Re: Forum hacked...

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Re: Forum hacked...

I was shocked when I came here this afternoon and was presented with a page that said "Hacked by SeaNPauL". I just don't "get" the psychology of people who think it's cool to hurt other people who are just harmlessly doing their own thing.

I used to have an ezboard forum - until a "hacker" (as they called it; I suspect "disgruntled ex-employee" is the real situation) went in and completely destroyed tens of thousands of forums - including mine - and deleted all the network-accessible backups (which is why I don't think any external "hacker" would have had the necessary knowledge). Maybe they were lashing out at ezboard, but they caused real harm to many thousands of their customers; there were actual businesses which had customer-support message boards there which were obliterated.

Somebody in Iocaine Powder taught me a term for people like that: "griefers".

I'd like to say that I greatly appreciate having you as the site admin here: you are capable and responsive and knowledgable and just an all around nice guy.

(Even if you did leave a security hole, this time, that allowed the vandalism; at least the "hacker" didn't wipe the database of messages or anything... :))

Thank you.