Script Registry -- for script authors; track your script usage

Darzil

Developer
It's kinda nice that Manuel will keep us from ever again lacking monster data. On the other hand, it seems kinda contrary to the spirit of KoL for the game to just give that information away instantly. Ah well, I guess the intense monster spaders of yesteryear no longer exist and spading just isn't a large part of KoL anymore so we might as well get in-game stats.

Spading wasn't too hard anyway, other than in areas such as Dis where you couldn't use the dwarf war outfit. Item drop rate spading is still needed, and spading is still needed for scaling monsters, who often have a floor, a cap, and handle ML and Radio (etc) ML differently, as well as calculating HP in different ways.

Bale

Minion
Spading wasn't too hard anyway, other than in areas such as Dis where you couldn't use the dwarf war outfit.

Despite that, we went an entire challenge season without ever getting good stats for any invading bugbears. That's all I have to say.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Remember me? Registry.ash has stopped doing anything useful and just generates snarky comments in response to query strings. I wonder if that is because a server is now only accepting https?

:)

zarqon

Ugh. Yep, that's probably it. I really wonder where the POST data is getting stripped. The really confusing thing is that the visit_url() commands that fail actually don't fail when they're called in the CLI using the "ash" command. Identical ASH commands, different results.

Anyway, I've uploaded a version with the 's' to the first post, which should fix it until/if we ever figure out why this is happening. Your comment has also brought to light an instance where I'm still using the thread-checking version check. :)

Also haha, those snarky comments were supposed to be hacker rewards, not default behavior. :)

zarqon

Thanks for the heads up. From some initial poking, it looks like we've run afoul of the same problem we ran up against several years back, where the data file hit a size limit. The current data file is 0 bytes and was updated on February 28th, so my best guess is that's when it stopped working and the empty file now prevents expected behavior. I'll go into the backups and see what I can do.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Thanks for the heads up. From some initial poking, it looks like we've run afoul of the same problem we ran up against several years back, where the data file hit a size limit. The current data file is 0 bytes and was updated on February 28th, so my best guess is that's when it stopped working and the empty file now prevents expected behavior. I'll go into the backups and see what I can do.

If you went into the backups, and thought you did something, it didn't work. Otherwise I will exercise patience. :)

zarqon

Apologies for not mentioning it -- I reset the Registry when I got back, so if you re-register your scripts it should work again, although your previous information will not show up. It is not lost, however. I retrieved the most recent non-zero-file-size data file out of the backups, and saved it next to the old one from several years back. So, whenever I get around to rewriting the Registry to not use a text file for data storage we can add all that information back in. I had been excitedly learning SQL for this several years ago when we had the problem originally, but found it frustrating to learn and kind of gave up. We shall see whether I can find motivation before this happens again (or: third time's the charm??).

Pop poll: how do developers/coders around here pronounce SQL? 'Sequel' or 'S-Q-L'?

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Pop poll: how do developers/coders around here pronounce SQL? 'Sequel' or 'S-Q-L'?

I tend to say Sequel but a lot depends upon context. I will adopt what the other party in the conversation uses so if you say S-Q-L I will respond in kind. I also think if there are a lot of unpronounceable acronyms in the conversation I drift towards spelling them all out.

zarqon

I still get a blank page

Ah, that is odd. I hadn't realized that was still happening, thanks for mentioning it. Took and look and not immediately sure why that's happening, given that the code hasn't been changed in years. Have added it to the list.