifierXXXX to generalize it), and for Thinknerd's shirt.

Fluxxdog

10 to one says this just the start of nifty customized goodies. Pen Pal, yeti name, Sword... Question is going to be what's next.

Crowther

Sword of Procedural Generation support

I just got my sweet sword and I got a useful one, but mafia doesn't see it's modifiers. I deleted the sword from mafia's known items and now it works correctly (at least for +% moxie). Could it be possible to add something to the code to use mafia's unknown item routine to parse the sword's modifiers?

Bale

Minion
I was inclined to say that it was a minor thing to add to mafia, but I'll admit it troubles me that mafia can handle the sword best if it isn't in the data file.

Crowther

I was inclined to say that it was a minor thing to add to mafia, but I'll admit it troubles me that mafia can handle the sword best if it isn't in the data file.
Yeah, it's my odd personality, that if it didn't work at all I wouldn't have reported it, but not working because it's listed makes me feel uncomfortable. I got very lucky and my sword is part of my optimal moxie outfit, which I use pretty often. Hell, moxie and item. Should be very nice come Crimbo.

Orbrisa

Crowther's thread about supporting the damage to types reminded me of this ... my SOPG has a +myst enchantment that's big enough to be better than hamster and stick for maximizing myst and MP, but Mafia doesn't know this. It would be convenient if it did.

So, bumping this with a request to add a user variable for to track the sword's enchantments (at least the already supported ones), as bmaher mentions here.

Fluxxdog

One thing I noticed, if your sword is in Hangk's, you cannot look at the values as it tells you the sword "doesn't exist". I can't test the display case as I'm in Ronin at the moment.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I've never gotten the sword (still waiting to get a Jick jar after 81 days and counting), and when I try looking at it, it says

That item doesn't exist. Yet.

Last time I tried looking at the description was a few days ago when I ran "checkitems". At that time, it told me

This item is not yet implemented.

(Which is also what it says for the anniversary pewter cape, by the way.)

xKiv

One thing I noticed, if your sword is in Hangk's, you cannot look at the values as it tells you the sword "doesn't exist". I can't test the display case as I'm in Ronin at the moment.

Mine is in DC and description displays everything ... but I got in in this ascension, I imagine that can be relevant.

With a bunch of people pursuing Swords of Procedural Generation in anticipation of the new clan dungeon, this bug/feature request is becoming all the more relevant.

Someone mentioned the possibility of loading each user's unique Sword stats at login...?

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
An extra server hit every time you log in? That's a non-starter. Perhaps storing the enchantments in a per-user setting, once, when you first look at it.

I'm sure something will be done with this, eventually.

Fluxxdog

And suddenly I'm reminded of an old joke. "Telling gamers to be patient is like herding cats. You're nuts if try to do either."

Darzil

Developer
So, I think this is done as someone added jickSwordModifier to preferences at some point (not going to go through records to work out who, but thanks whomever it was !