Running Mafia from a flash drive

Tpj_4000

I am going to be out of town for a few weeks for work and want to bring Mafia and all my scripts with me and still play KoL. However, I can't install anything on the work laptop.

So, I remember hearing about some development going on to write apps that run from flashdrives (like AIM, etc). Does anyone know if there is like a mini-OS environment wherein I could run mafia from my flash drive?

My friend had told me about http://portableapps.com/ and a google search brought up a host of others. My answer may be within my link, but has anyone done this? Anyone have any experience with this? General help?

Thanks in advance.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Mafia doesn't need to be installed, so you just need to copy the entire folder (with mafia and all the subfolders and stuff) onto your flash drive. Assuming all the computers run Windows, everything will use files on the USB drive just fine. With a mac or linux, I think you need to use a command line flag to tell mafia to use settings in the current directory rather than somewhere else, but I don't remember much about that.

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
Dropbox is also an option, since, as lostcalpolydude mentioned, you just need to copy the folder.

Tpj_4000

Yeah, I just realized how irrelevant my post was. I remember thinking it odd that I didn't need to install Mafia. Oh well, it'll give me an excuse to play with the portable apps suite.