Space Tripper: automatic Space Trip

Ethelred

This script's been having one or two new users trickle in every day pretty consistently...except for yesterday, when there were suddenly about 30 new ones. And today, there were more than 90.

So...um...hi?

I guess this probably has something to do with Lord Flameface, but...yikes.

More likely, it's the new PvP season and the fact that Space Trip figures in one of the PvP minis.

guyy

Ah...oh. Oh my. Not being a PvP-er myself, I didn't even notice.

Wait, the mini even has the same name as the script? Probably just coincidence, but that's still kinda crazy.

Ruby Eyes

Hiya!

So, thank you very much for this script! :) I'm indeed using it for PvP preparation the lazy way. The tickets it collects are a nice bonus :)
However, I think I found an unhandled condition just now:
Action: Visit Thanatos
Crew: 215. Gas: 30 gallons. Money: 5,151 Crabs. Time left: 1 weeks.
Action: Hire a crew member (10 Crabs each, 4 available)
Crew: 219. Gas: 30 gallons. Money: 5,111 Crabs. Time left: 1 weeks.
Action: Gamma Quadrant
Not enough gas to reach the Source!
Here it stops and doesn't go further; I had to do the last few steps manually.
I think at that point (1 week left and being at the space station anyway), it should also ensure proper gas levels (35 in this case).
I didn't switch on any debugging beforehand, sorry about this.

Using kolmafia v15.3 r11236, script downloaded just a few hours ago.

guyy

That's pretty weird...it's supposed to fill up on gas before going to the Source, with:

Code:
gas_up(35,0);   // --> buy gas until you have at least 35, spend all available crabs if necessary
hire_all_crew();
omega_bomb();

...but apparently it didn't do that part for some reason. Do you still have the rest of the log from that game?

Last edited:

Yvain

Just saw this in the script and didn't remember it in the game (but could have missed it and in HC so can't check) but are planets' minerals described as "very vich" a la Startrek? If so great work TPTB.

Last edited:

Yendor

...but apparently it didn't do that part for some reason. Do you still have the rest of the log from that game?

What it appears to be doing is reach 35 gallons with one week to go, then head back to the base for crew, which uses up 5 gallons, leaving it without enough to reach the Source.

Week 402: Explore an uncharted Beta Quadrant system (20 gas)
Crew: 168. Gas: 35 gallons. Money: 5,489 Crabs. Time left: 2 weeks.
Exploring a planet!
Mineral level: 2
Bio level: 4
Anomaly probability: 26%
Sending a science expedition.
Action: Send a Science Expedition
Crew: 168. Gas: 35 gallons. Money: 5,489 Crabs. Time left: 1 weeks.
Action: Visit Huckleberry
Crew: 168. Gas: 30 gallons. Money: 5,489 Crabs. Time left: 1 weeks.
Action: Hire a crew member (10 Crabs each, 4 available)
Crew: 172. Gas: 30 gallons. Money: 5,449 Crabs. Time left: 1 weeks.
Action: Gamma Quadrant
Not enough gas to reach the Source!

Incidentally, the week count isn't resetting between games.

guyy

I was thinking that should be impossible, but it looks like you're right; gas_up() didn't go to the starbase because it already had 35 gas, but then it went to the starbase to get crew, had only 30 left, and got stuck. Derp. It goes to the starbase before checking fuel now, so it shouldn't freeze up at that point anymore.

I was considering fiddling with its general strategy, too, but then this happened, so I'm gonna...hold off on that for now, I guess.

(The erroneous week count is something Mafia's doing on its own, so I can't really fix that; not that it matters much anyway.)

Last edited:
I think tweaking the strategy is pretty far into diminishing returns at this point. Due to how RNG dependent Space Trip is, it's probably not worth all the testing that would be required to see if tweaks cause improvement or not, given how marginal those improvements would be.

Crowther

I think tweaking the strategy is pretty far into diminishing returns at this point. Due to how RNG dependent Space Trip is, it's probably not worth all the testing that would be required to see if tweaks cause improvement or not, given how marginal those improvements would be.
You only said that because you've tweaked your version and you want to beat us at the mini, right?

I actually PvPed post-revamp for the first time today, and was beaten in the Space Trip mini every time it came up. :D No, I'm pretty much lazily meandering through until I get all the rewards over the next couple of years.

Roger Ramjet

Used your script. It worked beautifully. Well done. Thanks.

One note.
The High Scores do not require three letters; one or two are acceptable (or none, but there really isn't any point to that).
I would suggest changing Line 355 from
else if (length(initials) == 3)
To
else if (1 <= (length(initials)) && (length(initials) <= 3))