Which SDK?

Raven434

Hi All,

I browse over to the Sun Java site this morning looking to download a SDK to compile nightly builds.

I get there and discover that Sun has 4 different SDKs available and I am not sure which one "we use here".

The best contender appears to be here - http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp - Java SE Development Kit (JDK) 6 (11.Dec.06)

Sorry if this is a noob question.

Thanks!

Raven434

Did get it running.

Ant *IS* a pain in the ass. ::)

But it compiled just fine with 13 warnings about Sun proprietary bogosity blah-blah words......

Only 13 now? Last time I compiled I got twenty some. Well ant should no longer be a pain in the @$$ since you got it to work this time. I've found that it's a pain the first time, but after that just type ant, and wait.

holatuwol

Developer
Raven434 said:
I get there and discover that Sun has 4 different SDKs available and I am not sure which one "we use here".

We use Java SE. The exact version is up to the individual, but as long as it's Java 1.4 or later, everything should work correctly.

For release and pre-release testing purposes, I use Java 1.4.1 (currently deprecated) in order to make sure things are compatible with the Mac OS X 10.2 family. Veracity uses Java 1.4.2 because that's what Apple provides to the Mac OS X 10.3 family. For general development, I use Java 1.5 because I don't like seeing warnings about Sun proprietary code being deprecated. Most everyone else probably uses 1.6 because it's up-to-date.

Raven434

[quote author=efilnikufecin link=topic=993.msg4963#msg4963 date=1182884868]
Only 13 now? Last time I compiled I got twenty some. Well ant should no longer be a pain in the @$$ since you got it to work this time. I've found that it's a pain the first time, but after that just type ant, and wait.
[/quote]

Hahahahaha - yes - works like a champ. Take 18 whole seconds to build the .jar.

;D

Thanks for the clarification too, Hola!

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
[quote author=holatuwol link=topic=993.msg4965#msg4965 date=1182887508]
Veracity uses Java 1.4.2 because that's what Apple provides to the Mac OS X 10.3 family.[/quote]

Since my 5-year-old laptop (800 Mhz Powerbook G4) is literally falling apart, I have a new one on order. It will come with 10.4 - and 10.5 is coming soon and I expect I'll upgrade as soon as it's released.

So, I'll be using a more modern version of Java soon, I expect. :)